blade chuckin'

Blades. Knife-making, Flintknapping, sharpening broadheads, etc. A showcase for the talents of Cutlery and Artillery Artisans, and a place to sell and source wares, as well as materials, vendors etc.

Moderator: Moderators

Buford

blade chuckin'

#1 Post by Buford » Sat Jan 10, 2004 8:57 pm

i was watching ESPN the other day and it had some guys throwing blades and axes over distances upto 60 ft! so naturally i gave it a go and all i achieved was destroyng a perfectly good spanish blade skinning knife! :cry:

i didn't hear any details of what kind of knives to use or techniques involved, so i was just wonderin' if anyone out there is into knife/ axe throwing?

cheers
buford
Stupid TV! Be more funny!

RICKO

#2 Post by RICKO » Sun Jan 11, 2004 10:47 am

I would think that these knives etc would have to be balanced for throwing
don't really think a normal skinnning knife will turn the correct way, could be wrong tho. :D ,so buford dont use any more of your good knives.

Mr_X

#3 Post by Mr_X » Mon Jan 12, 2004 6:42 am

I'm all talk when it comes to this but as long as you can find the balance of the knife (or object) you are throwing, you can use it. It's all about figuring out how many times the knife will turn before hitting its target so you have to be really good with your distances.

Ofcourse there are specific knives and axes for throwing which makes things easier.

I like blowguns too.

Buford

#4 Post by Buford » Mon Jan 12, 2004 8:56 am

so how do i figure out how many times it will turn between me and the target? trial and error?
:? :shock:

Mr_X

#5 Post by Mr_X » Mon Jan 12, 2004 11:15 am

Yep, trial and error and maybe some maths. It takes a REAL LONG TIME to get good at throwing knives.

You can always throw "shaken" (throwing stars) if you can't be arsed with knives. They're much easier but they still take skill to hit the right spot.

And for a lesson in History, throwing stars were used more as a distraction and not as an offensive weapon. Due to clothing and armour they were targeted at weak areas such as the throat, eyes and face. So you really did have to practice heaps to be able to use them effectively.

Depending on size and weight, the average effective range was rarely over 15+ metres (unlike what they show in movies).

Tuffcity

#6 Post by Tuffcity » Mon Jan 12, 2004 1:05 pm

That which doesn't kill me better run for cover...

Buford

#7 Post by Buford » Mon Jan 12, 2004 4:25 pm

thanks gents, have checked out those links. seems to be you need a great percentage of the weight towards the blade end of the knife. (which would explain the skinning knife's failure).

where can you get this sort of knife/ axe in australia?

cheers
buford

Mr_X

#8 Post by Mr_X » Mon Jan 12, 2004 5:12 pm

I know that martial arts stores stock them. Well they did last time I went but that was over 3 years ago!

JensenEliteBlades

#9 Post by JensenEliteBlades » Wed Feb 04, 2004 10:18 pm

Hi wrx, where abouts are you from??

I may be able to hold of a pair of cheap throwing knives or an axe if you are interested. they wont last forever but you can have some fun with them, and if you enjoy it most custom makers could make them for you.

shoot me an email if you like

Belinda

Jensen Elite Blades

Buford

#10 Post by Buford » Sat Feb 14, 2004 11:58 am

belinda,

thanks for my new toy, have been out chuckin' it round at those very dangerous native critters we have in Australia...... trees i think they're called :D .
but it's ok, i done killed those pesky buggers and the forrests around coffs are now safe again!!

seriously, (shut up erron!) it is actually quite easy to get the hang of. i have already figured out my optimum distances from target.

cheers
buford

JensenEliteBlades

#11 Post by JensenEliteBlades » Sat Feb 14, 2004 12:36 pm

glad to hear you are having fun while making the world a safer place in which to live......
you have our eternal gratitude.
Bel and Peter