Forging Arrowheads

Blades. Knife-making, Flintknapping, sharpening broadheads, etc. A showcase for the talents of Cutlery and Artillery Artisans, and a place to sell and source wares, as well as materials, vendors etc.

Moderator: Moderators

pdccr

Forging Arrowheads

#1 Post by pdccr » Wed Jun 17, 2009 10:26 am

Has anyone tried forging their own arrow heads? I looked at some youtube vids and it looks interesting.
Cheers, Toby

tracker

Re: Forging Arrowheads

#2 Post by tracker » Wed Jun 17, 2009 10:48 am

After my little experiment with forging last weekend I've been watching lots of video and reading heaps and one of the areas I've been looking at is arrowsmithing. Great minds think alike matey! :mrgreen:

Making the sockets looks to be the tricky bit but with the right little drifts I think you could turn them out very well.

I saw some cast ones once somewhere online that looked like they had been flaked and I was thinking you could get a similar look by peening the whole head.

Too many ideas and not enough time of course down here.

How'd you reckon something like this would go on a bunny?

"One has been a bad spectator of life if one has not also seen the hand that in a considerate fashion - kills." Nietzsche.

pdccr

#3 Post by pdccr » Wed Jun 17, 2009 3:15 pm

I agree with making the sockets would be hard as how would you know the sizes for the shafts. I am watching some good vids on youtube and trying to get a nice little coal forge going, Whats the best design and easy to use that you have tried?
Cheers, Toby

kimall

#4 Post by kimall » Wed Jun 17, 2009 5:19 pm

Yer I went down the forged arrow head some time ago and just found it too hard to get the hole for the shaft true enough.The other thing to consider is that you can buy a good aussie made head for a few bucks and it will cost you more to do it yourself.Also unless you make them in Damascus(MMMM) they will just look like a rough bought one anyway.Dont shoot me down there as I am one of the (Just cause I want to) gang as well but the quality was not up to what I wanted.I have been thinking about it again a bit latley and think the way to go whould be to not have a hole but have a flattened shaft like a screwdriver that you could put into a split in the shaft and then haft over it.Bugger now I will have to have a go at that(like I need another project). :?
Cheers KIM
PS The ones I have seen made by others have always been huge things more like spear heads.

M.Hogan

#5 Post by M.Hogan » Wed Jun 17, 2009 6:09 pm

I forge my own rabbit blunts

Haven't taken a rabbit with one though
I drill a hole and glue on sharft

Have a look at this other fourm (its not forging but on the same topic)
http://www.aussiebowhunter.com/showthread.php?t=10268
Attachments
P6170139.JPG
P6170139.JPG (29.89 KiB) Viewed 1575 times

pdccr

#6 Post by pdccr » Wed Jun 17, 2009 6:42 pm

Yeah, i was also thinking along the lines of kimalls post of a tie on slash glue on, like the ones in the second bowyers bible.
Cheers, Toby