Proud of my son

General discussions. Politics, scuttlebutt, whatever: you're getting married, changing jobs, got a gripe or a compliment, dying to get out with the bow etc.....

Moderator: Moderators

Gringa Bows

Proud of my son

#1 Post by Gringa Bows » Wed Mar 02, 2011 11:48 am

i thought i'de just Shoot the breeze a bit with who evers interested :wink: my boy Ben is my only son out of 5 kids ,he's 21 yrs old nearly, 3 yrs ago his whole life revolved around computer games and junk food, he weighed around a 140kgs,he tried hard to get a job in Bundy but because of his weight he just got rejected at least once a week and he was getting depressed ,well anyway he got a job offer on Linderman Is. at club Med as a cleaner,he asked me what he should do because he'd have to live on the island and leave home for the first time,so i just said treat it as an adventure if it does'nt work out just come home,well he didnt much like the job but he stuck it out for nearly 2 yrs banked most of his wages,then met a Japanese girl Miho about 12months ago,they both chucked their jobs in,and then went to Alice Springs and worked there for 8 months he was working 2 jobs 14hrs a day 7 days most weeks Miho worked as well they started a joint bank account and put equal amounts in so they could tour around,so they got enough money in to do what they wanted,and left Alice jumped on a bus went to places like Tennant creek devils marble and other places till they got to Darwin stayed ther a couple of days,then bussed it down to Melbourne stayed there a couple of days,then went to Tasmania and did the tours around there,did all this from the time they left Alice till i picked him up in Bris.was 2 weeks i think, i brought them home for a week and we got to meet Miho for the first time,she was a great girl cooked Japanese food for us that i loved and my wife ate things she wouldn't ever try before :D Ben was slim and fit as a bull so the hard work did him no harm :D while Ben was home we shot the bows a bit even Miho had a few shots so it was good,yesterday i dropped them off in Bris. so they were close to the airport,and at 11am today he was on a plane to Great Britain stopping off in Hongkong on the way,so for the next month they'll be goin to britain france italy spain and other places i forget the names of ,they're staying in france for a week with a friend of Miho's,when they finish this tour they go to Japan,where Ben is going to stay for 3 months to see if he likes it there,if so, he's going to come home for three months hopefully get a couple of jobs build up his bank and get a 12 month work viza for Japan and go back wish i was more like him when i was his age...............

longbow steve

Re: Proud of my son

#2 Post by longbow steve » Wed Mar 02, 2011 12:05 pm

Good on him Rod, I can see why you are proud :) . Good parents make a big difference. Steve

looseplucker

#3 Post by looseplucker » Wed Mar 02, 2011 12:11 pm

Good for him and you too Rod - happy for you both.
Are you well informed or is your news limited?

Nephew

#4 Post by Nephew » Wed Mar 02, 2011 12:41 pm

You've done a good job with that boy, Rod. You, Jaquie and Ben should be very proud of yourselves and as you say, I wish I'd had a fraction of the sense that boy has at his age.
I know you rode a fairly rough track earlier in life mate, and I'm really pleased that it all seems to be panning out well for you in middle age.
Lately, if life were treating me any better, I'd be suspicious of it's motives!

Roadie

#5 Post by Roadie » Wed Mar 02, 2011 12:55 pm

Ay Rod, isn't it great when the young one's finnally get their Life together, Dosn't matter what we as parents say the siblings have to do and find their own way. And it's great when they come home for a visit and say thanks. Does make one fell proud. Cheers Roadie.

Gringa Bows

#6 Post by Gringa Bows » Wed Mar 02, 2011 1:39 pm

Thank you very much guy's,i think his mum and i did something right raising him and his sisters..... :D

TomMcDonald

#7 Post by TomMcDonald » Wed Mar 02, 2011 1:52 pm

Rod, that's an inspiring story. Thanks for sharing.

I didn't know they cooked food in Japan :lol:
Tom

Sometimes the simplest things are the most profound.

www.billygoatbowstrings.com

Gringa Bows

#8 Post by Gringa Bows » Wed Mar 02, 2011 1:54 pm

Thanks Tom,yep the food she made for us was cooked even though i would have eaten whatever she put on the table,as long as it didn't riggle.....

looseplucker

#9 Post by looseplucker » Wed Mar 02, 2011 2:24 pm

...or jump around
Are you well informed or is your news limited?

Gringa Bows

#10 Post by Gringa Bows » Wed Mar 02, 2011 2:25 pm

yes :lol:

Chase N. Nocks

#11 Post by Chase N. Nocks » Wed Mar 02, 2011 3:03 pm

Great story mate. Hell, I'm proud of him as a "got-it-together" young Aussie.

Japan is a mixing pot clashing ancient and ultra modern cultural forces ... what a great adventure.

Cheers
Troy
I am an Archer. I am not a traditional archer, bowhunter, compound shooter or target archer.....I am an Archer
"Shooting the Stickbow"

....enforced by the "whistling grey-goose wing."
"The Witchery of Archery"

Gringa Bows

#12 Post by Gringa Bows » Wed Mar 02, 2011 3:29 pm

Thanks Troy,Miho's father is very traditional,if Ben' not working he cant stay with them,but he cant work there without a visa,so hes getting an apartment for the three months he's there,if he likes it he'll come home for 3 months and hopefully get a job,then go back with a once in a lifetime 12 month working visa,then work things out from there,Miho will have a job because over there she's a licenced physiotherapist.....

Bill
Supporter
Supporter

#13 Post by Bill » Wed Mar 02, 2011 3:31 pm

:) To pass the time and tell a nice story, it is good. Well done Rod to you and yours, along with a big well done your one and only.

