Basic bread.

Recipes. What more can one say? You killed it, you eat it. First you gotta cook it...

Moderator: Moderators

tracker

Basic bread.

#1 Post by tracker » Tue Aug 10, 2004 6:30 pm

Hi.. this is my basic bush food.. one cup of plain flour, a pinch of salt and pepper and some dried italian mixed herbs.. a pinch of sugar. All of that is dry inside a ziploc bag with a sachet of dried yeast and a cube of parmesan cheese. The better the parmesan the better this tastes btw.

Ok.. I have a small container of olive oil - I use an empty M&M's container with the fliptop lid.. it's small - I add some oil to the dry ingredients and some water and KNEAD it for 5 or 10 mins. The little pinch of sugar is a cheat to give the yeast a real good start.. :wink:

I use some of the oil to oil some alfoil sheet that I have folded up in my pack - small again! - and then put the mini loaf NEAR the fire to rise for half an hour or as long as you want.. do it before you go for your arvo hunt and it's all ready to bake when you come back.

When it's ready to bake.. I knock down the loaf and squish it out to around half to 3/4 inch thick and shave parmesan all over the top.. cover with the alfoil so it's a little parcel and sit it on the coals for 5 or 10 mins and then cover it with coals for a further 5 or 10 mins to brown the top and it will be DONE! Bellisama! :D

Perfect if you need some carbs while bushing it and need to go light but don't like CRAPPO slop two minute noodles.

And if you get a bit of game then some toasted bunny or whatever plus this will see you right by the fire. :D

Mick.
"One has been a bad spectator of life if one has not also seen the hand that in a considerate fashion - kills." Nietzsche.

Buford

#2 Post by Buford » Tue Aug 10, 2004 6:39 pm

sounds good mate. :wink:
I have seen a bread/damper quite close to that made and it tastes great. only difference is some sun dried tomatoes in with the olive oil. :wink:
and then put the mini loaf NEAR the fire to rise for half an hour or as long as you want.. do it before you go for your arvo hunt and it's all ready to bake when you come back.
important point :!:
dont let the dough get above 50 -60 degrees while 'proofing' or the heat will kill the yeast and you will get no rise when you bake.
:roll: sorry, getting ready to go to work and have bread on my mind.

cheers
buford
Stupid TV! Be more funny!

tracker

#3 Post by tracker » Tue Aug 10, 2004 6:51 pm

Yep Buford.. you can trick it up all sorts of ways.. I sometimes leave out the herbs and oil.. add some EXTRA sugar.. and slather it in golden syrup out of ANOTHER m&m container in the morning for brekkie.. VERY versatile. :D :D
"One has been a bad spectator of life if one has not also seen the hand that in a considerate fashion - kills." Nietzsche.

erron

#4 Post by erron » Tue Aug 10, 2004 7:26 pm

Matt,

that has to be the shortest busman's holiday on record! :D

Mick,

you're the cook when we get to hunt! 8) :D

Erron