damascus blades from Rahjistan - picture heavy

Blades. Knife-making, Flintknapping, sharpening broadheads, etc. A showcase for the talents of Cutlery and Artillery Artisans, and a place to sell and source wares, as well as materials, vendors etc.

Moderator: Moderators

jape

damascus blades from Rahjistan - picture heavy

#1 Post by jape » Mon Apr 27, 2009 8:55 am

Unless in fantasy novels like Lord of the Rings, we have little concept of the passing of time and skills and memes in our society. No longer do we feel settled in the Land and part of it as our ancestors did, the sense of living and working in a place that becomes timeless over generations. I believe that in part is why many of us have a hankering for the past, the traditions and sometimes the philosophies. It doesn't matter really that what we create or recreate is not perfect in athenticity, it matters only that it connects to something in us and satisfies or fulfils it.

So I am not being condescending when I say that I recognise the immortality in a simple object and have a true awe for those who have worked for generation upon generation, maybe for a thousand years or more in a craft. The people who make these blades are too often seen as back-street primitives, natives plying a trade for the tourist dollar or making toys for us to display. But they are not. They live and work in places that are less remote from their past, using the same tools, materials and skills as their line of artisans, masters, have done for centuries. These blades are the ones that were blooded across a continent and against many foes since time began and have served their makers and the tribes to which they belong both for utility and for war. That isn't romantic, it is real.

I am sure they have adapted styles and methods and I am sure they would like a few Aussie dollars to flow their way, that doesn't alter the solid veracity of the goods they make.

Below are just a few of the pictures they have sent me this morning that I thought some of you would appreciate. When I see some displayed on blankets like this, it takes me to a timeless place, a dusty market or bazaaar, spice smells, a bag of coins ... and the reason a blade was worn.
1.JPG
1.JPG (48.6 KiB) Viewed 3248 times
2.JPG
2.JPG (39.34 KiB) Viewed 3248 times
3.JPG
3.JPG (47.62 KiB) Viewed 3250 times
5.JPG
5.JPG (23.21 KiB) Viewed 3250 times
13.JPG
13.JPG (34.15 KiB) Viewed 3246 times
Attachments
4.JPG
4.JPG (32.73 KiB) Viewed 3247 times

jape

Re: damascus blades from Rahjistan - picture heavy

#2 Post by jape » Mon Apr 27, 2009 9:04 am

- and some un-hafted blades in different styles:
6.JPG
6.JPG (30.94 KiB) Viewed 3234 times
7.JPG
7.JPG (23.71 KiB) Viewed 3234 times
8.JPG
8.JPG (32.13 KiB) Viewed 3232 times
9.JPG
9.JPG (39.4 KiB) Viewed 3231 times
and finally
10.JPG
10.JPG (22.57 KiB) Viewed 3231 times
11.JPG
11.JPG (28 KiB) Viewed 3232 times
12.JPG
12.JPG (37.27 KiB) Viewed 3232 times

jape

#3 Post by jape » Mon Apr 27, 2009 9:16 am

I had to add this one, it is my favourite picture, plain damascus daggers with many different handle workings, these are not mass produced! I love the way they are bundled into newspaper like fish and chips used to be; I can imagine a shifty bloke in crusader times, out the back of the pub: " 'ere mate, quick, have a gander at these, just come in at the docks ..."
Attachments
fav.JPG
fav.JPG (48.23 KiB) Viewed 3224 times

pdccr

#4 Post by pdccr » Mon Apr 27, 2009 10:16 am

They are amazing, i would love to get some with a simple sheath and be able to throw them.
Cheers, Toby

stringnstik

#5 Post by stringnstik » Mon Apr 27, 2009 10:51 am

Jape!! stop it!!!
Im already in enough trouble with knives and wives as it is.Stop luring me down these dark pathways. You know darn well I love damascus blades.