Gringa Bows

#14 Post by Gringa Bows » Wed Mar 02, 2011 3:35 pm

thanks Bill. :wink:

blu-dog

#15 Post by blu-dog » Wed Mar 02, 2011 4:02 pm

I saw Ben while he was home - and boy has he become a lean, mean touring machine!

Rod, he's a credit to you and Jaq mate...a polite, well spoken young fella with a good head on his shoulders.

Congrats to the both of you...and to him. Raising great kids / growing up in this day and age isn't easy; it takes patience, time, understanding and a whole heap of love! Good on you!!!
The best trophies I can hope to acquire as a husband, father, friend or hunter are MEMORIES!
They will travel with me wherever life's path leads...

longbowinfected

#16 Post by longbowinfected » Wed Mar 02, 2011 5:02 pm

Truth be told, I bet he is just as proud of his Da.

Kev
never complain....you did not have to wake up....every day is an extra bonus and costs nothing.

bigbob

#17 Post by bigbob » Wed Mar 02, 2011 5:19 pm

Wish I'd had the brains and drive your young fella is exhibiting, when I was his age. [My adolescence has lasted 40 plus years!] Great story to see a young bloke get his head together so well and get so much out of his short life already. We hosted a japanese exchange student some years ago and she was a delight.Wish them well, and as they say you must have done something right Rod.
nil illigitimo in desperandum carborundum
razorbows.com

Gringa Bows

#18 Post by Gringa Bows » Wed Mar 02, 2011 5:23 pm

Thanks Paul,he was impressed with you lads too. :wink: ...................Thanks Kev,he hugs me the same as he hugs his mother and does'nt get embarressed in front of other people so he must like me a little bit :lol:

Gringa Bows

#19 Post by Gringa Bows » Wed Mar 02, 2011 5:31 pm

Thanks Bob,.....Miho changed my way of thinking about the Japanese,i hope my boy hooks up with her but i know that it cant happen,she loves Japan as much as he loves Australia.and there's a lot of water between the two. :(

alaninoz

#20 Post by alaninoz » Wed Mar 02, 2011 6:22 pm

More power to them both. Should be more like them.
Alan

stringnstik

#21 Post by stringnstik » Wed Mar 02, 2011 7:34 pm

Thats a magic story Rod, we just never know sometimes what the trigger is that makes em suddenly mature and get responsibility. Often its just a matter of finding the right carrot other times they just have to find it on there own. A very proud moment for you and yours. A workmate of mine left everything here and went to Japan. Lived there for quite a few years. Did a lot of technical translation work. He was also heavy into Akido, met the master dude, even met Steven Segal.. Point is you just never know where the road will take you. You have only one thing to do ....walk it.
Best of luck to him and his girl.
"I am the arrow..the arrow is me...together as one...I fly to thee"
"the stick maybe crooked and the string hath no form,
then married by bowyer, transforms when first drawn"
"twang....thud"

piggy

#22 Post by piggy » Wed Mar 02, 2011 8:18 pm

Mate what a great turnaround! I wish him all the best with his future endeavor's and I have no doubt he will continue to make you proud.

Cheers Mate

Nutgrass

#23 Post by Nutgrass » Wed Mar 02, 2011 8:31 pm

From a younger blokes perspective :lol: Ben is a top bloke, bloody smart with the bow to & doesn't mind showing his old man how it gets done either :lol:

You should be proud Rod & Jaq, you guys have done well.
Hope he enjoys the trip & I look forward to catching up with him again when he does come home for the in between trip in a couple of months 8)
RABBITS (karen) wrote:NUTGRASS >>----> Nobody knows where he came from, & nobody knows how to get rid of him.
Shooters get to 50m to shoot, but only a hunter gets inside 20m to hunt.

Nephew

#24 Post by Nephew » Thu Mar 03, 2011 2:41 am

LB rod 55 wrote: Thanks Kev,he hugs me the same as he hugs his mother and does'nt get embarressed in front of other people so he must like me a little bit :lol:
I've witnessed this, and it was magic. Made me think about my own father and if maybe I could have made a better effort to understand him. Too late for regrets now, though.
The relationship Rod has with his boy is unique, fellas, parental gold... and something every parent should aim to achieve IMHO.
Lately, if life were treating me any better, I'd be suspicious of it's motives!

Benny Nganabbarru

#25 Post by Benny Nganabbarru » Thu Mar 03, 2011 7:10 am

Good man.
It's the great, big, broad land 'way up yonder,
It's the forests where silence has lease;
It's the beauty that thrills me with wonder,
It's the stillness that fills me with peace.

Gringa Bows

#26 Post by Gringa Bows » Thu Mar 03, 2011 7:58 am

Thanks guy's,he should be in Britain now,bet he notices the differents in the weather,hoping to hear from him today using Skype for the first time :?

NORTHOZ

#27 Post by NORTHOZ » Thu Mar 03, 2011 8:00 am

Good on ya Rod, :D

Gringa Bows

#28 Post by Gringa Bows » Thu Mar 03, 2011 8:06 am

Thanks Fletch :wink:

Steven J

#29 Post by Steven J » Thu Mar 03, 2011 9:21 am

Rod,

I enjoyed your story. So often when our kids carry weight they also carry burdens that are far greater. I am glad to hear that he has been able to shed both as life now is about the opportunities to take rather than to be missed.

Thanks for sharing,

Steve
http://www.stevenjawerth.weebly.com

On Christ the solid rock I stand, All other ground is sinking sand. Edward Mote, 1797-1874

Gringa Bows

#30 Post by Gringa Bows » Thu Mar 03, 2011 9:25 am

Thank you Steve