Trying hard to give up the smokes...open to suggestions

General discussions. Politics, scuttlebutt, whatever: you're getting married, changing jobs, got a gripe or a compliment, dying to get out with the bow etc.....

Moderator: Moderators

Chase N. Nocks

Re: Trying hard to give up the smokes...open to suggestions

#31 Post by Chase N. Nocks » Wed Oct 27, 2010 9:04 am

Craig I don't have any sage advice for giving up the fags as I've stopped and started a few times over the years and like you I was smoking in very early teens, Hoges was telling everyone to "anyhow have a Winfield".

My last one was about 6 years ago and luckily it was as simple as waking up one morning and knowing that if I had another cigerette I was going to vomit...the rejection impulse was that strong...so while I can't claim any great feat of willpower I think there was a degree of self hypnosis happening over a period of quite a few months.

I can say that only twice in that time since have I felt like a cigerette and that was while drinking. My vomit impulse is even now still quite strong which I am thankful for.

Now all that being said....A Kimber Huntsman!!!!! WOW A very fine bow indeed. I have not owned one (no comment please Perry) but have shot one, and am surprised I do not own one. Tell Sharon my inspirational story she might buy me one.. :lol: :lol: :lol:
I am an Archer. I am not a traditional archer, bowhunter, compound shooter or target archer.....I am an Archer
"Shooting the Stickbow"

....enforced by the "whistling grey-goose wing."
"The Witchery of Archery"

dmm

#32 Post by dmm » Mon Nov 01, 2010 9:08 am

slvrslngr wrote:I'm not a smoker so don't have any real world advice, but good for you to make the decision to quit. Seeing your GP and getting active seem to be good advice. Several of the people I run with are recovering smokers and they all say that running really helped them quit and these guys are marathoners now! They gave up one addiction for another, LOL! Anyway, press on and think of your kids when you get the urge to light up. Good luck mate!
+1 to this.

I worked for a guy who gave up with the help of some prescription medicine. He had tried several times before, but reported these latest drugs worked. Apparently it made the cigarette taste different and unpleasant, although to know this, must mean he tried, which shows less than 100% commitment to the process.

Only thing I'd add is he was quite a pain in the ass during this period, so if your doing this, I'd say it would be a good plan to tell people close to you, so they can cut you a little slack.
David
--
Sky TDX 17 riser with Kaya Carbon Tomcat limbs(25H-36#) short Beiter button and rest.

Nephew

#33 Post by Nephew » Fri Nov 05, 2010 6:43 pm

Well, I tried my level best to go "Cold Turkey" and it just doesn't work for me, so I have made Dr.s appt for tomorrow morning to discuss my options. To be honest, I feel more for those that have had to put up with me lately than myself! After all, it was my choice to begin smoking (albeit at 12 yo), but it's not their choice to have to put up with me when I'm trying to stop! Poor Buggers. :oops:
Thanks for all the support and advice I have received, I genuinely appreciate it. :D
Lately, if life were treating me any better, I'd be suspicious of it's motives!

Stickbow Hunter
Supporter
Supporter

#34 Post by Stickbow Hunter » Fri Nov 05, 2010 7:16 pm

Sort it out mate and givem the flick for good!!! I'm sure the family understand how hard it is for you.

Jeff

clinglish

#35 Post by clinglish » Mon Nov 15, 2010 11:36 pm

Good to hear your giving up the smokes, I managed to quit after smoking for 16 years. Then everytime the wife was pregnant I took it up again. Havent smoked for 6yrs now and wont be starting again (had the chop to fix the pregnancy thing). I did it cold turkey , but the first thing I would do is go see your GP there are heaps of ways to do it now with great rates of sucess. Good luck and remember to put the money aside that you normaly would have spent . Family holiday is about a years worth of smokes.
Bowhunting (Hunting for Bows)
Known Carrier of "Fox Bow Fever"

Nephew

#36 Post by Nephew » Tue Nov 16, 2010 8:51 pm

:!: UPDATE :!: , I seem to be going well on the Nicorette gum. I discussed Champix with the G.P. and she wanted to try gum first, as she is concerned about personality changes that can occur with Champix. Apparently if one is not a happy chap to start with, one will be even less so when taking this particular medication. You can end up with a bit of a temper, and a very short fuse to set it off.
That's no good for me! I can mouth off pretty good but I can't back it up and will end up severely beaten by Sharon, annoyed and insulted that I even tried it on! :wink:
Will update when I make the 7 day mark.

