Where can I buy some pieces of Deer antlers?

Blades. Knife-making, Flintknapping, sharpening broadheads, etc. A showcase for the talents of Cutlery and Artillery Artisans, and a place to sell and source wares, as well as materials, vendors etc.

Moderator: Moderators

munruben

Where can I buy some pieces of Deer antlers?

#1 Post by munruben » Mon Nov 09, 2009 3:47 pm

Hi guys, I am not a hunter but I have friends who are. I am afraid I would not be able to hit a barn door at 10 paces. What I am looking for is some small pieces of Deer antler to use in my hobby which is pen turning. I have made many pens over the years using timber but have seen some really nice work done from USA using antlers and I would love to try to do some myself. Import laws restrict imports of this kind so I am trying to source something in Australia. I only need small pieces or pieces that I can cut down to around 3 to 4 inches. (75mm to 100mm) Longer peices are okay cos I can cut them to size.
If anyone knows where I can buy antler pieces from, I would appreciate it very much, I have tried to obtain some myelf but so far have been out of luck.
I am prepared to pay for the pieces but I just can't find anyone who sells it.

Coach

Re: Where can I buy some pieces of Deer antlers?

#2 Post by Coach » Mon Nov 09, 2009 5:18 pm

Have you tried Deer Farms ?

munruben

#3 Post by munruben » Mon Nov 09, 2009 6:16 pm

I have been trying to locate one nearby but I dont think there is any in Brisbane :D but I will do a search for them again and see if there are any that are not too far away.

charlievee

#4 Post by charlievee » Mon Nov 09, 2009 6:34 pm

Another place to try is knife shows. I've picked up some antler at the Melbourne knife show before. Makes great knife handles. Regards, Charlie.

Alex

#5 Post by Alex » Tue Nov 10, 2009 5:29 am

Theres a deer farm in Samford and another one near Maleny.

Alex.

munruben

#6 Post by munruben » Tue Nov 10, 2009 8:06 am

Thanks guys, have contacted the farm at Samford and looks like I will have to do a trip up there.