Bush Damper

Recipes. What more can one say? You killed it, you eat it. First you gotta cook it...

Moderator: Moderators

MarkP

Bush Damper

#1 Post by MarkP » Fri Oct 24, 2003 8:37 pm

I reckon this is easily the best damper receipe. A good bushy friend of mine told me about it some time ago and I've never tasted better.

Ingredients;

2 parts SR flour
2 parts cold billy tea
1 part raisins/sultanas

Mix and roll together and cook in a camp oven as per normal damper. Eat hot with some butter and honey.

Fantastic

MarkP

Mark

#2 Post by Mark » Sun Oct 26, 2003 7:05 pm

G'day Mark, I'll give it a try.
I pride myself in my camp fire cooking but damper hasn't been a strong point.
My first attempt was while towing a caravan from W.A through the N.T. to Q.L.D. and the "damper" made a dam good wheel-chock that lasted most of the trip!!

Mark K.

Buford

#3 Post by Buford » Sat Nov 15, 2003 9:30 pm

just thught i would throw in my 2 cents, alot of people have trouble with the camp oven getting too hot and burning the outside (under side mainly) into something that wouldn't look out of place on the floor of the milking sheds. i get better results with a cooler oven. only down side is you need to add a bit more moisture to the mix to prevent it drying out during the longer bake.

hope that helps....... well what d' ya know! my baking apprenticeship was useful! :)
Stupid TV! Be more funny!

lcoast

#4 Post by lcoast » Fri Dec 26, 2003 11:35 am

hmmm, your damper looks a lot like our bannock. What is SR flour? Is SR a brand name?

=keith=

erron

#5 Post by erron » Fri Dec 26, 2003 3:31 pm

SR = Self Raising flour, Keith. Just plain with a rising agent, basically, I think. Of course, our resident baker could probably give a better explanation, yeah, Matt?

:)

Erron

lcoast

#6 Post by lcoast » Sat Dec 27, 2003 10:31 am

Thanks Erron, our bannock calls for baking powder....my guess is your SR flour has baking powder. Pretty neat. You guys want to really make that damper sing throw a couple of eggs in it. Powder eggs work if you don't want to carry the kind with breakable shells out into the bush.

=keith=

Bullwinkle

#7 Post by Bullwinkle » Sat Dec 27, 2003 12:58 pm

I stopped making Damper about three years ago. Now I just buy those premixed bread mixes, throw in a heap of fruit and there you have it. If you do any extended trips the gear has to be kept down, with this stuff you only carry about a third of the amount to get the same as you would with damper. It tastes alot better as well.

lcoast

#8 Post by lcoast » Sun Dec 28, 2003 2:09 pm

Is fruit a pretty common commodity in Australia or is it centralized in certain areas? I mean if a guy is out hunting pigs or whatever, what are the odds of finding some kinda fruit to munch on?

We have some berries in my part to the world, huckleberries, blackberries, wild raspberies, some elder berries and now and then an apple tree that came from who knows where and a small wild crabapple. nothing that would fill you up or too readily available. But some of it would do good in damper.

=keith=

Buford

#9 Post by Buford » Mon Dec 29, 2003 6:02 am

yeah SR flour is just normal flour with levening(rising) agents in it, like baking powder.

the reason premix bread tastes better is because it has softeners and preservitives in it.

putting eggs in damper will give it a bit more lift and also hold it together/ stop it from crumbling if its too dry.

and finially..... lcoast, i think bullwinkle is refering to dried fruit in a box.

cheers :wink:

buford

Mike-dy

#10 Post by Mike-dy » Thu Feb 19, 2004 6:22 pm

Try replacing the tea with beer, and top of with cheese and bacon.
Eat straight from the oven with butter, makes a meal if the days hunt hasn't been great.

Mike

erron

#11 Post by erron » Sat Jun 19, 2004 7:14 pm

Hmmm, beer, cheese, bacon and butter, what's missing?

:?

Nuthin'!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

:lol:

Erron

yavigaaz

#12 Post by yavigaaz » Tue Dec 13, 2005 8:20 am

This is going to be horribly embarrasing. How do you make Damper!?
I am one of the many unfortunately under-priviledge youth who doesn't get taught these things.. lol Damn living in a city area.. So yeah.. Young, don't know.. please inform?

Would be handy to know, plus, If you're an Australia this is a must to know!!! Don't you agree?

- Jeremy

Buford

#13 Post by Buford » Tue Dec 13, 2005 6:51 pm

Jeremy,
Welcome to ozbow mate. :wink:
Everyone has their own interpretation on the humble damper. So long as you can eat it without growing an extra head (see NZ recipe :lol: ), your on a winner.
Here's a basic one to try.

cheers
Buford

BUSH DAMPER

3 cups of self-raising flour
1/2 teaspoon salt (optional)
3 tablespoons butter
1 cup water/ milk

yavigaaz

#14 Post by yavigaaz » Tue Dec 13, 2005 9:10 pm

Woo Thank you WRC. 55!!

I'm going to get the ingridients tomorrow and play around with the damper recipe!! :D Then hopefully when ever i go camping/hunting i can make beautiful damper!! lol

Is there any particular ways to cook it?

- Jeremy