Deer Gut?

Recipes. What more can one say? You killed it, you eat it. First you gotta cook it...

Moderator: Moderators

hubris

Deer Gut?

#1 Post by hubris » Thu Jul 22, 2004 10:17 am

I'm not sure if anyone watched that Heroes of Telemark doco last night but it had a interesting section on deer meat and gut contents.

One of the original guys spent some time with the indians of northern canada, and learnt from them that by taking out the gut of a deer, and leaving it in the snow for a while to go solid, you could later cut it open and cut off little bits of the half digested plant matter to combine with the meat into a nutritious (and supposedly tasty) stew. Supposedly the half digested plant matter (unlike most plant fibres) is easily digestable by humans since the deer gut has taken out the acid. He said that a lot of this matter, in this case the snow moss, grass and lichen was high in carbs and vitamin C, which in combination with the deer meat, was a great winter combination.

If I'm lucking enough to get a deer this winter up in the hills (a blind deaf and dumb one), I'll give it a go :D

Anyone else tried or heard about this part of indigenous diets?

saul.
Saul 'Winks at Goats' & 'Paddles from Crocs'

Stickbow Hunter
Supporter
Supporter

#2 Post by Stickbow Hunter » Thu Jul 22, 2004 11:57 am

Saul,

I'll take his word for it as I don't wish to try it. :shock:

You can if you wish but I'll have the back strap on its own thanks! :D

Jeff

erron

#3 Post by erron » Thu Jul 22, 2004 12:36 pm

Sounds like the Game eating the Game to me, mate :shock: :D

Haven't heard anything else myself, and would probably lean towards Jeff's culinary prefernces too!

cheers,

Erron

Tuffcity

#4 Post by Tuffcity » Thu Jul 22, 2004 12:51 pm

Aahhhh...yea....

Having opened more than one ungulate, and also enduring several episodes of having to wash the dog after he decide that the "salad" would put a nice gloss to his coat, I'll let you be the official "field tester" for that culinary treat. :D

I'll stick to romaine with a nice ceasar dressing... :D

RC
That which doesn't kill me better run for cover...

hubris

#5 Post by hubris » Thu Jul 22, 2004 2:11 pm

hahahaha... you're all gutless-girly-blouses!

Yes... I prefer backstraps also... but it'll come in handy one day if I'm ever secretly asked to sabotage a Nazi heavy water factory and I'm forced to winter out 3 years in the Norwegian snow :wink:

Tuffcity

#6 Post by Tuffcity » Thu Jul 22, 2004 3:15 pm

hahahaha... you're all gutless-girly-blouses!
Yes, but... How many parasites does one man really need any way? :shock: :D

RC

hubris

#7 Post by hubris » Thu Jul 22, 2004 3:34 pm

heheheh...

ahhhh... you'll all be crowding around my tasty deer gut stew when it all snows over and it's the only vitamin C around! :wink:

tracker

#8 Post by tracker » Thu Jul 22, 2004 3:40 pm

I read this in the paper today...

Headline was.. "High Tech New Meals - Just add urine"

http://www.news.com.au/common/story_pag ... 62,00.html

I think I'd rather be eating Saul's deer and cud stew to be honest. :wink:

Mick.
"One has been a bad spectator of life if one has not also seen the hand that in a considerate fashion - kills." Nietzsche.

Tuffcity

#9 Post by Tuffcity » Thu Jul 22, 2004 4:22 pm

you'll all be crowding around my tasty deer gut stew when it all snows over and it's the only vitamin C around
...and I'll be the guy by the fire broiling a steak and brewing up a nice cup of pine needle or birch bark tea to get my alotment of vitamin C :D

RC (consumer of non-predigested food :D )

Hubris, have you also been trying those chocolate covered forest raisins as well? :wink: :lol:

hubris

#10 Post by hubris » Thu Jul 22, 2004 4:35 pm

heheh... I'll have to compare how much birch and pine needle tea you'll need to drink to get the same amount of vitamin C and Carbs.

I'll do some tests next time I'm up in the snow with the guys and check the colour of my urine while I'm peeing into my US army noodle stockpot.

Saul: "Mick , Adam... your noodles are ready guys!... eat up while it's nice and luke warm"
Mick: " Mate is it supposed to be so yellowy orange?"
Adam: "Geeeze... it's tangy!"
Saul: "Yeah that's just the native tumeric plant that I added... look it's here in my new book..." :shock:

erron

#11 Post by erron » Thu Jul 22, 2004 7:39 pm

Hey Mick, that reminds me of when Ghandi (? or some Indian polly) recommended the Urine diet to Gough Whitlam. This consists of drinking your own urine for breakfast, as a health tonic. Apparently Ghandi was right into it. Gough replied that he 'never hit the **** before lunch'.

:D

Erron

choko

#12 Post by choko » Thu Nov 17, 2005 7:34 pm

hi everyone this is my 1st post.

recently I was in argentina, and the gauchos (cowboys), live on an entirely carnivirous diet, the only way this is possible without getting scurvy is to eat the gut. traditionaly they would kill a cow, dig a hole , put the cow in(whole), make a fire...
48 hrs later they would tuck in.
I had a modern version in a restaruant, lotsa offal, (I had what was desribed as the saliva gland( hmm delicious) blood sausage, and plenty of choice cuts.

so there ya go

doc

noodle stockpot & dear gut stew

#13 Post by doc » Sat Sep 01, 2007 8:46 pm

hubris, you're both mad & a born survivor. yahoo. if the world were full of thinking people, it would be so much better. Yass indeed.
but i'm saving the wee for better uses: stale wee is the best shampoo/conditioner invented.
I'll have your dear gut stew over heavy water/winter starvation any time.
Each day is a gift. Enjoy the Present.