Stickbow Hunter
Supporter
Supporter

#37 Post by Stickbow Hunter » Tue Nov 16, 2010 9:40 pm

Good news mate; I know your gunna hate this but I'll do a Tony; stick to it!!! :wink: :D

Jeff

Chase N. Nocks

#38 Post by Chase N. Nocks » Tue Nov 16, 2010 9:52 pm

Good on you bloke I was wondering how you were going. But did not wish to get in your face about it. Keep going mate. Believe I know when your giving up not even a huntsman seems like it will do the trick.
I am an Archer. I am not a traditional archer, bowhunter, compound shooter or target archer.....I am an Archer
"Shooting the Stickbow"

rodlonq

#39 Post by rodlonq » Wed Nov 17, 2010 3:09 pm

Gidday Moreton,

If it is any help to you I have decided to support by going off smokes myself. I am up to day 9 today and feeling the strain but it will be worth it. I know what you mean about it making one cranky, not easy when you have a low tolerance to start with. At least my family are behind me, as I am sure yours is behind you. Keep up the good work mate enjoy the $ you save (I'm keeping mine to buy bow building equipment - good incentive hey).

Cheers..... Rod

Nephew

#40 Post by Nephew » Wed Nov 17, 2010 4:26 pm

Good on ya, Rod! Day 9! You're dong better then me, ol' mate. :oops: Anyone else wanna join in??

Chase N. Nocks

#41 Post by Chase N. Nocks » Wed Nov 17, 2010 5:03 pm

Yes, go for it Rod. You can never have enough archery equipment!

Even though the urban archery legend is incorrect (that this is a signal given by English Archers before battle with the French to show that their two fingers are intact and that they were ready to unleash hell) it's a nice archery story nonetheless.

So on that note the imagery and symbology still applies.

V is for Victory!
Attachments
GO FOR IT GUYS!!!!!
GO FOR IT GUYS!!!!!
churchill.jpg (16.99 KiB) Viewed 2994 times
"Shooting the Stickbow"

Chase N. Nocks

#42 Post by Chase N. Nocks » Wed Nov 17, 2010 5:05 pm

The Irony of course that I just realized is this is a world renowned puffing billy. :roll:
"Shooting the Stickbow"

Nephew

#43 Post by Nephew » Wed Nov 17, 2010 5:28 pm

Poor old Winston! Apparently it took his aides quite a while to convince him that amongst the working folk , that sign does not mean "Victory"! :D

hue

#44 Post by hue » Wed Nov 17, 2010 7:19 pm

good onya Moreton
if you have "personality issues" with champix, what about Zyban. less intrusive in my opinion. keep up the good fight mate!

Hue
I can only be who I am

Nephew

#45 Post by Nephew » Fri Nov 19, 2010 2:38 pm

Whew! 5days! Still climbing walls, but 5 days is the best I've done so far! Lets head for 10! :D

Stickbow Hunter
Supporter
Supporter

#46 Post by Stickbow Hunter » Fri Nov 19, 2010 3:35 pm

Great news mate keep it going!!! :D

Jeff

Steven J

#47 Post by Steven J » Fri Nov 19, 2010 4:07 pm

Keep going Craig!!!!

5 days is almost a week.

Keep going Rod!!!!

11 days is nearly 2 weeks.

Well done Lads
http://www.stevenjawerth.weebly.com

On Christ the solid rock I stand, All other ground is sinking sand. Edward Mote, 1797-1874

Gringa Bows

#48 Post by Gringa Bows » Fri Nov 19, 2010 5:09 pm

Good stuff guys,i know exactly how you feel,went through it five years ago,if i didn't stop when i did, i doubt if i'de be able to do the things i can do now. :wink:

rickw

#49 Post by rickw » Fri Nov 19, 2010 9:26 pm

Mort,why pay a bunch of A!!H!!se good money to make you sick.Well It worked for me.
Stick at it mate,Rick

Nephew

#50 Post by Nephew » Fri Nov 19, 2010 11:00 pm

That's one of the things I tell myself every day, Rick. Thanks mate. :)

rodlonq

#51 Post by rodlonq » Sun Nov 21, 2010 6:50 am

Craig,

That'll be 7 days today. Sharon better be be preparing to part with that deposit for the Huntsman.

When I am struggling, I fantasise about the gear I'm going to buy with the $100+/week I am saving. A dust extractor system for the workshop is first, no good saving my lungs from one evil and replacing it with another.

