ABA who's a member?

General discussions. Politics, scuttlebutt, whatever: you're getting married, changing jobs, got a gripe or a compliment, dying to get out with the bow etc.....

Moderator: Moderators

Roadie

Re: ABA who's a member?

#31 Post by Roadie » Thu Nov 25, 2010 2:44 pm

OK Guys your not happy with the status quo, DO something about it, its your Democratic right, if you see something that is not right, you can change it.Every one has a right to a Vote to bring about change Cheers Roadie.

Rock Steady

#32 Post by Rock Steady » Thu Nov 25, 2010 11:50 pm

Guilty as charged, ABA Member.

It is amazing how hard it is to find out the facts.

Xtfreak

#33 Post by Xtfreak » Fri Nov 26, 2010 3:16 pm

huddo0312 wrote:Thank you Mick and Steve, I stand corrected. And am better informed for your efforts. Due to information that has come to light arising from an incident at a recent ABA meeting I still won't be joining the ABA. My reasons are twofold; firstly I'm just not convinced that the ABA is really doing much for bowhunting and secondly with persomalities like the gentleman I encoutered in the organisation I can't see the ABA achieving much in the future.
Dave
Fair enough.
But you shouldnt judge every ABA member by the attitude of one member, no matter how important that member thinks he is.
That is called stereotyping and it is wrong.
Why dont you go onto the ABA forum and ask your questions there???
Here is a link.
http://bowhunters.org.au/forum/
Bill
"The problem with the world is stupidity. I'm not saying there should be a capital punishment for stupidity, but why don't we just take the safety labels off of everything and let the problem solve itself?"
-unknown

huddo0312

#34 Post by huddo0312 » Fri Nov 26, 2010 4:03 pm

Bill, my questions have all been answered by the good folk here at Ozbow. I need know nought more of the ABA. Nor do I need to have anything to do with the likes of Mr Standley...

Dave
I'm not young enough to know everything....

Rock Steady

#35 Post by Rock Steady » Fri Nov 26, 2010 4:36 pm

huddo0312 wrote:Bill, my questions have all been answered by the good folk here at Ozbow. I need know nought more of the ABA. Nor do I need to have anything to do with the likes of Mr Standley...

Dave
Its a pity, ABA needs people to step up and shake the tree a bit every now and then, otherwise it will never reach its full potential. But as a a non-member theres not much you can do.

Michael

hue

#36 Post by hue » Fri Nov 26, 2010 4:41 pm

i am a member also

Hue
I can only be who I am

huddo0312

#37 Post by huddo0312 » Fri Nov 26, 2010 5:39 pm

Michael
It's really difficult given that I'm three and a half hours from my nearest affiliated club. I'll just have to run my own race and associate myself with like minded individuals that I meet along the way...

Dave

AndyD

#38 Post by AndyD » Fri Nov 26, 2010 5:45 pm

tjensen wrote:Count me in, I'm an ABA member; I love all their ,music :P
Tony
Not so keen on the music - but I just love to hunt in a one piece velour jumpsuit..
Common sense; so rare it should be considered a superpower.

rodlonq

#39 Post by rodlonq » Fri Nov 26, 2010 7:34 pm

I joined our whole family (5 of us) in ABA so we could attend club shoots, meet people and add our weight to the numbers when ABA goes to bat for the bowhunting community. I must admit we haven't attended a shoot yet and I don't have any comments to make as we have had no dealings with ABA other than paying the yearly registration. So we haven't met any other ABA members yet, but I am sure there many genuine and nice members out there to meet when the time comes. You must have been unlucky to run in with one disagreeable individual.

