Importing or taking a bow with arrows into New Zealand

General discussions. Politics, scuttlebutt, whatever: you're getting married, changing jobs, got a gripe or a compliment, dying to get out with the bow etc.....

Moderator: Moderators

gt1cm2

Importing or taking a bow with arrows into New Zealand

#1 Post by gt1cm2 » Thu Jan 12, 2012 10:13 am

Hi guys,

has anyone on here tried taking a bow in a case with arrows (same package) into New Zealand or tried importing into NZ? My work mate is looking at buying a bow package and has been told that if they are both in the same package or case that he can't do that as it is considered a weapon. Has anyone come arcoss that? Just asking here incase someone has on the off chance.

Cheers
Cindy

wishsong

Re: Importing or taking a bow with arrows into New Zealand

#2 Post by wishsong » Thu Jan 12, 2012 3:46 pm

4 of us landed in NZ last March with bags and packs loded with bows, arrows and knives ... the nice man at customs was far more interested in the soil attached to my boots than anything else ...

But Just ring them up maybe ... they were more than helpful , and specific , when i spoke with them over the phone voicing the same queries .

jindydiver

#3 Post by jindydiver » Fri Jan 13, 2012 12:41 pm

gt1cm2 wrote: My work mate is looking at buying a bow package and has been told that if they are both in the same package or case that he can't do that as it is considered a weapon.
This is rubbish

I have taken my bow to NZ many times and it is no problem at all. All the NZ authorities care about is the quarantine aspects of your gear. You just tell them all the shafts are new as are all the heads and any arrows used in a paddock have been washed and are clean and they will let you walk in with hardly a raised eyebrow. I have even had the customs guys engage me in conversation about hunting and give me tips about hot spots in their home towns :)
Mick

Nearly all men can stand adversity, but if you want to test a man's character, give him power.

Abraham Lincoln

gt1cm2

#4 Post by gt1cm2 » Fri Jan 13, 2012 5:51 pm

Awesome, thanks guys I shall let him know (and tell him to hurry up and buy a bow)!

little arrows

#5 Post by little arrows » Fri Jan 13, 2012 7:57 pm

when we went to NZ their custom people were great, more interested in what we were doing than anything else.
We actually had more difficulty at Brisbane airport with the overzealous security guard saying "they were deadly weapons" and was getting all bent out of shape.........anyway we soon sorted it out.
So you'll be right mate.
cheers
sue

Brumbies Country

#6 Post by Brumbies Country » Tue Jan 17, 2012 6:42 am

I had no trouble taking longbow and wooden arrows into NZ. As others have said AQIS and NZ quarantine are more worried about dirt on your arrows, boots etc. From an AQIS and NZ quarantine point of view they usually want you to mention in your declaration that you have wood items, but if they look at the finish on timber bows arrows they seem satisfied.

stickshooter

#7 Post by stickshooter » Fri Jan 20, 2012 7:47 pm

like evryone say's,you'll have no trouble bringing you bows & arrows into my fine county :lol: