SQAS Flight.

General discussions. Politics, scuttlebutt, whatever: you're getting married, changing jobs, got a gripe or a compliment, dying to get out with the bow etc.....

Moderator: Moderators

GrahameA

SQAS Flight.

#1 Post by GrahameA » Mon Aug 27, 2012 7:21 am

Morning All.

The weekened once again featured the SQAS Flight Championships. I have reported on the event in the past and it resulted in some interesting conversations. So for those who are interested, some pictures of the event.

SQAS Flight https://sites.google.com/site/sthqldarc ... qas-flight

The weekend also featured the State Men's Softball Titles.
Grahame.
Shoot a Selfbow, embrace Wood Arrows, discover Vintage, be a Trendsetter.

"Unfortunately, the equating of simplicity with truth doesn't often work in real life. It doesn't often work in science, either." Dr Len Fisher.

Bent Stick

Re: SQAS Flight.

#2 Post by Bent Stick » Mon Aug 27, 2012 10:08 am

Fair suck o'the sav, a theodolite? Roady save me; I need several wee drams
If your not having fun, your doing it for all the wrong reasons

Stickbow Hunter
Supporter
Supporter

#3 Post by Stickbow Hunter » Mon Aug 27, 2012 11:18 am

Good to see a Trad bow in the mix there. :biggrin:

Jeff

GrahameA

#4 Post by GrahameA » Mon Aug 27, 2012 11:40 am

Morning.
Bent Stick wrote:Fair suck o'the sav, a theodolite? Roady save me; I need several wee drams
Not only a Theodolite but a LASER Theodolite. :mrgreen: It is much easier, not forgetting much faster and more accurate, than the previous method. :mrgreen: :mrgreen: Plus we have direct read-out of the Shot Distance which is rarely the distance the Arrow has travelled. :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Personally I can hardly wait till we go to the stage of fitting RFIDs to the arrows and thus just load the data straight to the scoring sheet. As well, in addition, get the reader to go off with a metre or so so that it is much faster to find those missing arrows.
Grahame.

"Unfortunately, the equating of simplicity with truth doesn't often work in real life. It doesn't often work in science, either." Dr Len Fisher.

littlejohn59

#5 Post by littlejohn59 » Mon Aug 27, 2012 1:15 pm

:cry: I concur with bent stick
SPARE ME

GrahameA

#6 Post by GrahameA » Mon Aug 27, 2012 2:03 pm

littlejohn59 wrote: :cry: I concur with bent stick
SPARE ME
Obviously have not shot much Flight. :biggrin:

Jeff - re Trad, had 3 Longbow Archers on the line. Thinking of entering again next year. That gives me roughly 12 months to make the arrows and the strings.

And here is a link for those who missed it the last time around - and also some photos why the Theodilite.

http://www.ozbow.net/phpBB3/viewtopic.p ... 52&p=55254
Grahame.

Chase N. Nocks

#7 Post by Chase N. Nocks » Mon Aug 27, 2012 3:00 pm

GrahameA wrote:
SPARE ME
Obviously have not shot much Flight. :biggrin:

Jeff - re Trad, had 3 Longbow Archers on the line. Thinking of entering again next year. That give me roughly 12 months to make the arrows and the strings.

And here is a link for those who missed it the last time around - and also some photos why the Theodilite.

http://www.ozbow.net/phpBB3/viewtopic.p ... 52&p=55254
Excellent Grahame it looks like a lot of fun.

Being a member of Archery Australia I would really love to have a crack at this next year as well.

Is there qualifying needed to participate? Or special requirements?

Cheers
Troy
I am an Archer. I am not a traditional archer, bowhunter, compound shooter or target archer.....I am an Archer
"Shooting the Stickbow"

....enforced by the "whistling grey-goose wing."
"The Witchery of Archery"

GrahameA

#8 Post by GrahameA » Mon Aug 27, 2012 5:31 pm

Hi Troy
Chase N. Nocks wrote:Or special requirements?
Register when registrations open - approximately in 11 months, turn up on day at 0545. Bring Bow and Arrows. Suggest you read rules beforehand and the link to our fun and games of a few years ago. Smile for Camera.
Grahame.

