Serrated Knife sharpen

Blades. Knife-making, Flintknapping, sharpening broadheads, etc. A showcase for the talents of Cutlery and Artillery Artisans, and a place to sell and source wares, as well as materials, vendors etc.

Moderator: Moderators

Bill
Supporter
Supporter

Serrated Knife sharpen

#1 Post by Bill » Tue Jan 12, 2010 8:15 am

This is a question to anyone, that has had success in sharpening, a Serrated edge knife.

I've had a go with a dremel high-speed rotary tool, used a number of small grinding stone attachments of various sizes. But have had no true effect of actually sharpening the blade without burring the edge on the opposite side.
So please are there any other ideas, as to how I will get a keen edge without ruining a good knife.
But before you all condemn me, I have been trial testing on some old and broken blades to try and achieve the best results, making sure that I don't grind the knife edge to the point that it changes colour. ...............thanks........Bill

jindydiver

Re: Serrated Knife sharpen

#2 Post by jindydiver » Tue Jan 12, 2010 4:57 pm

DMT make a round sharpener for serrated knives
http://www.dmtsharp.com/products/diafold.htm
Mick

Nearly all men can stand adversity, but if you want to test a man's character, give him power.

Abraham Lincoln

Bill
Supporter
Supporter

#3 Post by Bill » Wed Jan 13, 2010 12:11 pm

So far I've had a number of respondents either via this sight or via email and I thank you all. I've looked at and made an effort experimenting with you suggestions and will let you know the the outcome in the near future, again with thanks...............Bill

roscoe

#4 Post by roscoe » Wed Jan 13, 2010 5:26 pm

BILL
the dmt diafold diamond sharpener works real well, you can get it in a course or fine. I sharepen my bread knife with it and get good results. if it is a serrated flat sided knife, sharpen the serrations first then place the knife on a very flat surface (suface plate/glass plate) with fine wet and dry paper and remove the burrs.

Chase N. Nocks

#5 Post by Chase N. Nocks » Wed Mar 31, 2010 3:05 pm

Continue to sharpen until the serrated edges disappear. :lol: :lol: sorry Bill, couldn't resist.
I am an Archer. I am not a traditional archer, bowhunter, compound shooter or target archer.....I am an Archer
"Shooting the Stickbow"

....enforced by the "whistling grey-goose wing."
"The Witchery of Archery"

Bill
Supporter
Supporter

#6 Post by Bill » Wed Mar 31, 2010 7:21 pm

Hello C.N.N yes I agree you do loose that serrated edge after continuous sharpening but you then get a great straight edge hunting knife.