A healthy perspective recipe

Recipes. What more can one say? You killed it, you eat it. First you gotta cook it...

Moderator: Moderators

looseplucker

A healthy perspective recipe

#1 Post by looseplucker » Wed Mar 25, 2009 11:28 am

OK

Can't say I caught or killed any of the ingredients, but given the thread on a particularly intimate medical procedure dealt with elsewhere - here is my recipe for a muesli sort of thing.

What you can do, if you dont like milk on cereal (which I hate) is either have this with yoghurt or cut fruits of the season, or a combo of the lot. When out in the weeds the cut fruit is a good option- very filling, low GI and keeps you charged up during the day. This tends to go well with sliced banana, nectarine and apple, with a few grapes as well. Make sure you mix it all up or it can be a bit dry and you will cough and splatter someone.

You can also mix it up with butter or olive oil and, say, a beaten egg, and bake in the iron pot, or have as griddle cakes. A bit of SR flour also helps. You could also be adventurous and chuck in some diced ham or bacon - and do up a whole heap and have them as snacks throughout the day - plenty of carbs and energy - and that combo of the meat and the fruity stuff is just fine.

I always take this stuff camping/hunting and stuff. Its a change from the old eggs and bacon in the morning, but you can always have both. And the grains etc will help with the cholesterol of the fry up..

Anyhow:

2 cups of rolled oats
1 cup psyllium husk (careful with this, a bit dusty - worse than breathing in bamboo dust)
1 cup of bran (either unprocessed, oats or barley)
1/2 to 1 cup of sultanas
1/2 cup dried cranberries
1/2 cup of chopped dried fruits - dates, apricots, apple
1/2 cup of dessicated coco-nut.

You can also chuck in unprocessed brown sugar (the sticky powerdery stuff, not the granules) for taste, as well as a few crushed weet-bix etc).

Get into the container and shake the bejasus out of it.

Have as indicated above.
Are you well informed or is your news limited?

longbow steve

Re: A healthy perspective recipe

#2 Post by longbow steve » Wed Mar 25, 2009 12:06 pm

My Partner gave me an apple juice with Psylliam husk in it recently with no concern to measure, I was sent straight to the toilet :roll:.
I am a part time healthy eater, generally when I am competing I look after my self :D . I get into the oats, baked beans and all other low GI foods, lately we have been looking at acid/alkali forming foods and made the switch from oats to millet poridge as it is a rare alkali grain.
It is recomended that 60% of our diet be alkali and 40% acid when you start to breakdown our diet, it is hard to find that 60% alkali.
Steve