Tell us a bit a bout the design of your new Huntsman mate, what timbers, overlays etc? You'll need to have all this info together in 2 weeks so you may as well write it sooner than later :D .

Cheers..... Rod

Nephew

#52 Post by Nephew » Sun Nov 21, 2010 8:21 am

Yeah...it's funny the games life can play with ya sometimes...seems the closer I get to my goal, the more future expenses I become aware of...like the laptop my daughter is going to need for her first year in high school next year, or the clothes she's going to need now she's not so much Dads little girl as Dads quite tall adolescent... and rapidly transforming into adult... daughter, y'know? I had to re-assess the situation and reorder my priorities more realistically. Which, in all honesty, is probably as it should be. After all, giving up cigarettes is more parental responsibility, than achievement I should expect reward for, yeah?
A Kimber Huntsman is a work of art, a truly beautiful piece of archery equipment and I would certainly love one, but for now I can't really justify one...not really...and I have a good T.D. recurve so... y'know. :roll: :|
It was a great incentive device to get me started, but I can't reward myself for something I should have done before Jasmine was born...but failed to for the next nearly 13 years! Maybe once I finish the T.A.F.E. course I've been wanting to do, and get work out of it, I could revisit the idea... but I'm beginning to think a better, more realistic reward would be to set myself the task of learning to make my own bow! A couple of different blokes who make them have offered to show me... Hmmm... Now...there's a thought!... :)

On the update side of things..well today is the first day I haven't really been tortured by it! I reached for my smokes when I woke up as I always do, but once, about a half second later, I remembered there is no smokes, and there wont be anymore, I was fine! Not saying I'm out of the woods, not by a long shot, but it is the easiest morning I've had so far... :D

terryzac

#53 Post by terryzac » Sun Nov 21, 2010 10:15 am

on ya craig. good to see your so level headed

terry

Stickbow Hunter
Supporter
Supporter

#54 Post by Stickbow Hunter » Sun Nov 21, 2010 12:26 pm

Good to hear Carig and stick with it. Making your own bow sounds like a good idea and then you would have to go hunting and shoot something with a bow you made yourself, right? :D

Jeff

AndyD

#55 Post by AndyD » Sun Nov 21, 2010 12:29 pm

Good on you Moreton,

Broke my own rule and went for a beer with a mate who smokes.... :oops:

As a result I'm on day 2 again now. Still 23 days prior to that with no filthty habit. :D

Bak on the wagon again - Yee ha!
Common sense; so rare it should be considered a superpower.

Nephew

#56 Post by Nephew » Sun Nov 21, 2010 1:57 pm

Stickbow Hunter wrote:Good to hear Carig and stick with it. Making your own bow sounds like a good idea and then you would have to go hunting and shoot something with a bow you made yourself, right? :D

Jeff
YEP, best excuse to get out I ever heard!! :D Can you guess who one of the "couple of different blokes who make 'em and offered to show me how" is, Jeff ??? :wink: :D
That's the way Andy, straight back on, mate! :D I compare giving up smokes to trying to start an old motor mower, sometimes you may have to pull the starter quite a few times before she'll spark, y'know? :wink:
Thanks Terry, it's funny what being a parent can do for you, hey? :wink:

Nephew

#57 Post by Nephew » Wed Nov 24, 2010 11:08 am

10 Days! I'm not certain, but I think the cravings are beginning to diminish. I busted once, two days ago...but it didn't have the same satisfying flavour, in fact it was a lot rougher and it made me a bit giddy so I didn't actually finish it but stubbed it out halfway through. Gotta be a good sign, that, I reckon. :)

Stickbow Hunter
Supporter
Supporter

#58 Post by Stickbow Hunter » Wed Nov 24, 2010 12:33 pm

Keep going now mate, keep going!!! :D

Jeff

Nephew

#59 Post by Nephew » Wed Nov 24, 2010 5:50 pm

Thanks Jeff! :D
How'r you other two ( Andy & Rod) going?

rodlonq

#60 Post by rodlonq » Thu Nov 25, 2010 5:36 am

Gidday Craig,

Still going strong mate. I visited a timber merchant the other day and the two blokes I was talking to rolled up a smoke like ya do. Well I was pattin' my pocket, and no smokes, so I convinced myself the second hand smoke was gunna make me sick, and I got over it pretty quick. Haven't tested the theory with a few beers though. Had a rum and coke last night and it tastes totally different now (probably cos it was only half strenght :lol: ). Keep up the good work mate, you'll make it.