First Knife

Blades. Knife-making, Flintknapping, sharpening broadheads, etc. A showcase for the talents of Cutlery and Artillery Artisans, and a place to sell and source wares, as well as materials, vendors etc.

Moderator: Moderators

pdccr

First Knife

#1 Post by pdccr » Tue Dec 15, 2009 9:10 am

Here is my first knife that i made out of a hacksaw blade, i wanted to make a longer knife and had i shaped and was going to drill it but when i drilled it it must of got too hot and it broke in 2, this knife i made out of the small remnant of the big one. I used a drill press and a proper metal drill bit.The handle is spotted gum with leather. The blade holds a nice edge but i wanted a thick knife for fishing and camping.
Image004.jpg
Image004.jpg (61.21 KiB) Viewed 3374 times
Image006.jpg
Image006.jpg (94.4 KiB) Viewed 3374 times
Image007.jpg
Image007.jpg (74.59 KiB) Viewed 3374 times
Image008.jpg
Image008.jpg (75.22 KiB) Viewed 3374 times
Cheers, Toby

Stickbow Hunter
Supporter
Supporter

Re: First Knife

#2 Post by Stickbow Hunter » Tue Dec 15, 2009 10:54 am

Toby,

It looks rugged but you seem to have put a good edge on it - good first effort. I would suggest that you make a better sheath for it as I can see that thread being cut and the blade poking out and giving you a nasty cut.

Jeff

pdccr

#3 Post by pdccr » Tue Dec 15, 2009 12:31 pm

Yeah, i was thinking about that.

I just need to figure out how to drill the blade without it shattering as its only currently being held by epoxy.
Cheers, Toby

jindydiver

#4 Post by jindydiver » Tue Dec 15, 2009 2:09 pm

pdccr wrote:Yeah, i was thinking about that.

I just need to figure out how to drill the blade without it shattering as its only currently being held by epoxy.
Have you got a dremil? If you grind a hole with a small drum or with a disc you can put a pin through. I have used the dremil disc to cut a groove before to get pins in.

You can also drill with a carbide bit. If you clamp the blade hard to a piece of solid wood (good hard gum or something) you can turn your drill press up to as fast as it will go and use the carbide bit to cut through. It smokes a lot but gets the job done. Use some good drilling lube so your bit doesn't get too hot or the carbide piece will fall out.
Mick

Nearly all men can stand adversity, but if you want to test a man's character, give him power.

Abraham Lincoln

pdccr

#5 Post by pdccr » Wed Dec 16, 2009 8:01 am

Yeah, i am going to get some carbide bits to try it that way, i think it just overheated and shattered.
Cheers, Toby

jindydiver

#6 Post by jindydiver » Wed Dec 16, 2009 12:05 pm

A lot of the power hacksaw blade are high speed steel and they can use some heat treating to make them more usable. Fire up your BBQ as hot as you can get it and stick the blade in so it gets red hot. Leave it in there and leave the fire till the next day. The steel wont be soft, it will still work well as a knife, but it will have lost that brittle quality that is your problem.
This is how flexible they are after the fire treatment
Mick

Nearly all men can stand adversity, but if you want to test a man's character, give him power.

Abraham Lincoln

pdccr

#7 Post by pdccr » Wed Dec 16, 2009 12:34 pm

I might give that a go. I also went to bunnings and bought a carbide bit and a HSS drill set. They were on sale so i bought them both. I will have to get some more hacksaw blades though.
Cheers, Toby

jindydiver

#8 Post by jindydiver » Wed Dec 16, 2009 2:37 pm

If they are proper carbide bits designed for drilling hardened steel you run them slow and keep the fluid up to them. What most guys use is the drills you put in your hammer drill for drilling rocks. You sharpen up the end on a fine grind wheel and run them really fast keeping the coolant up to it.
The HSS drills won't damage the saw blades at all, they are for drilling soft steel (mild).
Mick

Abraham Lincoln

woodie

#9 Post by woodie » Wed Dec 16, 2009 8:40 pm

knife looks good. if you have a spair $100 or so you can get full carbide drill bits from blacwood or the likes for drilling hard metals. I use a lot of the at work. lanilan work good for a cutting fliud.
woodie
may your arrows fly straight and true and your limbs return.

Gringa Bows

#10 Post by Gringa Bows » Thu Dec 17, 2009 6:23 pm

not bad for your first attempt Toby,you'll get better with each one :wink: ....Rod

Nephew

#11 Post by Nephew » Tue Dec 22, 2009 8:37 pm

It's a better knife than I've ever made (having made no knives)! Good Onya! :)
Lately, if life were treating me any better, I'd be suspicious of it's motives!

pdccr

#12 Post by pdccr » Wed Dec 23, 2009 9:08 am

Thanks Moreton... :lol:

Went out to the reef on the weekend and turned out to be a perfect gutting knife, short and sturdy. Out of the 20 or so hours we fished we caught two nice 70cm Reddies and a coral trout and about 100 little tiddlers, never seen such a lack of big fish out there. Forgot to seal the leather so it turned to muck after all the blood and guts but it was a pretty shoddy job anyway. Might have to go even further out next time to get the big ones.
Cheers, Toby

terryzac

#13 Post by terryzac » Thu Dec 31, 2009 12:02 pm

here is my first attempt at forging a blade. have progressed a little since then.
forged from a coil spring off a xb falcon

Stickbow Hunter
Supporter
Supporter

#14 Post by Stickbow Hunter » Thu Dec 31, 2009 1:17 pm

It is coming along alright. I hope those red spots on the concrete aren't an indication of how sharp it is. :shock: :lol:

Jeff