Another Jerky Recipe

Recipes. What more can one say? You killed it, you eat it. First you gotta cook it...

Moderator: Moderators

Axe

Another Jerky Recipe

#1 Post by Axe » Wed Jun 15, 2005 7:44 am

Jerky/ billtong
I make mine very dry, to the point if you try to bend it, it breaks, but obviously softens when put it in ya gob or in water , added to your bush stew etc,etc. Being this dry it lasts for ages, have some I have had for 8-9mths, still good, also being this dry & devoid of fat it doesn't get mildewy or go rancid. I make it with goat, venison, topside beef, or any other beef for that matter.

All I do is cut the meat into strips,1"x4"x 1/4" thick, (this size because it suits the dehydrator) remove any fat, marinate the meat strips in pepper & maggi seasoning for about 2hrs, then I put it into my (K mart )dehydrator, can also be done in a low oven with the door partly ajar.for 8hrs or so, that's it. The kids & mates love it, sent some to Sparra, also seemed to like it.

Have also made it similar to the African billtong, again lean meat, rub with pepper, hang in sun to dry, the pepper apart from taste keeps the flies at bay. To add abit of difference to this, a fire can be lit beneath it and with the right type of wood will put a nice smokey taste through it as well.

Some folks make their jerky by placing the meat into an enclosed smoker.
I have done this on a smaller scale ie a fish smoker was used, it's ok but IMO thats to be eaten fairly soon after being made :D

erron

#2 Post by erron » Thu Jun 16, 2005 2:53 pm

Thanks for putting tis here, Axe. I must try making some next time we get a patch of sunny days in Melbourne :lol:

Erron

CameronPotter

#3 Post by CameronPotter » Thu Jun 16, 2005 3:10 pm

erron wrote: I must try making some next time we get a patch of sunny days in Melbourne :lol:

Erron
So basically you will never try this!?!

:roll:

I live in Tassie, who am I to talk? :D

jindydiver

#4 Post by jindydiver » Thu Jun 16, 2005 3:28 pm

I love my dehydrator, but I have never been tempted to make jerky in it.....until now :D
Mick

Nearly all men can stand adversity, but if you want to test a man's character, give him power.

Abraham Lincoln

coach

#5 Post by coach » Fri Jun 17, 2005 6:34 pm

I love my dehydrator, but I have never been tempted to make jerky in it.....until now
Well go and do it ! Just put some chilli in the marinade for me mate :D
I make mine very dry, to the point if you try to bend it, it breaks, but obviously softens when put it in ya gob or in water , added to your bush stew etc,etc.
Thats why you drink LOTS of beer with it Axe :wink:

grizzly

Re: Another Jerky Recipe

#6 Post by grizzly » Sat Aug 06, 2005 9:55 am

Have also made it similar to the African billtong, again lean meat, rub with pepper, hang in sun to dry, the pepper apart from taste keeps the flies at bay. To add abit of difference to this, a fire can be lit beneath it
axe
my brothers inlaws are southafrican
and as well as the pepper they soak the meat in vinegar,which aslo helps cure the meat
before hanging it to dry

grizzly steve

Bandit

#7 Post by Bandit » Fri Dec 29, 2006 4:47 pm

i know this topics been hybernating for a while, but i'm going to have a go at making some jerky tomorrow, i was thinking about marinating it in honey soy sauce, might try a few different things and see whats best. anyway, was curious as to how low is cooking it on low? and cook it for about 8 hours, with the door ajar, is that about right?
any advice is appreciated thanks
bandit
*attack life, its going to kill you anyway*

losty

jerky

#8 Post by losty » Sat Dec 30, 2006 9:10 pm

The way i do it is to marinate it in store bought marinade cos im too lazy to make it for 12 hours, then dehydrate it for 12 hours at 63oC in my dehydrater. Now to simulate that in an oven youd need to replicate that 63oC , which for most ovens would be real low (mine starts at like 100oC) so definitely with the door ajar.

You may need it a little higher to dry it in 8 hours, but you must be careful not to cook your meat as this will not preserve your meat adequately. Jerky making is merely a drying process, which preserves the meat. Also, as previous posts have stated, thin lean strips of meat devoid of fat are best, both for the texture and taste but also preservation.