Chase N. Nocks

#9 Post by Chase N. Nocks » Mon Aug 27, 2012 8:47 pm

Thanks Grahame,

Sounds like just the simple fun I need.
I am an Archer. I am not a traditional archer, bowhunter, compound shooter or target archer.....I am an Archer
"Shooting the Stickbow"

perry

#10 Post by perry » Mon Aug 27, 2012 10:27 pm

Fella's could someone please explain the controversy around use of a more accurate measuring system in a Flight Event, I am puzzled ??
Thanks for the lesson aswell, I had no idea what a theodolite was.

Grahame I had no idea there was any Flight Shooting going on in Brisbane, thanks for posting. I would have liked to go along for a look.

regards Jacko
"To my deep morticication my father once said to me, 'You care for nothing but shooting, dogs and rat catching, and you will be a disgrace to yourself and all your family.' "

- Charles Darwin

GrahameA

#11 Post by GrahameA » Mon Aug 27, 2012 10:38 pm

Hi Perry.
perry wrote:Fella's could someone please explain the controversy around use of a more accurate measuring system in a Flight Event, I am puzzled ??
I do not think there is, I could be mistaken, it is rather just a bit of warped humour. I will charge Roadie some of is fine fluid and have it credited to your account.

The big advantage of using a LASER theodilite is the reduction in time to do the measurements. On the weekend we started shooting at 0630 and were driving away by 0730.
perry wrote:Grahame I had no idea there was any Flight Shooting going on in Brisbane, thanks for posting. I would have liked to go along for a look.
SQAS is one of the few organisations in Oz that shoot flight and it is only shot once per year. You should think about Clout as well.
Grahame.

perry

#12 Post by perry » Tue Aug 28, 2012 6:36 am

I hope so mate because I see more and more "Warped Humour" on posts such as this, almost as if they are not regarded as Trad enough. Flight is such an Ancient Competition, who here hasn't had Fun seeing who's Bow can Shoot an Arrow further than their Mates does. Sometimes the real intentions like Humour can be lost in text :smile:

I will try to Relax :biggrin:

A few years back when I wanted to improve my Shooting I was going along to the Grange Company of Archers 1 or 2 times a month. I never did end up rejoining due to the expence of joining Grange Company, SQAS and AA. Being a member of 3DAAA , ABA, Grange Bowmen, SSAA, required licencing and Caboolture Bowmen it was getting a little expensive.

I have been getting an Itch to start shooting well again and for me this always means visits to a FITA Range. If I want to shoot Flight or Clout I'd have to join AA and SQAS, my money Tree fruits in very short seasons unfortunately

regards Jacko
"To my deep morticication my father once said to me, 'You care for nothing but shooting, dogs and rat catching, and you will be a disgrace to yourself and all your family.' "

- Charles Darwin

GrahameA

#13 Post by GrahameA » Tue Aug 28, 2012 6:52 am

Hi Perry.
perry wrote:I hope so mate because I see more and more "Warped Humour" on posts such as this, almost as if they are not regarded as Trad enough. Flight is such an Ancient Competition, who here hasn't had Fun seeing who's Bow can Shoot an Arrow further than their Mates does. Sometimes the real intentions like Humour can be lost in text :smile:

I will try to Relax :biggrin:
I prefer to stay with the warped sense of humour belief - and I am reasonably certain I am right.

Being a member of multiple clubs/associations will send you to the poorhouse ...... mumble, mumble.

Flight - it is probably the second oldest form of Archery Competition. The first was probably who can hit the target. It would be good to have a "Primitive Division" - but then again there is already a plethora of divisions.

I am not certain however, I would have thought you could have competed as part of the Archery Alliance. Here is a link to the Flyer for the last Comp and next year it will probably be the same. http://www.archerysqas.org.au/Competiti ... 0Entry.pdf

Did you read the previous post on the topic of Flight? Yes, people Rabbit on a bit however it is a huge learning experience. It is also a tad character building depending on how serious you are. A bit of time building and experimenting all to be put to the test and decided in a few minutes.

Did you notice the fletches on Greg's arrows. Still to big but nice concept.
Grahame.

Bent Stick

#14 Post by Bent Stick » Tue Aug 28, 2012 7:57 am

I think a warped sense of humour is far healthier than looking for a fight where there isn't one myself.
If your not having fun, your doing it for all the wrong reasons

GrahameA

#15 Post by GrahameA » Tue Aug 28, 2012 8:04 am

Morning.
Bent Stick wrote:I think a warped sense of humour is far healthier than looking for a fight where there isn't one myself.
Proof it is a warped sense of humour. :biggrin: I appreciate it - the sense of humour that is. All is good in the world - and even more so in Qld. :biggrin:
Grahame.

