Trad events

General discussions. Politics, scuttlebutt, whatever: you're getting married, changing jobs, got a gripe or a compliment, dying to get out with the bow etc.....

Moderator: Moderators

wal

Trad events

#1 Post by wal » Tue Aug 23, 2011 10:09 am

Hey All, I have a bit of a question to the people who attend a few of the trad shoots around the country.

What are your favourite events/novelties ?

With the Ballarat shoot coming up we are looking at maybe throwing a few new and different activities into the
mix, so I'm searching for ideas, it's all about the fun for most of us, so anything safe could be considered.

Cheers

twisted limb

Re: Trad events

#2 Post by twisted limb » Tue Aug 23, 2011 10:22 am

Hi Wal
I love the moving targets but for me the best novelty around is the popinjay at Wisemans Ferry.

John.

SouthTexasPighunter

#3 Post by SouthTexasPighunter » Tue Aug 23, 2011 10:28 am

Wal do yall have night shoots? We setup smaller 3-d targets in front of good backstops in a row roughly 20 yards out, we then attach glowsticks at the head of each target. When it gets dark to where you see only the lightstick the shooters on the firing line are given ten seconds (by whistle blast) to shoot as close to center as possible using only the lightstick as reference(this is why we put it on the head, in case of miss's), after 10 seconds the whistle is blown again and the flashlights come on and bows are secured. The line judges walk the line and record the hits then they decide who came closest to center or ten ring or whatever is decided as the winning shot when the rules are set. Depending on how many shooters you haveyou run it round robin with the winners from each round advancing to the finals. Each round winner gets a small prize(shooting glove, armguard etc) and those who go to the finals shoot for Night shoot Champion and a big prize (Knife, quiver, dozen arrows etc). You get everyone interested in participating to put 5 to 10 dollars in the pot(whatever you decide) then breakdown the shooters into groups say 14 shooters two groups of seven on seven targets. Two group winners and one overall winner for the big prize. The winners get the "donated" prizes and the club keeps the match fee to utilize to the next shoot or wherever it is deemed. Its all in good fun with plenty of ribbing between each round plus it tells you who the Outlaws are...... just kidding :wink:
STP
Peace and Walk The Way of The Hunter

Mick Smith

#4 Post by Mick Smith » Tue Aug 23, 2011 5:56 pm

I was always going to try to organise an event that combined speed, accuracy, lots of fun, an element of chance and quick thinking. What I had in mind would go along these lines.

Six targets would be lined up along on top of three normal sized bales of straw. The targets would be small enough to be knocked over by a single impact. Once the targets were knocked over, they would land behind the straw bale, eliminating them from further hits for that round. The targets could be simple flu-flu targets, loosely wedged into place or they could be rabbits cut out of EVA foam. It wouldn't really matter what the targets were, just so long as they fell over when hit. It would be better if the targets had some sort of scoring zones in case of a draw. In the event of a draw the archer with the highest scoring hits would prevail over other contestants with an equal number of 'knock downs'.

It would work like this, you would have six archers line up 20 metres from the 6 targets. Each archer would have 6 arrows only. Once everyone was ready, the referee would shout 'shoot' and the contestants would begin shooting. As a contestant, you could shoot very fast or you could shoot slowly but accurately, it would be completely up to you. There would be no time limit, as the round would be over when all the targets were knocked over, or when the contestants ran out of arrows. Contestants could shoot at any of the six targets at any time, even the ones that other competitors might consider their's due to them being closer.

At the end of the round, the targets would be inspected to see who's arrows were sticking out of them. If two archers had an equal number of hits, then the winner of that round would then be the one with the most accurate placement of their arrows in the targets.

I think this would be great fun, Imagine the fun of plucking away a target just milliseconds before a fellow competitor. Imagine their shock and surprise. It also involves some strategy.

The winners of each round would then face each other in a final shootout for the grand prize.

This event would be quick to set up. It would be very easy to reset after each round. It would be cheap. It would be easy to referee. But most importantly, it would also be a barrel of laughs.

Mick
There is no use focusing on aiming if you don't execute the shot well enough to hit what your are aiming at.

Trad Bound

#5 Post by Trad Bound » Wed Aug 24, 2011 9:45 pm

Hi Wal
I'm with Wisemans, contact Robert who runs the wisemans event. The man has some amazing activities. I'm planning to go to Wisemans and all being well I'll be at Ballarat so I can share all of this years activities. He has running time limit events in all different ways, poppinjays from a 14 metre tower, rolling discs off a ramp on the ground etc etc. Robert is the ultimate bowerbird for picking things up and recycling them.
Cheers Tony

little arrows

#6 Post by little arrows » Thu Aug 25, 2011 7:25 pm

Hi Wal,

There are now 2 shoots in Qld that are very loosely based with similar novelty events to the Wisemans Ferry shoot. This shoot is the one that has us all travelling from distances to attend, because it is well worth it.

Rolling discs down slippery dips and shooting them along the ground before they stop. 30secs static speed round. 60 seconds speed round with, 6 targets 6 shooting positions archers moves spot to spot until time runs out. Running target - 6 positions (including sitting). Shooting styrofoam balls off radio towers with flu flus- and much more.

cheers
sue

matt61

#7 Post by matt61 » Sat Aug 27, 2011 8:44 am

Wal
I printed off a whole list of ideas off the Tradgang site.
cheers
Matt