Who here has subscribed to Stikbow E Mag.

General discussions. Politics, scuttlebutt, whatever: you're getting married, changing jobs, got a gripe or a compliment, dying to get out with the bow etc.....

Moderator: Moderators

wishsong

Re: Who here has subscribed to Stikbow E Mag.

#1 Post by wishsong » Mon Mar 14, 2011 7:39 pm

Onya Darren !
Its a good thing and great value for money ... I even won a DVD about some blokes hunting pigs up North ... you may have seen it ..... lol

that a Yes from me .

Nephew

#2 Post by Nephew » Mon Mar 14, 2011 7:49 pm

Yep, got a 12 month sub. :D
Lately, if life were treating me any better, I'd be suspicious of it's motives!

blu-dog

#3 Post by blu-dog » Mon Mar 14, 2011 9:38 pm

I've subscribed - and have also won some great prizes from the mag.

Well done Matt...I really appreciate all of your efforts and hard work!

C'mon guys - don't let the Sneaky bloke win everything - let's saboutage his plans for a clean sweep - :D
The best trophies I can hope to acquire as a husband, father, friend or hunter are MEMORIES!
They will travel with me wherever life's path leads...

Nephew

#4 Post by Nephew » Tue Mar 15, 2011 5:52 pm

You know, Stickbow Hunter is really good value when you think about it. It works out at about $3:30 per issue ( $20 a year, 6 issues a year) and if you have a conservationist streak, it involves no transport so therefore no diesel emissions from the trucks ( or worse, Av-gas or whatever from jets) needed to send paper mags out over the nation. Either way, tightarse or bushlover, you win! :D I reckon lets get behind Matt and back this one, it's gotta be more suitable for us than mags that have confounds in most stories/pics, yeah?
Go the Trad! Show your pride and support Stickbow Hunter! 8)

tracker

#5 Post by tracker » Tue Mar 15, 2011 7:58 pm

Spear Chucker.... matey... your post made me feel like a cheap ****... just subscribed... 20 bucks is not a lot for me at the moment but there have been times <4 kids> that it would have been a bit of a stretch...

As a <new> subscriber... one point I'd make... I've been involved in E-commerce since 1998 and I reckon it is a HUGE mistake to lock everything behind a paywall... you HAVE to 'tease' 'em to get 'em in. There should be at least a couple of stories out of each mag spammed all over the interwebs as hooks to get the sucke... err.... customers in. :mrgreen:

I know people that put EVERYTHING out in dribs and drabs for free as a hook to get people to pay. Works a treat. Just a thought.

Mick.
"One has been a bad spectator of life if one has not also seen the hand that in a considerate fashion - kills." Nietzsche.

tracker

#6 Post by tracker » Tue Mar 15, 2011 8:45 pm

Spear Chucker wrote: And by the way if you haven't seen the Jan Feb edition you guys are missing one of the most powerful and well written stories I have read that is a credit to the author.
Absolutely true, I just read it. Great story!

To Craig, good on you matey. Great to hear your doing so well. I'm sorry but I'm not sure who you are on here on ozbow...

Mick.
"One has been a bad spectator of life if one has not also seen the hand that in a considerate fashion - kills." Nietzsche.

Nephew

#7 Post by Nephew » Tue Mar 15, 2011 8:51 pm

I know that bloke Craig, Tracker. I reckon stay away from him, he's no good! :wink:... :D

ole_silver

#8 Post by ole_silver » Tue Mar 15, 2011 9:30 pm

it is a great mag, i make a copy to keep n show off around our club...

i seen some good stories written here......

can relate to the writers,

keep up the good work Matt.
ole_silver1..................

"have a go now, 'fore ya can't have a go at all"

Primitive Boy

#9 Post by Primitive Boy » Tue Mar 15, 2011 9:53 pm

Just a quick question, this mag written by the same guy on these forums, Stikbow Hunter? Probably rather obvious but I just wanted confirmation.

Nephew

#10 Post by Nephew » Tue Mar 15, 2011 10:12 pm

Nah Bud, that was just one those happy coincidences. The bloke who publishes it is known as Exelpoint 'round these parts. :)
Ol' Stickbow does own and run ( with help from others) this site, though.

