Forging Help

Blades. Knife-making, Flintknapping, sharpening broadheads, etc. A showcase for the talents of Cutlery and Artillery Artisans, and a place to sell and source wares, as well as materials, vendors etc.

Moderator: Moderators

pdccr

Forging Help

#1 Post by pdccr » Thu Jun 18, 2009 8:13 pm

Hey guys,

I have recently been inspired to get started in the making of some metal gear. I have been cruising the net for a few hours looking at some of the websites and youtube for and have seen some great ideas.

Most of these have come from RR spikes and with the recent posts that tracker and kim made i have been wanting to try some. I basically need help with the construction of my forge and the types of projects i can do to start off. I have a good knowledge of metal work but never in forging.

If you have any info or previous projects please post them.

:D
Cheers, Toby

kimall

Re: Forging Help

#2 Post by kimall » Fri Jun 19, 2009 4:19 pm

Glad to be able to inspire. :shock:
It really depends on the type of work you want to do and how seriouse you want to get.You can make a forge out of some bricks and a fire and then if you want add a blower to it to take it to the next level and with this you can do some simple forging if you have a hammer and a bit of railway track to hit on.Then you can go onto a forge built from a brake drum and a blower and use coal and this will be better again or you can start down the gas road straight away.This is the way I went after reading about the negs. of the coal type forges(maintenance during burning) and I like that I can just ligh the "Little Dragon" and within minutes I can be bending and shaping.This however has the neg side that if you get something wrong you can blow yourself and or others up and you may die.I work with gas every day as part of my job so was confident I could avoid this.I also like that if heat treating I can just light it for a little while do the knife and turn it off again with no fuss and there is no waste products(except some of the knives I make)unlike the coal forge that has leftovers all the time.With all the options I have mentioned there is SOOOOOOOO much stuff on the net and dont forget utube also heaps on there with some l good intructional vids.I am always keen to help if I can so just ask.
Cheers KIM

pdccr

#3 Post by pdccr » Fri Jun 19, 2009 5:41 pm

OK thanks for the help,

I dont think i would go straight to a gas forge, i really dont like the idea of getting myself burnt, i would rather put the effort into keeping the coal forge lit then go through some really bad burns or possibly death. I basically want to make the usually types of things that i can use around the farm, the odd tool, knives, axes, pickaxes, shovels and etc. I just need to find some little projects to start with and a brake drum.
Cheers, Toby

janmad

#4 Post by janmad » Fri Jun 19, 2009 8:37 pm

Hi

I'm also looking at starting with some metal work, and have found a few good sites mainly on gas forges, here is a good site on how to make a gas forge

http://www.arscives.com/bladesign/forge.tutorial.htm

Also check your local TAFE they sometimes run basic Blacksmithing courses, beside that there is a lot of good info on the web
good luck Jan

DylanK

#5 Post by DylanK » Sat Jun 20, 2009 4:02 pm

The gas forge I built is as simple as a hose connected to my gas cylinder (8kg) with a jet stuck in some pipe with holes in it. Light the end and away you go, just make sure the flame isnt too near the cylinder or hose. My biggest concern was when I turn the gas off, the flame would be sucked back into the cylinder blowing myself up, but I recieved some reasurance that this wont happen.

I have had no prior experience working with gas before this. Maybe I am just lucky, but seems to work good and is quick, cheap and clean.

Dylan

pdccr

#6 Post by pdccr » Sat Jun 20, 2009 4:20 pm

I would love to use a gas one, but the coals are accessible and safer for me. It also makes it feel more trad for me somehow haha :D I think i am going to start off with the RR spike knife or axe. Something simple.
Cheers, Toby