Cheers..... Rod

bigbob

#40 Post by bigbob » Fri Nov 26, 2010 8:08 pm

I am simply a rank and file member of ABA and have no axe to grind with any one, 'thoughiI have had my run ins with previous administration of ABA, but some people seem to be of the opinion that ABA is doing nothing for the bowhunting fraternity.If they could only get an insight into what has transpired in the past year alone, regarding irresponsible morons sticking arrows in swans, horses and kangeroos and it is ABA getting in there and attempting to disarm the situation. I know these idiots would not be members of this forum but there are these types are out there, and when they commit these acts of bastardry, it is all of us who wear the blame. On several occasions ABA executives have met with various state Gov. officials and managed to bring the occasion under control. I repeat my previous assertion that there is a lunatic group ,well funded who will make mince meat of a motley group of non co ordinated people going blithely about with no influence what so ever. We dont have a enshrined constitutional 'right' to be able to hunt and these fanatics want it banned, end of story. Not only that but several states were seriously considering restricting the sale of bows ala guns. Again ABA represented all bow owners interests and averted the proposal at least for the time being The concepts of the game council of NSW should be implemented in all states as they [and ABA] keep records of all feral animals destroyed and are able to present cold hard statistics to the Government as to the desirability of having bow hunters reducing feral numbers.They have state forests where hunters can legitimately take feral animals, as long as they obey certain conditions. I repeat as individuals , we would get absolutely no where and will soon lose all hunting rights. Alarmist? Do nothing, sit back and see.
nil illigitimo in desperandum carborundum
razorbows.com

TazGtz

#41 Post by TazGtz » Fri Nov 26, 2010 9:21 pm

+1 bigbob! :P
You don't know? Just ask...

Stephen Georgiou

#42 Post by Stephen Georgiou » Fri Nov 26, 2010 10:24 pm

Been an ABA member for a number of years off and on.
Find the administration a bit better these days.
Cheers

Rock Steady

#43 Post by Rock Steady » Fri Nov 26, 2010 11:52 pm

huddo0312 wrote:Michael
It's really difficult given that I'm three and a half hours from my nearest affiliated club. I'll just have to run my own race and associate myself with like minded individuals that I meet along the way...

Dave
Put an add in the local paper, you may be surprised at how many come out of the woodwork (I know we were 3 years ago).

The Atherton / Mareeba area could have some nice ranges in the green hills and rain forest.

There is an Archery Club at Kurrimine, not sure of their affiliation.

Michael

GrahameA

#44 Post by GrahameA » Sat Nov 27, 2010 6:09 am

Morning Troy.
Chase N. Nocks wrote:BTW does anyone know what this new, welcome and long overdue cooperation between the organisations entails? Can we shoot at each other's ranges and events. Just paying range fees....this would be a great step forward. Many times I have wanted to go to the AAA range to work on form.
http://www.archery.org.au/lib/pdf/aaa291010.pdf Note the lack of information as to who actually put his out.
Chase N. Nocks wrote:Wouldn't it be smart to at least offer archers the option for combined memberships. With the one card you can be a member of one, two, three or even four associations. I would very much consider it. Like I said it is not uncommon for me to be a member of 3/4 anyway.
That is a radical thought.
Grahame.
Shoot a Selfbow, embrace Wood Arrows, discover Vintage, be a Trendsetter.

"Unfortunately, the equating of simplicity with truth doesn't often work in real life. It doesn't often work in science, either." Dr Len Fisher.

UPTHETOP

#45 Post by UPTHETOP » Sat Nov 27, 2010 9:06 am

Bigbob- IDIOTS, FANATICS, LUNATIC GROUPS, are you talking about the ABA or PETA?

Im a member of the ABA only because I have no choice.

Wayno
Justastik Arrow Craft, Its all about the Wood.

huddo0312

#46 Post by huddo0312 » Sat Nov 27, 2010 8:14 pm

And a big +1 to you Darren. Very well said Mate...

Dave

Nephew

#47 Post by Nephew » Sun Nov 28, 2010 3:28 pm

Having read this thread, and with what I have learned from trusted sources of information I'm inclined to think membership in this organisation is not for me. I prefer Huddos notion of running your own race and associating with like-minded individuals. :)
Lately, if life were treating me any better, I'd be suspicious of it's motives!