Making arrows in Bhutan

General discussions. Politics, scuttlebutt, whatever: you're getting married, changing jobs, got a gripe or a compliment, dying to get out with the bow etc.....

Moderator: Moderators

greybeard
Supporter
Supporter

Making arrows in Bhutan

#1 Post by greybeard » Sat Jan 21, 2023 11:22 am

I wonder how durable these vanes are.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JoyYbqNLCSg

”Traditionally, feathers of monal pheasants are used in arrows as fletchings. But due to conservation reasons, cello tape is used as a better alternative.”

One would think they could import processed feathers.

https://artsandculture.google.com/story ... JbJA?hl=en

”Traditional archery field spans about 145 meters between the two targets. The targets are fixed on the ground at each end of the archery range facing each other. Archer shoots an arrow at a distance of 145 meters and the archers dance in jubilation if they hit the target.”

I think I would dance if I could hit a target at 145 meters.

Daryl.
"And you must not stick for a groat or twelvepence more than another man would give, if it be a good bow.
For a good bow twice paid for, is better than an ill bow once broken.
[Ascham]

“If a cluttered desk is a sign of a cluttered mind, of what, then, is an empty desk a sign?” [Einstein]

I am old enough to make my own decisions....Just not young enough to remember what I decided!....

Stickbow Hunter
Supporter
Supporter

Re: Making arrows in Bhutan

#2 Post by Stickbow Hunter » Mon Jan 23, 2023 7:16 pm

Interesting to see.

With those light points and then the cello tape and other tape adding weight at the rear of the arrow you wouldn't think they would have much FOC. The cello tape wouldn't have the flex of feathers either. Not sure how long the cello tape would last.

Perhaps the cost of importing feathers would be too high for them???

Jeff