BTW I have a surprise coming to here soon.
As your wonderful intro above so pictured.. and Ill add......There is something about grinding at steel and watching the sparks fly thats almost as alluring as scraping away at a bow. And thats all Im going to say for now :)
"I am the arrow..the arrow is me...together as one...I fly to thee"
"the stick maybe crooked and the string hath no form,
then married by bowyer, transforms when first drawn"
"twang....thud"

nimrod

#6 Post by nimrod » Mon Apr 27, 2009 6:59 pm

mate some nice pics there :) some rather elequent words as well have you looked on british blades forum lately they have some rather nice home made damascus as well have just got an anvil a wee while ago am still trying to sort out a forge by the end of the year .
making some leather straps today most will be sent to kabul and kandahar but some will be spare do you want a couple ? :lol: cheers hugh

Coach

#7 Post by Coach » Mon Apr 27, 2009 7:29 pm

pdccr wrote:They are amazing, i would love to get some with a simple sheath and be able to throw them.
Why would you want to throw them ??

pdccr

#8 Post by pdccr » Mon Apr 27, 2009 8:03 pm

I have always wanted a cool throwing knife, they are probably the nicest and simplest blades i have seen for a while.
Cheers, Toby

jape

#9 Post by jape » Mon Apr 27, 2009 9:32 pm

nimrod wrote:mate some nice pics there :) some rather elequent words as well have you looked on british blades forum lately they have some rather nice home made damascus as well have just got an anvil a wee while ago am still trying to sort out a forge by the end of the year .
making some leather straps today most will be sent to kabul and kandahar but some will be spare do you want a couple ? :lol: cheers hugh
Thanks Hugh, I found these guys when browsing around for arrowheads, they do them also. I should imagine there is some nice work available in the 'stan as well, under the right circumstances! I haven't been on the British blade forum for ages, will have a look around soon, thanks for the heads-up. Dialup is so crap at present, very slow-loading.
I did my back in first time running an anvil across ploughed fields for bets when young and stupid! Glad you have found one, they are getting expensive and rare here, never see them at the Farm Sales anymore so I use a bit of railway line if I have to bash anything. I used (half) a truck split-rim with a car heater fan through a ceramic nozzle for a tuyere when I did a bit of forge work.
I hope you got my PM of thanks before, the leather was brilliant, always welcome! Send me your postal addie please mate.

Toby, the quickest easy thrower is heavy-duty industrial hacksaw blade, you can pick it up for nowt from any workshop, grind it to shape, re-temper if you get it too hot (grind slowly) and balance it easily with a binding which gives a grip too. The best stuff I found for that is the old fashioned impregnated cloth insulation tape if you can find it, wound on more at the front to find the balance you want, it is sticky to the fingers but not on your clothes! You can experiment with them and then move on to fancier stuff. Illegal in some states without an AKC membership but check that out for yourself.

jape

#10 Post by jape » Mon Apr 27, 2009 9:39 pm

stringnstik wrote:Jape!! stop it!!!
Im already in enough trouble with knives and wives as it is.Stop luring me down these dark pathways. You know darn well I love damascus blades.

BTW I have a surprise coming to here soon.
As your wonderful intro above so pictured.. and Ill add......There is something about grinding at steel and watching the sparks fly thats almost as alluring as scraping away at a bow. And thats all Im going to say for now :)
Ha! Can't help, sorry, I am a blade tragic myself. Only Mr. Visa stops me. But one of those damascus daggers with a pretty stone handle, or a silver inlaid pesh kabz, might convert Mrs SnS if you gave her one ....? (Knife.)

Stop teasing and show us your metal. (Couldn't resist that pun, sorry). We gonna call you sparky from now on?

nimrod

#11 Post by nimrod » Mon Apr 27, 2009 9:51 pm

mate if you want I will send some curing salts and a receipe for the straps the anvil was got from the guy next door who lived in an old smithy he wouldnt sell before but he,s off to stay in NZ now its a 2.5cwt farriers late 30s you would have died laughing at us trying to move the thing cheers

jape

#12 Post by jape » Mon Apr 27, 2009 10:04 pm

nimrod wrote:mate if you want I will send some curing salts and a receipe for the straps cheers
Please do! Always handy to know how to make my own strapping :lol:

My old anvil was only 1.5 cwt, you will be able to turn ploughshares into swords on yours!

Don't forget your address or P.O mate if that is more secure.

pdccr

#13 Post by pdccr » Tue Apr 28, 2009 8:15 am

Ok thanks jape, im sure i can find a few around.
Cheers, Toby