Stickbow Hunter
Supporter
Supporter

#16 Post by Stickbow Hunter » Tue Aug 28, 2012 10:02 am

perry wrote:I hope so mate because I see more and more "Warped Humour" on posts such as this, almost as if they are not regarded as Trad enough. Flight is such an Ancient Competition, who here hasn't had Fun seeing who's Bow can Shoot an Arrow further than their Mates does. Sometimes the real intentions like Humour can be lost in text :smile:
That is the pot calling the kettle black as they say as your one of the worst offenders of this in threads IMO Perry. :mrgreen:

Serious now, with regards the Trad enough comment other than a photo of a longbow this thread had pretty much nothing to do with Trad Archery IMO.

Jeff

Chase N. Nocks

#17 Post by Chase N. Nocks » Tue Aug 28, 2012 10:33 am

perry wrote:Fella's could someone please explain the controversy around use of a more accurate measuring system in a Flight Event, I am puzzled ??

Grahame I had no idea there was any Flight Shooting going on in Brisbane, thanks for posting. I would have liked to go along for a look.

regards Jacko
Pro - I thought it was an excellent idea as well. Accurate and fast.

Con - Although it seems that it did make the fun all over far too soon. :biggrin:

I know and agree with what you are saying about the cost of multiple memberships. I would love to just pay a combined Sporting Shooter/Archery membership - even at $200+ a year the convenience and single renewal date would be excellent.

Cheers
Troy
"Shooting the Stickbow"

Chase N. Nocks

#18 Post by Chase N. Nocks » Tue Aug 28, 2012 10:52 am

SPARE ME
Hi Jeff,

I thought this was the comment that Perry was referring to because I was curious about it as well. Probably in light of Little John's recent posts concerning aluminium arrows.

As for the TradBow representation, hopfully Perry and I will be able to add some support to Grahame's efforts.

Cheers
Troy
"Shooting the Stickbow"

perry

#19 Post by perry » Tue Aug 28, 2012 9:19 pm

I was not looking for a fight Fella's and it bothers me you think so. I was puzzled buy the comments about the Theodolite. I also did not know that what I know simply as Surveying equipment was called a Theodolite. Personnelly I think it's a great idea to measure distances shot in a Flight event.

Troy I had not made any connetions about previous posts in other threads, thanks for looking out for your Mate, appreciate it

If there is 1 Bow there that can be called Trad, it is worthy of being brought to the attention of Folks on this Forum. If Trad Archers are aware of such events, perhaps next year there may be more Trad Archers attending. Surely a worthy Goal.

regards Jacko

- Charles Darwin

Stickbow Hunter
Supporter
Supporter

#20 Post by Stickbow Hunter » Tue Aug 28, 2012 9:31 pm

perry wrote:I was not looking for a fight Fella's and it bothers me you think so.
I didn't think you were Perry and that is why I replied to you with a little humour, or at least I tried to.

I also thought using the Theodolite was a smart move.

Jeff

Roadie

#21 Post by Roadie » Wed Aug 29, 2012 10:15 am

Drinks anyone and is that with or without Ice. Cheers Roadie.

Stickbow Hunter
Supporter
Supporter

#22 Post by Stickbow Hunter » Wed Aug 29, 2012 11:17 am

Roadie wrote:Drinks anyone and is that with or without Ice. Cheers Roadie.
A Bundaberg Ginger Beer sounds good mate. :mrgreen:

Jeff

wishsong

#23 Post by wishsong » Wed Aug 29, 2012 11:17 am

flight shooting is great fun ... and a great way to test a bows parameters I reckon and a fine way to spend a day with other archers

Thanks for posting the link Grahame .

bigbob

#24 Post by bigbob » Wed Aug 29, 2012 11:34 am

For my 2 cents, i enjoy throwing an arrow at anything legit these days, and having never tried clout before the Barambah shoot found to my delight that I actually enjoyed it, even if my arrows were disappearing into the distance beyond the target.Cant see why I wouldn't enjoy flight too as long as i didn't get stabbed in the eye by all those stabilizers etc. :shock: :surprised: :roll: :razz: :lol: :lol: :lol:
nil illigitimo in desperandum carborundum
razorbows.com

Chase N. Nocks

#25 Post by Chase N. Nocks » Wed Aug 29, 2012 2:39 pm

G'day all,

Well I have to admit that I have never tried Clout or Flight but am now keen to give it a go.

