Storing Knives

Blades. Knife-making, Flintknapping, sharpening broadheads, etc. A showcase for the talents of Cutlery and Artillery Artisans, and a place to sell and source wares, as well as materials, vendors etc.

Moderator: Moderators

DylanK

Storing Knives

#1 Post by DylanK » Tue Jun 23, 2009 7:54 pm

Im not sure if this has been covered or not, but how are you ment to store carbon steel knives? I was thinking of oiling the leather sheath up real good on the inside, then oiling the blade and storing in the sheath? May be? May be not?

So how do you go about it?

Dylan

M.Hogan

Re: Storing Knives

#2 Post by M.Hogan » Tue Jun 23, 2009 7:57 pm

With my forged knives I oil them (I've known people to even use cooking oil) then I wrap them it a cloth that is a bit moist with oil in the middle...I don't like storing oiled blades in their leather shealth.]]
But any way thats what I do... :)

gundy

#3 Post by gundy » Tue Jun 23, 2009 8:01 pm

I simply oil them with 'rust free' or similar product and when in storage, store out of the sheath!

jindydiver

#4 Post by jindydiver » Tue Jun 23, 2009 8:34 pm

Unless your sheath is vegetable tanned you shouldn't store your knife in it. The standard chromium tan for leather will rust a carbon knife pretty quickly in humid weather.
Mick

Nearly all men can stand adversity, but if you want to test a man's character, give him power.

Abraham Lincoln

DylanK

#5 Post by DylanK » Wed Jun 24, 2009 11:07 am

Well that seems simple enough. Is that black epoxy stuff that some knives are coated with available to us? Seems like that would help a fair bit. Oh and another question has come to mind; where do you store your knives? Im guessing in a plastic box of somesort?

Dylan

Steven J

#6 Post by Steven J » Wed Jun 24, 2009 10:37 pm

I store all of my knives in their sheaths - Always. The sheath is for protecting the knife and the user. Most of my sheaths are heavily waxed or oiled and as this rubs of on the blade helps to prevent some corrosion, although on its own it protects only in patches. I generally wipe the blade over with a furniture wax if I know that it will get use in the next foreseeable future. If I plan to leave it longer, I wipe it down with Lanotec - a lanoline based grease suitable for use in food processing machinery. This is really sticky stuff.

Steve
http://www.stevenjawerth.weebly.com

On Christ the solid rock I stand, All other ground is sinking sand. Edward Mote, 1797-1874