Pein- hamering in the pins

Blades. Knife-making, Flintknapping, sharpening broadheads, etc. A showcase for the talents of Cutlery and Artillery Artisans, and a place to sell and source wares, as well as materials, vendors etc.

Moderator: Moderators

stringnstik

Pein- hamering in the pins

#1 Post by stringnstik » Mon Jun 15, 2009 10:38 am

OK I have looked in vein for a clip or a note on how to hammer the handle pins. I know its just a matter of laying the handle on an anvil and tapping the top side with a (rounded hammer head) thus flattening out. I think a slightly (countersunk) hole in the wood helps.Im just concerned that in all this hamering the wood handle may get bruised.. I feel Im missin a procedure howto.

Like how close do you cut the pin? Is it flush with the handle? or a little protruding?

any links or hints grateful.
"I am the arrow..the arrow is me...together as one...I fly to thee"
"the stick maybe crooked and the string hath no form,
then married by bowyer, transforms when first drawn"
"twang....thud"

otis.drum

Re: Pein- hamering in the pins

#2 Post by otis.drum » Mon Jun 15, 2009 10:55 am

what wood are you using for the handle. what metal for the pins (brass)? you have to be careful not to split the wood. someone on here will give you a more educated idea of what to do than i will but for me i make the pin about 2mm longer (1mm each side) or even less. if you countersink the hole you will need slightly more to fill it. if you want the pin to look flat and clean do not use a centre punch. just a hammer or flat piece of metal hit with a hammer will expand the pin enough.

as i said someone else will give you a better idea i'm sure, but this is what i have done and it has worked for me.
...otis...

stringnstik

#3 Post by stringnstik » Mon Jun 15, 2009 11:23 am

thanks otis.
the Pins are a welding rod of some sort, I just grabbed one that fitted. I made a mistake early on and over drilled the tang so its slightly more than the normal welding rod 3.2mm 1/8 or whatever it was.
The handle is wood only vic ash but I stained it a gorgeous green/blue so i wont be happy if i wreck it.
I had troubles shaping too because everything I have seen they just glue,pin then sand the wood back to the tang. But I, in my creative sillyness had decorated the tang edge so I couldnt do that :) No matter how careful I was I couldnt perfectly edge the wood to the tang with them separated....Then I glued and clamped and of course..i can hear you snigger, the glue oozed out (even tho I was expecting this and put no glue near the edge) and onto the tang. Now I had a handle clamped in such a way that I couldnt get at it to wipe the excess glue off....ohh well its all good fun. Wont know how bad it looks till i get home tonight and remove the clamp.
"twang....thud"

Trad Bound

#4 Post by Trad Bound » Mon Jun 15, 2009 7:08 pm

Hi Mark
I glue the pins only, thats the way I've only ever read
TonyJ

stringnstik

#5 Post by stringnstik » Tue Jun 16, 2009 7:40 am

Thanks all. Managed to hammer without breaking the wood, made a few marks most of which sanded out. Not sure how much of a mushroom I got, the pins felt pretty hard under the hammer. Time will tell i guess.
No photos yet, its not finished :lol
"twang....thud"

otis.drum

#6 Post by otis.drum » Tue Jun 16, 2009 8:51 am

softer metals are better for pins as they expand better. they do not have to expand much to hold so don't over do them.

looking forward to seeing some pics
...otis...

stringnstik

#7 Post by stringnstik » Wed Jun 17, 2009 7:01 pm

ok Im getting it. As you know the reason for this knife was to learn some b4 attempting the knife kit the wife bought for me. I wasnt super happy with the tester peinning but it was time to move on . So I picked up the bolsters for the kit job and wielding the hammer I set too. At first I thought the pins were a tad too long but the instructions did not say to trim and I always do what Im told:) Sure enough after copious amounts of peening there was no way it was going to "disapear into the metal" like the instructions said. So I very carefully started to grind then file then sand the little mushrooms back......BLOW ME AWAY!! I swear you cant see the pins.

Yeah alright itll move on me first time i cut a tree down with it and the pins will no doubt show thru but I must admit I was pretty amazed.. Cant see a little circle at all.

Photos soon, im working on the handle now.
The trial knife is done I decided not to waste any more time on it. Photos very soon.

its freezing out there!!! i need to install a furnace :lol
"twang....thud"

kimall

#8 Post by kimall » Wed Jun 17, 2009 9:04 pm

Forge your blades mate it keeps you warm. 8) I love seeing so many getting into making knives.
Cheers KIM

nimrod

#9 Post by nimrod » Thu Jun 18, 2009 2:36 am

mate if you visit british blades forum i think there is a link there showing this will have a look later and try to get back here cheers

MrsStringnstik

#10 Post by MrsStringnstik » Thu Jun 18, 2009 9:07 am

stringnstik wrote:..... and I always do what Im told:) ....

HA!! :roll: I'd like to know in response to whom!?!? :lol:
"There will of course be no mention of the rumour that Mrs stringnstik shot better than I did." Stringnstik!!