There was a shoot started down south that was a type of Clout where shields were being shot at. I always thought this looked like a lot of fun.

I also think that with a grid system this could be a national and international competition something like IKCAC.

There could be a distance shooting round, best grouping for individual archer (like clout), most number of arrows in the grid over 30 or 60 seconds. One grid represents the King. (number of arrows ÷ number of archer requiring a minimum number of archers) even maybe a moving target.

now for something funny, I won't give the title away but the clip is pertinant to comments in the crossbow topic as well http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vAUp1ripJLE

I have watched it about 10 times now and am still chuckling every time.

Cheers
Troy
"Shooting the Stickbow"

wishsong

#26 Post by wishsong » Wed Aug 29, 2012 4:54 pm

Troy .... Clout and Roving marks are probably my favourite forms of archery ...........

give it a go ... its ace fun

Chase N. Nocks

#27 Post by Chase N. Nocks » Wed Aug 29, 2012 8:39 pm

I will mate. I belong to Grange Co. Of Archers and they do Clout couple times a year I think.

I'm gunna check my newsletters and see what's on the calendar.

Cheers
Troy
"Shooting the Stickbow"

Roadie

#28 Post by Roadie » Wed Aug 29, 2012 9:08 pm

So it all seems to me when one now goes out to sling a few arrows now instead of getting some exercise by walking we now use a theodalite to see how far we have shot the arrow. Isn't technology wonderful. Next we will have trained Dogs to go and Fetch the arrows. OH dear me. Time for a drink or two. anyone care to join me. Cheers Roadie.

GrahameA

#29 Post by GrahameA » Thu Aug 30, 2012 8:15 am

Hi Grant.
Roadie wrote:So it all seems to me when one now goes out to sling a few arrows now instead of getting some exercise by walking we now use a theodalite to see how far we have shot the arrow. Isn't technology wonderful. Next we will have trained Dogs to go and Fetch the arrows. OH dear me. Time for a drink or two. anyone care to join me. Cheers Roadie.
Not just any Theodolite. You want a modern LASER Theodolite. If you use a old style Optical version you will still have to do some Calculations - and that is bound to upset someone. :biggrin: If we were really smart, and had the cash, we would use some Geo-positiong gear which would also give a nice plot where the arrows landed.

Anyhow I digress - and I will try not to mention Flight again.

Hi Troy
I will mate. I belong to Grange Co. Of Archers and they do Clout couple times a year I think.

I'm gunna check my newsletters and see what's on the calendar.
On that same weekend, as the "not to be talked about" subject, was the SQAS Clout Championships.

As far as I am concerned AA Clout is shot far to often - and it is probably not Traditional either. (Although it may be Historical?) (Anyhow I digress further - and I will try not to mention Clout again after this post.) Clout is shot on a regular basis at both Mount Petrie and Samford Valley (the new name for Grange). For Club Clouts you need to check the Club Calendars for SQAS Clouts you need to check the SQAS Calendar and such normally get a post in upcoming events.

MPB - http://www.brisbanearchery.com/
Samford Valley aka Grange - http://grangearchery.org
SQAS - http://www.archerysqas.org.au/

You should read the rules first.

Battle Clout, ie shooting at shields. Started in Victoria, Has been shot at a number of SCA events in NSW and Qld, Was shot at the Abbey Medieval the other year. My observations suggest that it is much more fun for the competitors than the spectators. It is much faster to shoot than AA Clout

Mini-Clout There are people who shoot Mini-Clout at ad-hoc times. I arranged for a Mini-Clout about 6 weeks ago on a Saturday morning. Flu-Flus at 50 odd metres - 55 yards for the none SI minded. We use to to shoot 100 yard Clout at Centenary. With some very sophisticated high drag arrows out of those bow with cams (please don't beat me to death for mentioning them).

p.s. If you want to talk about Clout or Flight send me a p.m.

Other Clout. Rob McKenzie had Clout the other year at the Hawkesbury Shoot.

Addenda

Yourself and Perry should make the effort and come along to a SQAS Field Shoot. It will most likely be Marked Distance and is more of of a challenge than you may think.
Grahame.

wishsong

#30 Post by wishsong » Thu Aug 30, 2012 9:25 am

:roll:

Grahame .. why even bother ?