New Trad convert.

General discussions. Politics, scuttlebutt, whatever: you're getting married, changing jobs, got a gripe or a compliment, dying to get out with the bow etc.....

Moderator: Moderators

kimall

New Trad convert.

#1 Post by kimall » Tue Aug 21, 2007 7:17 pm

It seems that the archery bug has been passed on to my daughter so we have tried differant bows and the results where mixed to say the least.She had a little brave compound but seemed to have eye dom. issues and never really seemed to be enjoying herself when she shot it.After meeting Glenn a few weeks ago it was decided that she needed a long bow like dad so plans where made and I got the materials sorted out.We glued it up this w/end passed and it came out great.Glenn had only just got the string grooves cut to put a string on it and it was in her hands shooting arrows.I had made a decision that other than saftey issues I would say nothing at first about form and just let her shoot a few and have some fun.She was having trouble staying in her skin and was jumping up and down after ever shot.It brought a smile to the bowyers face and I was wrapped.I think her style is some of the best I have seen and I am not getting her to change a thing.Now she waits till I get home and it is archery time until dark and it is very hard to get her to stop(not sure where that comes from).
The little bow is not finished can be seen in the pics it still has the tape on the limbs we put the marks on making it and the limb tips have not been shaped yet but I have started on the handle and under strict instructions have the finger grooves almost finshed and it all sanded smooth.The accesory order list gets longer every day and at the moment stands at string silencers,Wooden arrows with barrel taper and footed with spliced feathers(cause I like black and red together Dad).Also a basket type quiver for the new arrows and I will need a new knife thats more trad.Where do they learn this stuff she is only nine?
I will post some pics of the bow when finished and a big thankyou to Glenn for making this girl so happy.
Cheers KIMImage

Poppy

#2 Post by Poppy » Tue Aug 21, 2007 7:28 pm

She looks a natural Kim, bet it wont be long before she out shoots you. :lol:
Its good to see youngins getting so much fun from a sport that the old folks enjoy.
Reminds me when my young fella started he's now 24, and still shooting 8) .
Thanks for sharing
Paul

Hood

#3 Post by Hood » Tue Aug 21, 2007 7:35 pm

Great going, good to see the younger ones showing such a passion for the sport.
Bow Hunting is my Passion.

My wife says it's my Obsession.

Either way I'm happy.

bsrecurve

#4 Post by bsrecurve » Tue Aug 21, 2007 7:37 pm

kim that is just awsome!
sounds like she has the bug well and truly, and her form really is outstanding for a beginner. it's cool looking little bow too, and i'll be keen to see more pics when it's finished.

with summer round the corner, you might be able to take her out at night spotlighting toads - then she might get the hunting bug too! :D

Coach

#5 Post by Coach » Tue Aug 21, 2007 7:48 pm

Ahh , she sure does look like a natural :D Good on her :lol:

robbbo

#6 Post by robbbo » Tue Aug 21, 2007 8:18 pm

Great to see another young one to promote our passion.My son now 13 has been shooting for about 12months now and the adventure of spining(spelling)cresting and fletching has now become the every night thing to do.The next adventure (episode is to put our own bows together from start to finish)What better time is there to be had?

Robbo:)
Life is not measured by the breaths we take,
But by the moments that take our breath away.

greybeard
Supporter
Supporter

#7 Post by greybeard » Tue Aug 21, 2007 10:51 pm

EXCELLENT!!!!!!!
"And you must not stick for a groat or twelvepence more than another man would give, if it be a good bow.
For a good bow twice paid for, is better than an ill bow once broken.
[Ascham]

“If a cluttered desk is a sign of a cluttered mind, of what, then, is an empty desk a sign?” [Einstein]

I am old enough to make my own decisions....Just not young enough to remember what I decided!....

Dennis La Varenne

#8 Post by Dennis La Varenne » Tue Aug 21, 2007 10:54 pm

Kimall,

That's wonderful to see. I think your little girl has sorted out her eye dominance problem by the look of her eye right over the arrow, and she is not squinting her left eye either. What a follow through . . .wow!

That little bow sure has a good bends in the limbs. I bet it pushes them out. Those little bows perform out of all proportion to the adult sized bows when they are well-made to the kid's draw length.

Dennis La Varenne
Dennis La Varénne

Have the courage to argue your beliefs with conviction, but the humility to accept that you may be wrong.

QVIS CVSTODIET IPSOS CVSTODES (Who polices the police?) - DECIMVS IVNIVS IVVENALIS (Juvenal) - Satire VI, lines 347–8

What is the difference between free enterprise capitalism and organised crime?

HOMO LVPVS HOMINIS - Man is his own predator.

Nephew

#9 Post by Nephew » Fri Sep 14, 2007 12:12 pm

This is my dream! I am very much hoping that archery can become something that my daughter and I share as our "thing" we do together. She has a great bond with her mother and who would complain about that? But I hope we can have this as just "ours", y'know? I also think that by encouraging such a healthy hobby now(she is nine) it may give her something of a base for good friends and healthy living as she enters her teens. Where we live you see too many good kids have problems due to having way too much empty time on their hands, and no hobbies or interests.
So, hats off to you, Kimall!!. Your girl looks a natural and I hope you have many years of enjoyment watching her develop as a great archer. Even if not, you still get to spend lots of time with her, and you can't place a price in the value of that! :D

kimall

Thanks

#10 Post by kimall » Fri Sep 14, 2007 5:39 pm

Thanks for all the comments guys it is great to see her shooting AND enjoying it also.Those jazz arrows have been replaced with some footed,tapered woods now so I will take some better pics of her shooting soon.
Cheers KIM

Stickbow Hunter
Supporter
Supporter

#11 Post by Stickbow Hunter » Fri Sep 14, 2007 7:56 pm

Great to see Kim. I look forward to seeing the next lot of photos.

Jeff

Scuzza

#12 Post by Scuzza » Wed Oct 03, 2007 8:23 pm

As the common feedback is, it surely is great to see the kids enjoying the sport i enjoy so much
My father started me shooting when i was 8, admittedly i did shoot a compound for some years, but about 4 years ago i picked up a traditional bow and have never looked back :wink:

Great to see

Scuzz

Greywolf

#13 Post by Greywolf » Thu Oct 04, 2007 9:53 am

I sit on the side and never post. but you have prompted me to comment,
I started my daughter shooting when she was 10 or 12 by the time she
turned 15 she was my favorite hunting partner, then along came boys and
work and no shooting for a few years but now at 23 she likes nothing better
then to have a day off work and come chuck a few arrows with dad.
P.S. She started with a recurve then went to compound then to longbow
and now she is happy to shoot any thing she can get her hands on.
Growing Old Disgracefully

kimall

Thanks

#14 Post by kimall » Thu Oct 04, 2007 5:08 pm

Thanks guys for all the comments.The wooden arrows I made turned out a bit stiff so no pics of them being shot yet and the quiver is almost finished.I love the idea of amking these little bows and have one to glue up this weekend.There is heaps of interest in the kids bows scene and is an area not really covered well in Auz.
Cheers KIM