Cooking wild pork

Recipes. What more can one say? You killed it, you eat it. First you gotta cook it...

Moderator: Moderators

Troppo Sticks

Cooking wild pork

#1 Post by Troppo Sticks » Tue Jan 30, 2007 11:42 am

cooking wild pork.
I believe the best time to eat wild pork in the Northern Territory is just after the wet season as those hogs have been living on nothing but the best food, succulent lily bulbs, yams and of course worms, birds eggs, turtle eggs on the coast and its all clean food.
The best hogs to eat would have to be young ones about half grown size.
This is the only time I will take a hog with an arra that’s not a boar with good tusks.
Hygiene is a must with me and I don’t like the meat touching the ground so the legs are cut of at the main hip joint then hung in the closest tree and the skin removed. The legs are then placed on ice in the esky. If you are in cold climates this is not necessary but in the tropics the heat and humidity putrefies meat quickly.
The wild pork can be eaten the same day or placed into the freezer to be eaten later.
Cooking
There’s a number of ways you can cook the pork
Method 1.
Slice thin sections of meat from the leg and place it in a marinate of your choice, or try mine, which is some soy sauce, squeeze of lemon Juice, some fine diced garlic and onion a spoonful of peanut paste (butter) a squirt of honey, some pepper to taste and If you like some chilly. Safety warning! Some people have an allergic reaction to peanut products so ask them before you start preparing.
Prep your cast Iron fry pan with a cube of butter or a dash of cooking oil and heat over the coals and then add in the marinated pork and fry for around ten minutes stirring occasionally.
Serve as is, but it is great over some boiled rice or fried rice.

Method 2
Heat up your camp oven on a bed of coals add a splash of cooking oil and slice in a large onion stir until the onion browns then add your leg of pork and sear the meat, roll it over a few times until its brown Place the lid on the camp oven and allow to cook for one hour at slow cooking temperature adding extra coals around your camp oven when necessary.
Turn the roast over occasionally and after cooking for the hour add in a cup of water, garlic salt and pepper to taste and continue cooking for an additional hour on slow heat.
When cooked you can remove the leg and wrap in foil and make up nice gravy from the residue in the base of the camp oven. Tip out excess fat. Add some plain flour and stir it in to the nice bits in the oven splashed with water as you go, then add some self raising flour mixed with water and a dash of port wine and bring to the boil then simmer for ten minutes to ensure the flour is cooked and you should have a nice tasty gravy that compliments that bow shot leg of wild pork. Alternatively you can use some gravox, but that’s lazy gravy.
Serve sliced with boiled or baked vegetables. Veg like spuds and pumpkin with a dob of butter, then wrapped in a parcels of foil on the coals are great. Drizzle the lot with that gravy and you have a great meal.
Its ruff when you are out hunting

Stickbow Hunter
Supporter
Supporter

#2 Post by Stickbow Hunter » Tue Jan 30, 2007 1:02 pm

Col,

Just reading that made me hungry!!! :lol:

I don't mind a leg of pork done like that I can ya. :D

Thanks for taking the time to share your cooking methods.

Maybe this will get Butcho to share a couple of his receipes as he ain't half bad with a camp oven either. :)

Jeff

trikegeoff

Re: Cooking wild pork

#3 Post by trikegeoff » Fri Jul 16, 2010 9:20 am

troppo sticks
i love your post great information and id love so much to have a go at cooking a pig i have taken myself. there is alot of talk around that wild pig holds alot of disease. is this true? if so how do you know if the pig is healthy or not?
id love to hear from anyone who can help me with this inquiry, im sure there is things to look out for in other game such as rabbits hares goats and deer. im sure a little in field experiance from anyone could go along way to help alot of people.

g_r

#4 Post by g_r » Fri Jul 16, 2010 4:47 pm

Round here its your duty to let the wild hog be examined by a vet otherwise youre not allowed to guve parts of it away to others. Its because of Trichinae, lillte worms that live inside the meat, especially muscles and liver.
I dont know if you have Trichinae down there but i reckon so.
What i do for my own consumption is either dont care and cook it real well (they die above 80 dgree C) or slice fine slivers of the liver, the foreleg and the backlag, than place em between two glases and look to it through a microscope. If the hog has this disease, then theres 100% going to be some seen if you take two slices of liver, one from the inside on from the outside.
Sounds like alot of trouble but takes only 10 minutes and then you wont have to worry at all.
watch youre feet, you may never know where they might take you....

