stabalised handle material

Blades. Knife-making, Flintknapping, sharpening broadheads, etc. A showcase for the talents of Cutlery and Artillery Artisans, and a place to sell and source wares, as well as materials, vendors etc.

Moderator: Moderators

trikegeoff

stabalised handle material

#1 Post by trikegeoff » Mon May 18, 2009 9:21 am

hello
i was wondering if anybody could help me?
i am new to knife construction and have made a few knives already, some from kits some from junk i have found and some from old files. on these knives i have used wood antler bone and even a broomstick for handles.
my question is what is stabalised wood and stabalised bone. i have read knife construction build-a-longs and many of them mention these stabalised products but do not actully say wot it is or the process to get them to that stage.
any info would be greatly appreciated
geoff

p.s. Big thanks to mattd who posted pics of "my ride" in the photography section under the banner "whats your ride"

longbow steve

Re: stabalised handle material

#2 Post by longbow steve » Mon May 18, 2009 9:38 am

Hi Trikegeoff, I suppose the stabilisation of bone antler and horn would refer to seasoning of the product. Bone requires treatment before carving but I would have to refer to my bone carving book to recall what it was :) .
Antler is quite porous and once dry I know some fill the pores with glue then re sand.
I am also interested in the best way to use horn antler and bone, thanks for bringing up the topic. Steve

Coach

#3 Post by Coach » Mon May 18, 2009 9:57 am

Stabilised handle products are usually impregnated with resin in a vacuum chamber set up . This process makes them less prone to warping .

Steven J

#4 Post by Steven J » Mon May 18, 2009 3:22 pm

Also makes the timber waterproof. If you sand carefully then buff with a cotton wheel and some polishing compound, you will not have to oil or treat the handle to get a nice shine. The stabilising leaves you with timber that works somewhere between timber and plastic.

Steve
http://www.stevenjawerth.weebly.com

On Christ the solid rock I stand, All other ground is sinking sand. Edward Mote, 1797-1874

trikegeoff

#5 Post by trikegeoff » Mon May 18, 2009 8:39 pm

thanks guys ur answers r most informative. does anybody do this in there home workshop

Stewart Townsend

#6 Post by Stewart Townsend » Mon May 18, 2009 9:40 pm

There might be one guy in Australia (I know about) trying it.

I have been told that a lot of Australian wood is dense and it might be a problem to get the compound into the wood, but I have not worried with it.
Stewart Townsend
Australian Knifemakers Guild

Knives I have made
http://s154.photobucket.com/albums/s276 ... os/Knives/