Yarn puff silencers

General discussions. Politics, scuttlebutt, whatever: you're getting married, changing jobs, got a gripe or a compliment, dying to get out with the bow etc.....

Moderator: Moderators

daniel boon

Yarn puff silencers

#1 Post by daniel boon » Sun Sep 30, 2012 10:13 pm

Changed over to wool yarn silencers, (from cats whiskers) mainly to keep the weight down, and was happy with the results. Lately they seemed to be getting smaller, and the bow a bit louder. Well I pulled one out and it was 9gr, from 14gr.
Tried some different kinds of wool, and with all of it you can pull bits off. So they will get smaller.
Next I tried some acrilic yarn, and it seems to hold together a lot better, and just as quiet.
What do you use ??wool- acrilic?

Bill
Supporter
Supporter

Re: Yarn puff silencers

#2 Post by Bill » Mon Oct 01, 2012 6:17 pm

:smile: I like using Butchers twine, four inches long by five strands, held on by a serving knot, they fluff up after a few twangs and can be easily camouflaged with a bit of green and black spray paint. On the plus side they also act as wind detectors and the rain doesn't affect them............ 8)

Stickbow Hunter
Supporter
Supporter

#3 Post by Stickbow Hunter » Mon Oct 01, 2012 7:12 pm

I shoot longbows and have never found the need for silencers.

Jeff

Bill
Supporter
Supporter

#4 Post by Bill » Mon Oct 01, 2012 7:35 pm

:biggrin: Yes your correct Jeff, I forgot to mentioned the silencers were built for the recurve, it would sing a loverly loud note, so had to put a stop to that. :surprised: But like you said non of the longbows need any type of censor when correctly matched and tuned...........

Trad Bound

#5 Post by Trad Bound » Mon Oct 01, 2012 10:00 pm

Try these found this on Youtube pretty neat
Bow String Silencers Wool http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sQZnigZpHW4

daniel boon

#6 Post by daniel boon » Mon Oct 01, 2012 11:05 pm

Trad Bound, that's a neat way of installing them. I've been putting mine through the string. The only problem I've had, is that the wool sheds fibers, and thus gets smaller and lighter over time, and weakens the arrow.

Bill
Supporter
Supporter

#7 Post by Bill » Tue Oct 02, 2012 4:57 pm

:smile: A good youtube there Trad Bound, a job easily done. Still prefer the twine; wet weather doesn't effect them at all on the recurve..........

daniel boon

#8 Post by daniel boon » Wed Oct 03, 2012 11:40 pm

Bill, will try some butchers twine.
Had this post on one of the US forums for 2 days,and it just vanished. Done a search on it, and no record anywhere. Why??? And when I asked about it, that post vanished within about 5 min.
Thanks

Axefanatic

#9 Post by Axefanatic » Fri Oct 05, 2012 2:09 pm

Daniel, maybe they had issues with the diy aspect?
I know a lot of the us sites get major funds from their advertisers, maybe one off them has issues?

On another note, I'm trialling braided nylon draw cord on my recurve. Puffs up well, can't give you any lifespans yet as I'm STILL laid up with back issues.

I wonder how the "sleeve" on Paracord would go?

I might have to give that a crack as well.
Give a man fire, he'll be warm for a few hours. Set a man on fire, he'll be warm for the rest of his life!

Stickbow Hunter
Supporter
Supporter

#10 Post by Stickbow Hunter » Fri Oct 05, 2012 2:24 pm

daniel boon wrote:Had this post on one of the US forums for 2 days,and it just vanished. Done a search on it, and no record anywhere. Why??? And when I asked about it, that post vanished within about 5 min.
Yeah I saw your thread Daniel and who knows why it was deleted - perhaps because you weren't an American. :roll: 8) I think a lot of people on that forum are afraid to even give an opinion in case it upsets the Admin and their account gets deleted. :x I know from experience a lot of folks on there don't like it if you have differing opinions. They don't like a bit of truth getting in the way of what they say is right at times. :confused: :x Of course there are a lot of nice folks on their as well. :biggrin:

Jeff

wishsong

#11 Post by wishsong » Fri Oct 05, 2012 2:34 pm

who knows why stuff gets deleted on those sites ...
I'd suggest that it have directly interfered with there "sponsors" products

Axefanatic

#12 Post by Axefanatic » Fri Oct 05, 2012 4:09 pm

Just watched that YT vid, reminds me of primary school making pom poms.
Seems like a lot of work for our purpose. I just poke 50mm lengths of straight cordage through the unbraced string, when braced they are held tight and a few shots sees them puff right up no worries.
Give a man fire, he'll be warm for a few hours. Set a man on fire, he'll be warm for the rest of his life!

daniel boon

#13 Post by daniel boon » Fri Oct 05, 2012 11:44 pm

Apparently the owner of the site, sells ---- pupies, etc so must have got up his nose. That apart 99% of people internationally, that I have had anything to do with have been excellent. Some have gone way above being helpfull, just last week was invited to go hunting in Michigan (grayling) even offered to stay at his place. I have pics of Black Bears on his porch raiding his bird feeders, and he does a bit of part time guiding for Elk.
I will try all the suggestions regarding the silencers, well most of them anyway.
Thanks and Cheers Dan

Stickbow Hunter
Supporter
Supporter

#14 Post by Stickbow Hunter » Sat Oct 06, 2012 9:17 am

daniel boon wrote:Apparently the owner of the site, sells ---- pupies, etc so must have got up his nose.
That is no reason to delete your thread but it sure doesn't surprise me with that site. :roll:

Jeff

RobHunter

#15 Post by RobHunter » Sun Oct 07, 2012 8:23 pm

Pretty sure that's a Pom Pom me made.

Mmmm I've seen a couple of Footie beanies around the house...

lol Rob