Winchester Knives

Blades. Knife-making, Flintknapping, sharpening broadheads, etc. A showcase for the talents of Cutlery and Artillery Artisans, and a place to sell and source wares, as well as materials, vendors etc.

Moderator: Moderators

DylanK

Winchester Knives

#1 Post by DylanK » Wed Sep 30, 2009 9:13 pm

Gday Fellows

From what I gather, Winchester knives are cheap chinese made, with the logo stamped on them to give them some credibility. Have seen a few which look alright but have no idea how they hold an edge. I have bought a 'sports' knife from Big W a few years ago now, and that cost me $10 and I can skin a small deer with it without having to sharpen during. My only problem with it is that it is not full tang and looks sorta dodgy. This is the knife im looking at:

So, any one have any experience with these knives?

Cheers,

Dylan

gundy

Re: Winchester Knives

#2 Post by gundy » Wed Sep 30, 2009 9:34 pm

Dylan, theyll do the job, but yes, cheaply made with horrible heat treat.

What sort of dollars they askin?

DylanK

#3 Post by DylanK » Wed Sep 30, 2009 10:15 pm

Around $55. Seems a bit steep for a low quality knife.

Steven J

#4 Post by Steven J » Thu Oct 01, 2009 1:42 pm

Dylan,

Get youself 3 Mora's and pay for postage for that price. Get a clipper, tradesman, 510 pay for postage from www.ragweedforge.com and you will never need another knife. They are the BEST value knifes around at about USD $10 each. I like the carbon steel versions but stainless is available too. They are not as pretty, but function every bit as good as my custom knives. Sheaths are a bit dodgy, so you will want to make another. Let me know if you need help or ideas.

Just my two cents,

Steve
http://www.stevenjawerth.weebly.com

On Christ the solid rock I stand, All other ground is sinking sand. Edward Mote, 1797-1874

DylanK

#5 Post by DylanK » Thu Oct 01, 2009 3:32 pm

Thanks for that Steven. I have seen those knives before, but can't remember where...To me a knife is not only a tool, its a work of art. While im sure the frost mora knives are good, I can't get away from their looks. Just plain ugly to me. I looked around on the site though and found a nice finish blade, but it's only in carbon steel (it will rust on me).

I also found some really knice custom work from an Australian man, but at $260 a pop, I have to save my pennies. Might just hold off for awhile until I can afford it.

Dylan

Steven J

#6 Post by Steven J » Thu Oct 01, 2009 5:02 pm

A carbon steel knife won't rust on you unless you plan on scuba diving on a regular basis with it. Ive got carbon blades that are 10 years old that still have a mirror surface on the blade. Forget ugly. Ugly is when you get in trouble by spending too much. Get one, use it until you can afford the knife of your dreams, then leave it in the car or the workshop for rough stuff so you don't damage your good knife; just like having a good shirt for Church on Sunday!!! You don't go wearing it while drenching sheep do you? :lol:

As you can tell, I am a big fan :wink:

Steve

On Christ the solid rock I stand, All other ground is sinking sand. Edward Mote, 1797-1874

Trad Bound

#7 Post by Trad Bound » Thu Oct 01, 2009 6:59 pm

Dylan Take Steven's advice he makes his own beautiful knives if he gives them a rap go for it. If you need more convincing go to Bushcraft UK Mora is big there.
Cheers
Broken arra

Coach

#8 Post by Coach » Thu Oct 01, 2009 7:24 pm

Steven J wrote:A carbon steel knife won't rust on you unless you plan on scuba diving on a regular basis with it. Ive got carbon blades that are 10 years old that still have a mirror surface on the blade.

Steve
Thats a bit misleading isnt it Steve ? Of course a Carbon blade will rust ! Your Carbon Blades that are ten years old must be wrapped in grease and paper and have never seen any use .

DylanK

#9 Post by DylanK » Thu Oct 01, 2009 7:41 pm

The knife I made not too long ago is half covered in rust as we speak, and thats high carbon steel. I dont want to oil the thing everytime I wash it. The mora knives are also too small for what I would like. A 5-6inch blade is what im after.

Thanks for the info fellas

Dylan

Steven J

#10 Post by Steven J » Thu Oct 01, 2009 10:15 pm

Coach, you are right, it is a bit misleading; however I do truly have old knives that are not rusty. With the exception of the Eka folder (which is now dull but not rusty as I do not use it anymore) that was given to me over 20 years ago by my Farfar (Swedish translation - Fathers Father) the sheaths are leather that has been soaked in wax and linseed oil and I think this helps. When I sharpen the blade of a carbon knife, I either use a bit of the paste from the water stone on my finger to polish the surfaces that don't touch the stone or allow the whole blade to contact the strop to polish the blade. The lanolin that I use to dissolve the white rouge into the leather probably has an anti rust effect also.

I might sound arrogant but if someone cares so little about their knife that they allow it to rust then they why are they using one? It is like saying that you won't use wooden arrows because they rot in the grass if left for more than a few months :!: Just wipe the blade over your jeans to remove the dirt, sap or blood before you sheath the knife then wash it off when you get home. I would do the same for a knife that was made out of stainless steel or 'Chinese cucumber alloy'.

The type of bloke that lets a knife go rusty beyond a nice grey patina probably opens a paint tin with a chisel, bends over a nail that won't drive home or hammers steel wedges with the back of his dull axe :shock:

Anyone here wax their bow string or polish their boots :?:

Steve

Steven J

#11 Post by Steven J » Thu Oct 01, 2009 10:29 pm

Sorry Dylan, if I got away from your request for info. I get a bit passionate about this stuff :D

Steve

DylanK

#12 Post by DylanK » Fri Oct 02, 2009 5:27 pm

Lol not to worry. I dont polish my boots and I usually open a paint tin with whatever is lying around (be it a knife, or a chisel) :lol:

Really though, a stainless steel is what im after. From what I can gather the SSteels that are now availible rival carbon steel, or close to it. That cheap Big W knife I mentioned earlier is basically my mora knife. I need a serious blade though that isnt so thin and is full tang. Im interested in this knife:

The first 2. 5 3/4" blade, 3.3 cm wide, 3 mm thick. That shape and size is what I am after. About $115 shipped from the states but the only thing I dont like is the handle. Why such ugly wood?

Dylan

Coach

#13 Post by Coach » Fri Oct 02, 2009 5:37 pm

If a knife cant open a can of paint , it aint worth owning :wink: As for polishing my work boots ,, nah ,, I aint there to look pretty :lol:

Whats wrong with the wood ,, I think it looks pretty good :)

As I said ,, talk to Stewart Townsend if you want a nice knife ,, and for not much more than those you have shown :wink:

Glenn

#14 Post by Glenn » Fri Oct 02, 2009 6:10 pm

I think the wood in those knives looks very appealing...Glenn...

Coach

#15 Post by Coach » Fri Oct 02, 2009 6:23 pm

Yep , it does Glenn,, I like the first one best :D

longbow steve

#16 Post by longbow steve » Fri Oct 02, 2009 6:26 pm

That may be Olive wood Jeff, The bits I have seen look just like that. Steve

Coach

#17 Post by Coach » Fri Oct 02, 2009 6:59 pm

longbow steve wrote:That may be Olive wood Jeff, The bits I have seen look just like that. Steve
Well ,, in my time pruning Olive Trees I have not seen anything like that ,, it's all white and featureless .
If it looked like that ,, I would be keeping some :wink:

longbow steve

#18 Post by longbow steve » Fri Oct 02, 2009 7:03 pm

http://www.bethlehemolivewood.net/knife.htm
Your stuff may be plain but when dry and cut across the growth rings it will have colour. End grain never looks good.

Coach

#19 Post by Coach » Fri Oct 02, 2009 7:20 pm

ok ,, now go and finish ya bows 8) :lol:

Gringa Bows

#20 Post by Gringa Bows » Fri Oct 02, 2009 8:19 pm

i like the timber in both knives,wish i had some like it....................Rod

Steven J

#21 Post by Steven J » Fri Oct 02, 2009 9:01 pm

Nice looking knives. Not to fancy for no good reason. Handles need a bit of belly to the grip - like a good scandi :lol:

Steve

DylanK

#22 Post by DylanK » Sat Oct 03, 2009 10:24 am

The photo shows a very nice grain pattern, which I like too. But some have very ordinary grain patters:

For an example.

Dylan

charlievee

#23 Post by charlievee » Mon Nov 09, 2009 6:43 pm

+1 for Ragweed forge. Ragnar is a very nice fellow and has always given me great service with the orders I've made with him. There are bigger Mora style knives on his site. Also, you could look at buying a blade from him and make your own knife. Warning : it's addictive though. The scandi knives (especially Moras) are terribly underrated. They are designed to cut, and cut they do. They're not pretty (well, some are) but they cut like demons. Sorry, I am biased. Regards, Charlie.

Coach

#24 Post by Coach » Mon Nov 09, 2009 7:40 pm

charlievee wrote:. They're not pretty (well, some are) but they cut like demons. Sorry, I am biased. Regards, Charlie.
No need to be sorry ,, I think Scandis are ugly as well :evil: