Bloody Lizard

General discussions. Politics, scuttlebutt, whatever: you're getting married, changing jobs, got a gripe or a compliment, dying to get out with the bow etc.....

Moderator: Moderators

dawallace45

Bloody Lizard

#1 Post by dawallace45 » Thu Oct 14, 2010 9:09 am

Okay guys I've got a problem , there is a critter in the ceiling above the bed that I suspect is a over amorous Gecko , every 10 minutes it lets out a very loud CHIP , CHIP , CHIP , CHIP , CHIP ! , that is every 10 minutes all bloody night , been happening for the last two nights , now I've lived with lizards and gecko's all my life and this is the first time I've come across one so consistent and down right bloody annoying ,

Now you couple this with all the frogs about since the recent rain and the noise they make and I'm getting about 2 hours sleep a night , not a happy camper , been trying ear plugs but they aren't working well

Any one know how long this is likely to go on , spent half the night trying to pinpoint the bloody thing and have been up in the ceiling this morning but impossible to find under all the batts

David

Nutgrass

Re: Bloody Lizard

#2 Post by Nutgrass » Thu Oct 14, 2010 10:26 am

Get your house sprayed for Cocky's & spiders, that usually rolls a few of them :wink: Not sure what we got done last time, but the spiders got bigger & the Gecko's kept dying for weeks after :roll:
RABBITS (karen) wrote:NUTGRASS >>----> Nobody knows where he came from, & nobody knows how to get rid of him.
Shooters get to 50m to shoot, but only a hunter gets inside 20m to hunt.

dawallace45

#3 Post by dawallace45 » Thu Oct 14, 2010 10:47 am

Gidget

Had considered that but I tend to be more sensitive to the spray than the bloody Gecko's , don't really want to move out for a few weeks waiting for the poison to dissipate , don't really have a lot of Geckos here , only ever seen or heard the one and we don't have a problem in the house with cocky's or spiders

When we lived up at Clermont they were every where , wasn't unusual to see 50 or 60 a night and we rarely heard a peep out of them

Maybe this bugger calls all night because he is alone

David

Nephew

#4 Post by Nephew » Thu Oct 14, 2010 10:53 am

Maybe record it, then play it back, but louder, every time he chirps? Might shut him up if he thinks there's a bigger male around?
Lately, if life were treating me any better, I'd be suspicious of it's motives!

dawallace45

#5 Post by dawallace45 » Thu Oct 14, 2010 11:36 am

What , you reckon me banging on the ceiling and calling out " Shut up you bloody **** eating lizard " hasn't let him know that already ?

LOL

David

looseplucker

#6 Post by looseplucker » Thu Oct 14, 2010 12:03 pm

Get the poor bloke a girlfriend.
Are you well informed or is your news limited?

dawallace45

#7 Post by dawallace45 » Thu Oct 14, 2010 12:21 pm

Great , now I've got to turn Pimp for a Gecko ,

David

roscoe

#8 Post by roscoe » Thu Oct 14, 2010 1:49 pm

Put a very bright light (torch) on him at night and grab him from the side. I catch and relocate a few geckos my self..Roscoe

dawallace45

#9 Post by dawallace45 » Thu Oct 14, 2010 5:40 pm

Roscoe

If I could spot him I'd do that but he lives in the ceiling and the noise seems to come clearly down the downlight fittings

David

hue

#10 Post by hue » Thu Oct 14, 2010 6:13 pm

i could lend you a snake if you lived in melbourne mate :wink:

Hue
I can only be who I am

dawallace45

#11 Post by dawallace45 » Thu Oct 14, 2010 6:43 pm

Hue

Thanks but I think I'd rather put up with some thing that keeps me awake rather than some thing that gives me night mares

David

g_r

#12 Post by g_r » Thu Oct 14, 2010 7:07 pm

Not the cheapest and healthiest solution but a bottle of single malt every evening might help(thats for you, not for the gecko) :lol:

Dont know about geckos, but could some mouse traps baited with whatever Geckos like help?
watch youre feet, you may never know where they might take you....

Always scout like you are scouting scouts!

Nutgrass

#13 Post by Nutgrass » Thu Oct 14, 2010 7:17 pm

Ok, got a couple of tips grom the mighty google search engine :wink:
Mothballs. They are believe to repel geckos. But this is a last resort, as mothballs smell a lot worse than geckos. Place a mothball on a piece of tape near door entry or window ledges. Mothballs disintegrate in water, so placing them outside does no good.
try glue traps. The flat type, with just the slightest raised edge. The gecko will eventually run across it and be caught. If you catch it in time, you can pour veg oil on the trap and release him. (It's pretty gross though.)
RABBITS (karen) wrote:NUTGRASS >>----> Nobody knows where he came from, & nobody knows how to get rid of him.
Shooters get to 50m to shoot, but only a hunter gets inside 20m to hunt.

hue

#14 Post by hue » Thu Oct 14, 2010 7:23 pm

i'd like to see anyone put a fly in a mouse trap :D
mothballs are the way to go mate. they may smell a bit, but they'll work. they also work against wasps and their nest.
just put the balls beside the nest and it will kill and drive away the wasps. cheap and very effective - and safe for you!

Hue
I can only be who I am

dawallace45

#15 Post by dawallace45 » Thu Oct 14, 2010 8:08 pm

Yep , good one , the mothballs sound like the go , will try and get some tomorrow

Thanks guys

David

looseplucker

#16 Post by looseplucker » Fri Oct 15, 2010 2:30 pm

Catch the moth yourself and whip off his essentials - might be cheaper.
Are you well informed or is your news limited?

bigbob

#17 Post by bigbob » Fri Oct 15, 2010 2:45 pm

We tried mothballs when I was still living in N.Q. to try and get rid of some possums wearing work boots in our ceiling. I lifted a sheet of iron and chucked them under the tin roof and in the middle of summer it would make your eyes water just to walk into the bedroom. Got rid of the possums though,--- we moved house!
nil illigitimo in desperandum carborundum
razorbows.com

dawallace45

#18 Post by dawallace45 » Sat Oct 16, 2010 6:59 am

Lizard has been quiet for the last two nights , buggers probably worn out from all the calling and needs a good rest , will go looking for some mothballs today just in case ,

Some 16 or 17 years ago when we were moving house a mate come around to help and bought his 4 and a half year old son , son of course was into every thing and spotted some mothballs in a draw , he asked me " what are those and can I eat them " I said " No you can't eat them , they will make you very sick , they are Mothballs " , he looked at me quietly for about a minute and then said " Just how big are these moths "

David