Always scout like you are scouting scouts!

muntries

#5 Post by muntries » Fri Jul 16, 2010 4:57 pm

:shock: Might stick with getting my bacon from the local butchers!!

Just googled it http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Trichinosis
"With staff in hand, the hunter stood on Radholme's dewy lawn" The Hunters Song (Olde Lancashire Poem) by Richard Parkinson.

jindydiver

#6 Post by jindydiver » Fri Jul 16, 2010 5:07 pm

We do not have Trichinae here in Australia. Mainland at least. It has been found once in some devils in Tas, the story goes that a Euro backpacker disappeared in the area and was never found :shock:
Mick

Nearly all men can stand adversity, but if you want to test a man's character, give him power.

Abraham Lincoln

g_r

#7 Post by g_r » Fri Jul 16, 2010 5:07 pm

"Believe me, the secret of reaping the greatest fruitfulness and the most enjoyment out of life is to live dangerously" Friedrich Nitzsche

:D yummy wild pork :D
watch youre feet, you may never know where they might take you....

Always scout like you are scouting scouts!

Roadie

#8 Post by Roadie » Fri Jul 16, 2010 7:49 pm

Another problem with eating wild game one has shot is the possibility of getting "Salmonella" poisiong,(I think thats how you spell it). Believe me it's not plesant, I finished up in Hospitial for a couple of days, severe body cramps,and the lasting leagacy of this is I am have a severe allergy to Pork and most Game animals. So now I just hunt the animals for skins and meat for the Dogs. Cheers Roadie

trikegeoff

#9 Post by trikegeoff » Wed Jul 21, 2010 6:56 pm

thank you so much for all of the advise im sure should i ever get the chance to take a porker ill be a little more aware before tucking in.

littlejohn

#10 Post by littlejohn » Sat Jul 24, 2010 8:37 am

Roadie......I thought salmonella was caused through improper storage of meat/food...ie...leaving it out of refrigeration at elevated temperatures for prolonged periods of time.....I didn't think this was a naturally occurring bacteria in the live animal????
In any case...I'm glad ur ok. Pete
Anyone else know??

jindydiver

#11 Post by jindydiver » Sat Jul 24, 2010 12:03 pm

littlejohn wrote:Roadie......I thought salmonella was caused through improper storage of meat/food...ie...leaving it out of refrigeration at elevated temperatures for prolonged periods of time.....I didn't think this was a naturally occurring bacteria in the live animal????
In any case...I'm glad ur ok. Pete
Anyone else know??
Many animals can harbour a low level infection of salmonella (particularly reptiles) and it is one of the reasons you must be careful with your meat and not allow contamination from gut contents or from any of the muck it might have on it's hide.
It is not common, and properly handled you shouldn't ever encounter it with wild game meat. Go to an area where food resources are drying up quickly because of a large pig population (and the pigs are eating a lot of other less fortunate pigs) and you would be doing the right thing not taking any meat unless you were sure you could get it off the animal cleanly and cooked in good time.
Mick

Nearly all men can stand adversity, but if you want to test a man's character, give him power.

Abraham Lincoln

littlejohn

#12 Post by littlejohn » Sat Jul 24, 2010 5:25 pm

Mick,
Thanks for that clarification. As I have previously stated, "I haven't hunted in a while but am keen to get back into it", I'm also keen on the concept of being able to get a good feed and utilising as much of the animal as is practical...but not a t the risk of health to myself or others. I guess it just means being aware and mindful of the total equation.
It seems there is a definite division between the guys that are prepared to eat there harvests/kills and those that are not for one reason or another.
You just look at the rising prices in living and then look at all that free food out there.......
Sorry.....it's just the primitive archer in me.
cheers guys...pete