Feedback on tomahawk longbows?

General discussions. Politics, scuttlebutt, whatever: you're getting married, changing jobs, got a gripe or a compliment, dying to get out with the bow etc.....

Moderator: Moderators

papa scarface

Feedback on tomahawk longbows?

#1 Post by papa scarface » Tue Jul 10, 2018 1:17 pm

After a long rehab for a lower back injury I have the green light to go up in bow poundage and look to start hunting again, and have taken a fair liking to the looks of the tomahawk longbows made by 3 rivers archery, mainly the 2 piece.
I have read all the reviews on their website, all seem very positive.
Just looking to see if anyone here has any further knowledge on them, pros or cons? Before I go ahead and purchase this bow.

Apart from 3R there’s not a great deal of info on the bows online.

Stickbow Hunter
Supporter
Supporter

Re: Feedback on tomahawk longbows?

#2 Post by Stickbow Hunter » Tue Jul 10, 2018 9:32 pm

G'day Papa,

Good to hear you are recovering well from your injury and will be out bush taking a bow for a walk again soon. I can't help you with how the Tomahawk bows perform but 3Rivers will no doubt have a lot of positive reviews about them because the owner makes them, or at least used to if he doesn't now. I hope you can find out more independent info on them. Perhaps check out some of the USA Traditional Bowhunting forums.

One last comment, they may be nice shooting bows but they are a semi-recurve rather than a longbow IMO.

Jeff

hardgainer

#3 Post by hardgainer » Thu Jul 12, 2018 9:38 pm

Owned a tomahawk via 3 rivers for several years when bill forman was the maker. Not sure who the current maker is but it was one heck of a shooter smooth and fast. But as previous comment got me in a argument at a shoot because of the reflex / reflex hassle.
But if they have stuck to previous build quality a great bow.

matt61

#4 Post by matt61 » Fri Jul 13, 2018 7:58 pm

I looked at them a few years ago and watched the clip on the 3Rivers website of the Tomahawk being put together
and when the guy putting it together got out the rubber mallet and started belting it to get it to go together
, I lost all interest. I had images of me on hunting trip and its over 40c in the shade and I can't
put my bow together because the joining system has grown in the heat. :roll:
Matt

papa scarface

#5 Post by papa scarface » Tue Jul 17, 2018 9:17 am

Cheers Jeff, it’s great to be able to start up again with the sport.
I have seen the mallet video and thought it was pretty odd, oddly no one has mentioned having any issues with it but something ill have to research into more. It did seem like an old video so perhaps the system has been changed if there are any issues?

Cheers for the comments guys, lots to think about

TomMcDonald

#6 Post by TomMcDonald » Fri Jul 20, 2018 10:13 pm

Hi mate. I can't comment on the Tomahawk but have just ordered myself a Bodnik Slick Stick from Archery Bug. You can get them cheaper from 3 Rivers or Kustom King.
They're German made, by all accounts are pretty great bows and have a 30 year warranty.
Tom

Sometimes the simplest things are the most profound.

www.billygoatbowstrings.com

TomMcDonald

#7 Post by TomMcDonald » Sun Jul 22, 2018 9:05 am

Close enough to the 58" Tomahawk though it's not a two piece takedown.
Tom

Sometimes the simplest things are the most profound.

www.billygoatbowstrings.com