Your Favourite Modern Era Western

General discussions. Politics, scuttlebutt, whatever: you're getting married, changing jobs, got a gripe or a compliment, dying to get out with the bow etc.....

Moderator: Moderators

hardgainer

Re: Your Favourite Modern Era Western

#31 Post by hardgainer » Mon Feb 14, 2011 9:21 am

As hokie as hell...the great Billy Jack in Born Losers. Tom Laughlin and the Hat. 8)
1967 what a time.

Chase N. Nocks

#32 Post by Chase N. Nocks » Mon Feb 14, 2011 10:12 am

Thanks for the reminder Hardgrainer, falls outside the 20 year period but I was going to mention Billy Jack.

My absolute favourite movie when I was a kid. Ya just gotta love good vigillente justice.

Cheers
Troy
I am an Archer. I am not a traditional archer, bowhunter, compound shooter or target archer.....I am an Archer
"Shooting the Stickbow"

....enforced by the "whistling grey-goose wing."
"The Witchery of Archery"

dawallace45

#33 Post by dawallace45 » Tue Feb 15, 2011 8:05 am

Definitely " Unforgiven " , going back a little further " The Outlaw Josey Wales " and further back again it would be a toss up between " Hondo " and several other John Wayne westerns

David

Chase N. Nocks

#34 Post by Chase N. Nocks » Wed Feb 16, 2011 9:44 am

OK. Saw "True Grit" last night and liked it very much. I came away thinking though that I did prefer the original but will watch it again in the next couple of days just as a reminder.

The Duke was not a great actor most of us will agree. But he had a presence and a style that for us older fellas who watched his movies with our dads has left large expectations on what we expect from westerns and the lead role. Clint to my mind is the only one to challenge and gain equal footing in all these years. Now imagine a movie with those two thrown together.

Cheers
Troy
I am an Archer. I am not a traditional archer, bowhunter, compound shooter or target archer.....I am an Archer
"Shooting the Stickbow"

woodie

#35 Post by woodie » Wed Feb 16, 2011 9:19 pm

I would have to say Young guns and anything with Clint Eastwood in it and the Last of the Mohicans.

Ron woodie
may your arrows fly straight and true and your limbs return.

hardgainer

#36 Post by hardgainer » Thu Feb 17, 2011 9:12 am

Apology's ....again outside the 20y frame but I reacon 1953's ARROWHEAD has got to be a winner. What a lineup...Charlton Heston... Brian Kieth..and the mighty Jack Palance as Toriano. :twisted:
Worth a look if you have not seen it.

GrahameA

#37 Post by GrahameA » Fri Mar 04, 2011 8:49 am

Morning Perry

How about this:

Cowboys & Aliens
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sNPhVw61 ... ideo_title
Grahame.
Shoot a Selfbow, embrace Wood Arrows, discover Vintage, be a Trendsetter.

"Unfortunately, the equating of simplicity with truth doesn't often work in real life. It doesn't often work in science, either." Dr Len Fisher.

Chase N. Nocks

#38 Post by Chase N. Nocks » Fri Mar 04, 2011 9:00 am

I enjoyed The Good, The Bad and The Weird.

Asian western.
"Shooting the Stickbow"

Mick Smith

#39 Post by Mick Smith » Fri Mar 04, 2011 2:52 pm

I watched 'Open Range' on tele the other night. It starred Kevin Costiner and Robert Duvall. It's a pretty recent movie. I wasn't really expecting much from it beforehand, but I was thoroughly enjoying it by the finish. It had a great shootout at the end where all the baddies copped their just deserves. :wink:

Mick
There is no use focusing on aiming if you don't execute the shot well enough to hit what your are aiming at.

Dennis La Varenne

#40 Post by Dennis La Varenne » Sat Mar 05, 2011 10:12 pm

Evening gentlemen,

My favourite is the series 'Deadwood', but it is not the only one. I like good acting and the ability of the film(s) to tell a story well. I found this series extraordinary on both accounts. The sets were very close to the locations and buildings known to exist in Deadwood at the time, and were copied from contemporary photographs. The dialogue is a bit difficult for the modern ear to follow because it is very much in the rather stilted and formal manner of the Victorian period that you read in novels, both American and English, from that period.

There is a lot of swearing and profanity in the dialogue, but the background explanations which come with the series give a very plausible explanation for its use in the series.

Recently it was shown on ABC2 late on Monday nights as I remember, but was taken off before the series finished. I bought it after seeing those episodes on ABC2.
Dennis La Varénne

Have the courage to argue your beliefs with conviction, but the humility to accept that you may be wrong.

QVIS CVSTODIET IPSOS CVSTODES (Who polices the police?) - DECIMVS IVNIVS IVVENALIS (Juvenal) - Satire VI, lines 347–8

What is the difference between free enterprise capitalism and organised crime?

HOMO LVPVS HOMINIS - Man is his own predator.

Nephew

#41 Post by Nephew » Sun Mar 06, 2011 1:32 pm

If I heard the promo right Dennis, I think they may be about to run it on ABC1 very soon, but very late at night.
Lately, if life were treating me any better, I'd be suspicious of it's motives!

Dennis La Varenne

#42 Post by Dennis La Varenne » Wed Mar 09, 2011 12:48 am

Moreton,

ABC2 at 2130 Mondays. Lucky I have the boxed set and have watched it twice now. One of those good quality programs where you pick up more the next time around. Some dispute with HBO about whether they will continue the series or end it with a 2-hour movie. I hope not. The second series ended with a beginning which could easily be the continuation of the series. You will see what I mean if you see the the final episode of series 2.
Dennis La Varénne

Have the courage to argue your beliefs with conviction, but the humility to accept that you may be wrong.

QVIS CVSTODIET IPSOS CVSTODES (Who polices the police?) - DECIMVS IVNIVS IVVENALIS (Juvenal) - Satire VI, lines 347–8

What is the difference between free enterprise capitalism and organised crime?

HOMO LVPVS HOMINIS - Man is his own predator.

Nephew

#43 Post by Nephew » Wed Mar 09, 2011 7:59 am

I found "The West Wing" to be like that, I loved it the first time (watched all of series one in one sitting! How much good could could be done if Jed Bartlett were not a fictional character?) but the second viewing made things all the more clear for me.

GrahameA

#44 Post by GrahameA » Wed Mar 09, 2011 8:28 am

Hi Craig.
Moreton wrote:I found "The West Wing" to be like that, I loved it the first time (watched all of series one in one sitting! How much good could could be done if Jed Bartlett were not a fictional character?) but the second viewing made things all the more clear for me.
Have you seen the specials? A few of them will help you understand why the series was the way it was. eg Having Dee Dee Myers available did not hurt. Please the speed of things and the long continuous shots compress time effectively which is good for films. There is a very interesting comparison between the election of "Santos" and the election of Barack Obama. It is eerily similar. A starter http://www.nytimes.com/2008/10/30/arts/ ... 0wing.html
Grahame.
Shoot a Selfbow, embrace Wood Arrows, discover Vintage, be a Trendsetter.

"Unfortunately, the equating of simplicity with truth doesn't often work in real life. It doesn't often work in science, either." Dr Len Fisher.

Nephew

#45 Post by Nephew » Wed Mar 09, 2011 8:40 am

I know, it's almost spooky, isn't it? Even the Vinick-McCain ( one of the very few Conservative Americans I can admire) similarities! I just wish it went a bit longer so that Santos/Obama wins a second term! :wink: :)