Baked apples

Recipes. What more can one say? You killed it, you eat it. First you gotta cook it...

Moderator: Moderators

Troppo Sticks

Baked apples

#1 Post by Troppo Sticks » Wed Jan 31, 2007 12:00 pm

Baked apples and custard.

When out hunting or at the beach doing a spot of fishing and there is some youngsters around a simple dish that’s enjoyed by all is baked apples and custard. My mum taught me how to do these.
Step 1. Wash and core an apple for each person (green skin apples are best) my core tool is a piece of 25mm stainless tube but a small blade knife will do the trick.
Step 2 Using that small knife again cut through the apples skin around the apple half way up.
Step3 Place each apple onto a sheet of foil that has been smeared with butter.
Step 4 Fill the apple core with mixed dry fruit, a clove, a pinch of cinnamon, a squeeze of lemon juice or orange juice and a teaspoon full of sugar and a small dob of butter.
Step 5 Turn the alfoil up around the apple, add a tea spoon of water into the apple core and twist the foil together at the top of the apple and place each apple on the base of the camp oven or at home you can place them in a oven proof glass baking dish and place into the oven.

Bake slowly in your camp oven until the apples are cooked (3/4 hour) They should be soft. Note: Add a couple of extra sheets of foil to the bottom of the camp oven to catch any spillage. It tends to be hard to wash off the camp oven. :roll:

Now the hard bit I could run you through the steps to make custard and you will either have it or not. The best way is to buy custard in the bottle, and it’s as good as Mums, well almost.
Serve those baked apples on the foil with a good splash of vanilla custard and yes you will be looking around for seconds. :wink: