had a go at knapping

Blades. Knife-making, Flintknapping, sharpening broadheads, etc. A showcase for the talents of Cutlery and Artillery Artisans, and a place to sell and source wares, as well as materials, vendors etc.

Moderator: Moderators

clinton miller

had a go at knapping

#1 Post by clinton miller » Fri Jul 24, 2009 10:38 pm

i was given some stone points by a fellow ozbow guy. one was a long dagger shaped piece.
i thought i would have a go at turning it into an arrowhead. the original point was about an inch longer and the same width. i made it shorter and notched the base. it weighs 260gr and is nice and sharp. it's begging to be hafted to some wood..... :) :)

i was really pleased with my efforts as a beginner.
The degree of satisfaction gained from the accomplishment of a goal is directly proportional to the hardships and challenges overcome in order to achieve it.

border black douglas recurve 70# & 58# HEX6-H BB2 limbs
brigalow selfbow with rawhide string

Benny Nganabbarru

Re: had a go at knapping

#2 Post by Benny Nganabbarru » Sat Jul 25, 2009 9:01 am

Looks good and deadly to me. Good job!
It's the great, big, broad land 'way up yonder,
It's the forests where silence has lease;
It's the beauty that thrills me with wonder,
It's the stillness that fills me with peace.

Habitres

#3 Post by Habitres » Thu Aug 20, 2009 9:39 pm

nice job, looks like a beauty. Now you have to just make a few more.
Pigs can now fly.

pdccr

#4 Post by pdccr » Thu Aug 20, 2009 10:09 pm

Looks good mate, is it legal to hunt with stone points? I know it is illegal in some states in america.
Cheers, Toby

otis.drum

#5 Post by otis.drum » Fri Aug 21, 2009 4:55 am

you've done well there clint. good effort. is it destined for a pigs heart or does it have other plans
...otis...

clinton miller

#6 Post by clinton miller » Fri Aug 21, 2009 4:02 pm

it might get tested on a freasly killed buff one day as a part of some stone point/buffulo lethality testing.
The degree of satisfaction gained from the accomplishment of a goal is directly proportional to the hardships and challenges overcome in order to achieve it.

ichiban

#7 Post by ichiban » Thu Aug 27, 2009 6:30 am

where did u get the blank? here in canberra we have no knappable stones that i know of
Im gonna make it bend and break-Fall Out Boy

clinton miller

#8 Post by clinton miller » Thu Aug 27, 2009 5:11 pm

it was given to me by kimall. it was a longer dagger like point, i just turned it into an arrowhead.

not much knappable stuff in australia. the only rock i know of is mookite. it is found in a creek bed near the kennedy ranges in WA.....apparently.

the biggest source for us down under is glass. i just got a heap out of an old TV today. about 1/2" thick. big slabs too. should be a knife and some arrow heads hiding in it somewhere. i'll just have to try my best to get them out. LOL

ichiban

#9 Post by ichiban » Thu Aug 27, 2009 5:15 pm

i have heard that we do have flint out west, may have to go and talk to the geology dept. at anu and ask for freebees
Im gonna make it bend and break-Fall Out Boy

Glenn

#10 Post by Glenn » Fri Aug 28, 2009 12:24 pm

Nice job on the arrow head Clinton. Out around Longreach up on the jump-ups you find knapped stone under a lot of the trees. Looks as though aborigionals use to carry it up there from the channel country and knapp tools up there for some reason. The rock is white with some read colour through it, it feels greasy to touch. I could have given you a large piece to try, it is hard, maybe it could be heat treated. I have bought obsidian from Australia but I was told it wasn't much good for knapping as it was to old, I had some and it was very soft...Glenn...

pdccr

#11 Post by pdccr » Fri Aug 28, 2009 1:16 pm

When i went to katherine in the NT, we found loads of old arrow heads and spear heads, i wish i could have taken some back but i only had hand luggage and it was too sharp. They used to have a few aborigonal camp sites along the riverbed. Not sure what they were using but there were so many some looked like they were naturally knapped so it must have been fairly fragile.
Cheers, Toby

muntries

#12 Post by muntries » Wed Nov 18, 2009 3:11 pm

Other stones other than flint can be knapped to form axes or arrow heads. Quartz and quartzite that you find scattered throughout the goldfields could be a goer and is made from same stuff as flint. I'm a pom and back home I used to collect rocks as a kid and one thing we looked out for when hunting for true flint was the presence of limestone or chalk (preferably the latter) so if you find yourself by the beach near portland and warnambool it might be worth keeping an eye out for materials. Sometimes volcanic areas can have rocks with similar properties to flint, such as the greenstone that was mined in Neolithic Britain and traded across europe. If you really get into it you can have a go at copying tools from some of the stone age culture (clovis), fantastic that people are into this sort of stuff, keeps traditions alive.

Simon
"With staff in hand, the hunter stood on Radholme's dewy lawn" The Hunters Song (Olde Lancashire Poem) by Richard Parkinson.

muntries

#13 Post by muntries » Wed Nov 18, 2009 3:12 pm

Hi Toby, not sure about WA but in Victoria its illegal to disturb or remove stone tool or tool factory sites.
"With staff in hand, the hunter stood on Radholme's dewy lawn" The Hunters Song (Olde Lancashire Poem) by Richard Parkinson.