fish recipe

Recipes. What more can one say? You killed it, you eat it. First you gotta cook it...

Moderator: Moderators

looseplucker

fish recipe

#1 Post by looseplucker » Wed Jan 27, 2010 12:27 pm

Hey

When frying fish, don't just roll in flour - roll in a 50-50 mix of flour and polenta - or just polenta and then fry up or batter and crumb (and you can add polenta to the crumbs too).

Did this recently with some Bassa (catfish) - great. Redfin goes nicely with it too.

Then with the left over flour/polenta mix, batter and breadcrumbs make up some small dampers (boost with polenta and its cornbread) - about the size of a golf ball, steamed veggies and you are away. Good tip - gravy goes well with the cornbread, even though you are having fish.

Enjoy
Are you well informed or is your news limited?

otis.drum

Re: fish recipe

#2 Post by otis.drum » Wed Jan 27, 2010 8:48 pm

gravy goes well with everything :)
...otis...

longbow steve

#3 Post by longbow steve » Thu Jan 28, 2010 7:22 am

Thanks for the idea John, with the Redfin had you removed the skin?
My favourite way of preparing fish is to simply shallow fry then return to skin side down and add soy sauce to a hot frypan then place the lid on whilst the soy burns off giving a nice smokey/crispy finish mmm. Steve

Gringa Bows

#4 Post by Gringa Bows » Thu Jan 28, 2010 9:04 am

sounds like a tasty recipe LP,i'll have to give it a try :wink: ...........Rod

looseplucker

#5 Post by looseplucker » Thu Jan 28, 2010 12:35 pm

Howdy

Yes, I skin the reddies - takes out the rib bones too. Skinning is a fun thing with Redfin tho' those spines hurt!

I am going to try that soy recipe! Thanks for that one too.
Are you well informed or is your news limited?

jindydiver

#6 Post by jindydiver » Thu Jan 28, 2010 4:52 pm

We discovered corn flake crumbs next to the bread crumb mixes at the supermarket and find it great on flathead fillets :)
I mix red curry paste into the flour using a sieve to get it all fine enough, then roll the fish in the flour, then egg then corn flakes and we just don't have left overs :D
Mick

Nearly all men can stand adversity, but if you want to test a man's character, give him power.

Abraham Lincoln

Damo'

#7 Post by Damo' » Sat Jan 08, 2011 11:40 am

I agree- flour, well it tastes "floury"
I will certainly try polenta in my next fry up!
Maybe do some corn fritters with them- I pull my trag jew out of the freezer today.
My favorite way to cook red throat emperor fillets these days is pure and simple-
I dust off the fillets in potato starch, fry them in butter with a drop of peanut oil (so it doesn't burn absolutely black). A pinch of cayenne pepper, ground black pepper and just as it is about to finish a shot of Moscato sweet wine to make a sauce up to dress the fish on the plate, serve with potato wedges(par boiled before frying or roasting, it makes them crunchier) and some balsamic smacked specialty lettuce leaves, leb cucumbers, tomatoes and red onions for a salad, ohh and a drip of aussie xrtra virgin oliva oil.
(QLD) What happened to summer?

Damo'

#8 Post by Damo' » Sat Jan 08, 2011 11:42 am

jindydiver wrote:We discovered corn flake crumbs next to the bread crumb mixes at the supermarket and find it great on flathead fillets :)
I mix red curry paste into the flour using a sieve to get it all fine enough, then roll the fish in the flour, then egg then corn flakes and we just don't have left overs :D
Another you could try is shredded coconut- its tops for crumbing butterflied prawns with a sweet thai sauce
:shock:

Nephew

#9 Post by Nephew » Tue Jan 18, 2011 1:15 pm

otis.drum wrote:gravy goes well with everything :)
I'll second that! :)
Lately, if life were treating me any better, I'd be suspicious of it's motives!