knife laws in new south wales

Blades. Knife-making, Flintknapping, sharpening broadheads, etc. A showcase for the talents of Cutlery and Artillery Artisans, and a place to sell and source wares, as well as materials, vendors etc.

Moderator: Moderators

trikegeoff

knife laws in new south wales

#1 Post by trikegeoff » Thu Jan 14, 2010 12:09 pm

hi guys
i have been thinking a bit about the new knife laws that have been put into action in Melbourn (random search and confiscation).
my question to all is what are the current and future knife laws in new south wales?
i do and always have carried a stock type pocket knife with me at all times. either on a belt in a pouch or in my pocket. this knife is a single blade with a single edge that is about 3inches long(blade).
am i still alowed to carry this knife?
any information on this subject would be great.
thank you
geoff

Roadie

Re: knife laws in new south wales

#2 Post by Roadie » Thu Jan 14, 2010 3:25 pm

Hi Geoff, there is a bit off a grey area here, I have, like you always carried a knife in a pouch on my belt, as a police officer here told me,during the day and as its part of my work and or hobby, he thinks it ok with him. But if I am seen out side the local at night dressed up for a party and still have the knife with me, then he would question my sanity and would take it of me and or throw me in the Paddy waggon for me to spend a night at the watchhouse. I think the police are dammned if they do and dammned if they dont, there is no reason for youths to be on the streets carrying knives, full of what ever, just spoiling for a fight. Thats my 2 bobs worths. Cheers Roadie.

waynerob

#3 Post by waynerob » Thu Jan 14, 2010 9:04 pm

Guys, the NSW laws are fairly vague and mostly are based on the intended use of the knife. You may not carry a knife on an "inclosed land" such as school grounds or a government owned site. Cutlery is excluded from this, and there are reasonable excuse provisions for carrying a knife in outer places. You may not use a knife anywhere in a manner which would cause apprehension in "a person of reasonable firmness", regardless of whether such a preson is present or not. It is all in section 13 of the Crimes Act.

I haven't heard of any plans to review the knife laws at any point.

Wayne

trikegeoff

#4 Post by trikegeoff » Fri Jan 15, 2010 8:14 am

thanks
i think i will continue to carry my knife as per usual.i am not an evil person and will not set out to harm anybody with a knife.
i can only hope that a police officer should they randomly search me take me for the socially accepted person i am, and take no further action.
i like many other people would love to get the official word of the law, so if anyone heres somthing please post it here. im sure it will be usefull to many readers.
thank you again for your replies

waynerob

#5 Post by waynerob » Tue Jan 19, 2010 10:22 pm

There are parts of the Sydney CBD (George Street near the theatres from memory) and possibly other parts that are declared knife free zones, where the Police have powers of search and confiscation of anything with a point or cutting edge including cutlery. These areas are signposted, I wouldn't be wearing a pocket knife into these areas.