Brass Rods

Blades. Knife-making, Flintknapping, sharpening broadheads, etc. A showcase for the talents of Cutlery and Artillery Artisans, and a place to sell and source wares, as well as materials, vendors etc.

Moderator: Moderators

DylanK

Brass Rods

#1 Post by DylanK » Thu Jul 02, 2009 12:10 pm

Where do you buy brass rods from? Checked a few hardwares and they dont have any, would bunnings?

Cheers

Dylan

trikegeoff

Re: Brass Rods

#2 Post by trikegeoff » Thu Jul 02, 2009 12:32 pm

hi dylank
i had alot of trouble trying to get some brass rods for handle pins and also some flat brass to make bolsters etc.
the only place i could get it was at a local flea market. i had to pay for it tho, im sure the seller knew it is hard to get.
if i go there on the weekend and he has some there ill buy it and sell it via the trade blanket at what it cost me.
i do know that bunnings dont have it and are not interested in getting it in.
maybe try an engineering shop.

clinton miller

#3 Post by clinton miller » Thu Jul 02, 2009 12:46 pm

try a machining shop. what diameter and length are you after? sometimes they have lengths of round bar in various sizes.
The degree of satisfaction gained from the accomplishment of a goal is directly proportional to the hardships and challenges overcome in order to achieve it.

border black douglas recurve 70# & 58# HEX6-H BB2 limbs
brigalow selfbow with rawhide string

GrahameA

#4 Post by GrahameA » Thu Jul 02, 2009 12:52 pm

Since you live in Brisbane - George Weston's and they will do small pieces. They stock all non-ferrous metals.
Grahame.
Shoot a Selfbow, embrace Wood Arrows, discover Vintage, be a Trendsetter.

"Unfortunately, the equating of simplicity with truth doesn't often work in real life. It doesn't often work in science, either." Dr Len Fisher.

woodie

#5 Post by woodie » Thu Jul 02, 2009 2:20 pm

for handle pins you could try braising rod, you hay have to take the flux off and give it a polish. you should be able to get it from a pluming supplier, or bunnings bay have it.
woodie
may your arrows fly straight and true and your limbs return.

clinton miller

#6 Post by clinton miller » Thu Jul 02, 2009 2:47 pm

does it have to be brass? i'm assuming you need something for limb locating pins. how about stainless steel bolts. 6mm bolts 100mm long should yield what you want. bunnings would have them.

just a thought.
The degree of satisfaction gained from the accomplishment of a goal is directly proportional to the hardships and challenges overcome in order to achieve it.

DylanK

#7 Post by DylanK » Thu Jul 02, 2009 2:59 pm

Thanks for all the info. It is for knife handle pins and I dont really want stainless. I like how brass looks, expecially when combined with a nice wood handle.

I have gone to markets but havn't found any as of yet. Thanks for the link Grahame, I'll use that shop as a last resort though, as it is fairly far from where I live. I will try the braising rod as that seems the easiest to obtain.

Dylan

clinton miller

#8 Post by clinton miller » Thu Jul 02, 2009 3:47 pm

if it is just for knife handles then yeah, brazing rod is what you'll want.

ichiban

#9 Post by ichiban » Thu Jul 02, 2009 5:04 pm

some modeling stores have that sort of thing
Im gonna make it bend and break-Fall Out Boy

jindydiver

#10 Post by jindydiver » Thu Jul 02, 2009 8:53 pm

I buy my brass rod at the local hobby shop, you know the sort of place that sells remote controled cars and the like. They have it in all sorts of sizes both metric and imperial. A good tip is to work out what size drill you need and then buy rod that is about 5 thou smaller. When you drill your hole (say a 3mm) you will find that the rod the same size will be very hard to get in some woods.

For instance, a 1/8th rod is .125inches so you use a 3.5mm drill (.137"). There are charts you can find on the internet to help you, also the drill bits sold at bunnings have mm marked on the imperial bits.
If you use the same size drill as rod the tight fit means that you don't have much in the way of epoxy in there. I also put the pins in my hand drill and turn it on while holding the rod in a piece of 100 grit sandpaper to give the epoxy something to bite into.
Mick

Nearly all men can stand adversity, but if you want to test a man's character, give him power.

Abraham Lincoln

Mike-dy

#11 Post by Mike-dy » Thu Jul 02, 2009 9:04 pm

What Jindy said, haven't been in a hobby shop yet that didn't have the rack of brass rods etc.

Mike