Venison recipes please....

Recipes. What more can one say? You killed it, you eat it. First you gotta cook it...

Moderator: Moderators

littlejohn

Venison recipes please....

#1 Post by littlejohn » Mon Sep 27, 2010 9:00 pm

Got some hind quarter steaks.....
Any home grown tasty recipes appreciated.
I like tried and trusted stuff from local sources rather than some fancy pants commercial cookbook.
Regards....Pete

muntries

Re: Venison recipes please....

#2 Post by muntries » Mon Sep 27, 2010 9:19 pm

Here's one I made from venison from a mates farm.

Rich Mans Lancashire hot pot

4 Med sized Potatoes
1 large onion
handful of mushrooms (I hardly weigh things out)
venison (better if its the crappy cuts and still on the bone as it adds flavour)
Oysters
Bacon
tbl spoon of butter
Cup beef stock or venison stock if you have the time and bones

Grease a caserole dish with butter, thinly slice the potatoes and line the bottom and sides with thin slices of potato. Add a layer of chopped onion, garlic & Mushroom and then a layer of venison & oysters then onion, garlic & mushroom and again the venison & oysters (keep going until your a couple of inches from the top). Add more thinly sliced potatoes to the top, add the cup of stock but don't over fill only about half should do. Put top on caserole dish and cook for about an hour or so. Take off the lid and lay the bacon on top of the potatoes along with the remaining butter and cook in oven for about 10-15 min (not too long or the bacon will be incinerated).

You can even add bacon along with the other meat, I do it like that because its nice to have a bit of crispy bacon with it.

Finally serve with a nice glass of Barons ESB in true Lancastrian spirit.

cook at about 180C
"With staff in hand, the hunter stood on Radholme's dewy lawn" The Hunters Song (Olde Lancashire Poem) by Richard Parkinson.

jindydiver

#3 Post by jindydiver » Mon Sep 27, 2010 9:32 pm

littlejohn wrote:Got some hind quarter steaks.....
Just had some beautiful steaks tonight :)

Just cut the steaks about 15mm thick and give one side a quick bash with a meat mallet (big side, not small). You then chuck it in some beer for a hour or so and then cook it. Put the steak in a hot oiled pan with the rough (bashed) side up and watch for the blood coming up, then flip it and again watch till you see the steak bleed then whip it off and rest it for a few minutes.
A bit of wholegrain mustard and some salad and you are good to go :)

The whole back leg is not the same. The muscle on the top (sirloin tip) is really for stew or schnitzel, while the round and silverside are great for steaks.
Mick

Nearly all men can stand adversity, but if you want to test a man's character, give him power.

Abraham Lincoln

littlejohn

#4 Post by littlejohn » Sat Oct 09, 2010 9:07 am

Thanks Jindy
They came out good mate.
cheers....pete

jindydiver

#5 Post by jindydiver » Sat Oct 09, 2010 11:28 am

littlejohn wrote:Thanks Jindy
They came out good mate.
cheers....pete
Glad you liked it :)
I find simple works great with fallow especially, the meat is very fine flavoured and can be dressed up with very little.
Had a great meal during the week. Fallow silverside muscle, rolled in ground pepper and a little salt. Pan fried in macadamia nut oil, 5 minutes or so on each side then on a dish (and under a plate) to rest for 5 before cutting into steaks and serving. With tomatoes, cucumber and snow peas dressed with blood plum finishing vinegar :D
The family and I will live on meals like this over summer.
Mick

Nearly all men can stand adversity, but if you want to test a man's character, give him power.

Abraham Lincoln

Gringa Bows

#6 Post by Gringa Bows » Sat Oct 09, 2010 12:01 pm

Cut it out will ya's i'm starting to dribble.......more than normal :lol:

littlejohn

Re: Venison recipes please....Thanks

#7 Post by littlejohn » Mon Oct 11, 2010 8:36 pm

thanks Tony,
I'll give that a bash as well
I just luv the exchange of knowlege on sites such as this. Its how it should be....
regards....Pete