Primitive Boy

#11 Post by Primitive Boy » Tue Mar 15, 2011 11:23 pm

Ohk thanks, I noticed one had a 'c' in stick and the other didn't. :D

longbow steve

#12 Post by longbow steve » Wed Mar 16, 2011 6:16 am

I stopped buying the magazines a year ago as I dont see much in them that I can see on the forums for free. I too think it is a mistake locking it away like Tracker suggests but can appreciate the amount of work that goes into it and the need to cover the costs. Primitive archer shows a feature story on their website from the up coming edition(this might be the compromise?
For the sake of a trad magazine I will subscribe today and endeavour to submit a story this year in the hope that it stays afloat :) . Steve

excelpoint

#13 Post by excelpoint » Wed Mar 16, 2011 7:40 pm

Thanks for the kind words guys. I wasn't going to post in this thread as I didn't want to be seen to be pushing my own agenda and I hope it dosent come across that way.

What I will say is that yes it does cost me a reasonable amount to run the mag (web site hosting, IT help etc) each year. This year I actually had to upgrade my server fees as I had blown my bandwidth allowance last year by a substantial amount, which in itself is a good thing because it means the mag was getting some good exposure. In anticipation for this year being the same I needed to upgrade to a higher package.

All that aside the first and foremost reason I do this mag is that I love Traditional bowhunting and love being able to bring something of what we do as many people as possible both here and overseas. Yes it does take a bit of work to get each issue done but I still do enjoy it.

Tracker I get what you are saying but I'm not sure if you realize it or not but there are two years worth of mags that are not locked away that can be viewed by anyone at any time regardless if they are a subscriber or not. The only issues not viewable to non subscribers are the 2011 issues.

I would love to be able to have one or two articles from each new issue on the website as a teaser but considering the amount of submissions coming in that would not leave a lot of content for the actual issue itself that has not already been read. With more submissions it would certainly be a possibility. One of my main goals this year was to raise enough funds to be able to offer payments for next years articles. It would not quite be as much as the ABA mag offers but I thought it would be another way of giving back to the readers on top of the other prizes up for grabs.

As with any other time I would love to hear any and all comments and ideas from anyone. My phone is always on and I am always ready for a chat. So if there is anything lets hear it now so I can work to getting the mag to a stage where you the readers would like to see it for now and hopefully long into the future.

Nutgrass

#14 Post by Nutgrass » Wed Mar 16, 2011 8:49 pm

Spear Chucker wrote: Yes we all might see lots on the forums for free but you won't get the chance to win a bow, knives, trip to NZ and much much more good stuff just by having a crack at submitting something and really I would rather I guess submit my story or article and be in the running for a great custom knife than get a few comments of good one Spear Chucker after I post it on the forum.
Not to digress from the great job you are doing to raise awareness for the mag. But the reason I post my stories on the forums I frequent isn't looking for praise, but it's to give back to the sites that have helped me get to where I am 8)
Hence why only a select 1 or 2 sites get my story.

I did once send a story in to a magazine & the end result didn't sit well with me, so I guess I shied away from mags from that point.

But in the name of Traditional Bow hunting, I will subscribe & I will to endeavour to Get Shanks out for another hunt & see if we can't get a story together to pass in to the mag 8)

Good work guys.
RABBITS (karen) wrote:NUTGRASS >>----> Nobody knows where he came from, & nobody knows how to get rid of him.
Shooters get to 50m to shoot, but only a hunter gets inside 20m to hunt.

Nephew

#15 Post by Nephew » Wed Mar 16, 2011 10:00 pm

I too apologise for going off topic, but a turkey with trad gear? WOW, that's an achievement!! :shock: 8)

AndyD

#16 Post by AndyD » Wed Mar 16, 2011 10:07 pm

Blimey which ones the turkey? :lol:

Thanks for the dig Spearchucker - I have subscribed today.
Thanks for your efforts too Matt - it's a great mag.
Cheers
Common sense; so rare it should be considered a superpower.

wishsong

#17 Post by wishsong » Thu Mar 17, 2011 8:47 pm

Cool .. i'll be there saturday morning !
gobble gobble .....

piggy

#18 Post by piggy » Thu Mar 17, 2011 9:33 pm

MMMMMM all you lads staying in a hotel and the only comment is
gobble.... gobble.....gobble...:)

I shudder to think

Have a blast Fellas

wishsong

#19 Post by wishsong » Thu Mar 17, 2011 10:12 pm

:oops:

:shock:

:twisted:

8)

Nephew

#20 Post by Nephew » Fri Mar 18, 2011 7:41 am

:lol: :lol: I don't know, Piggy, I hadn't thought of that perspective 'till you said it. Where's your mind at,mate? :lol: :lol: