melbourn knife show

Blades. Knife-making, Flintknapping, sharpening broadheads, etc. A showcase for the talents of Cutlery and Artillery Artisans, and a place to sell and source wares, as well as materials, vendors etc.

Moderator: Moderators

trikegeoff

melbourn knife show

#1 Post by trikegeoff » Sun Apr 19, 2009 7:12 pm

hello all
im only new to this site and very new to knife making. i have made a few knives from gear lying around the house and the yard, the first was a purchased blank that i fitted a handle too and the second was a file that i annealed shaped and fitted a handle too (broom stick) and then hardned using a makshift forge in my parrents back yard. they look crap but i have learnt alot by making them.
i wanted to go down to the knife show in melbourne, but as i live in sydney i would like to hear from you guys as to wether or not it is worth it. i have searched the net to the best of my ability and have not been able to find anything about this show or shows from the past. this did not fill me with alot of confidence in the show. i hope im wrong.
can anyone tell me what goes on there, will i learne anything, can i buy parts there. if anyone can tell me about this or any show i would be very appreciative.

thanks for your time
trikegeoff

gundy

Re: melbourn knife show

#2 Post by gundy » Sun Apr 19, 2009 7:18 pm

Gday mate and welcome to the site.

It is usually a great show. here is a link to the Aussie Knife Makers Guild, of which support/run this event with many fine members attending every year.

http://www.akg.org.au/

...and a direct link to the show.

http://www.akg.org.au/content/blogcategory/13/29/

Coach

#3 Post by Coach » Sun Apr 19, 2009 7:45 pm

A dedicated knife forum might be the place to ask this question mate .
Here is an Aussie one that might be able to help http://www.laventrix.com/index.php

Trad Bound

#4 Post by Trad Bound » Tue Apr 21, 2009 7:33 pm

I've been once, might go again StringStik wants to go. Good stuff I live 35 Kms away I WOULD NOT be travelling too far for it. Nice gear, bloody expensive. Blakey from up Donald way had his throwing axes there when I went . I should have got one of those next time I see him i will get one. it is not a big show it takes up a small conference room.
Cheers Tonyj

gundy

#5 Post by gundy » Tue Apr 21, 2009 7:56 pm

Ill be there on the Saturday...

Its the 10 year wedding anniversary, so well be in Melbourne - pretty good planning hey.... :twisted:

Stewart Townsend

#6 Post by Stewart Townsend » Tue Apr 21, 2009 8:36 pm

trikegeoff wrote: i wanted to go down to the knife show in melbourne, but as i live in sydney i would like to hear from you guys as to wether or not it is worth it.
If you want to learn to make knives, go there Saturday and Sunday.
a few things
1. The knives will blow your mind and you will think you will never make ones as good.
2. Early can be busy
3. The makers will talk to you but bearing in mind they are trying to sell there knives, if someone is there who might be buying one, excuse yourself and wait for them and talk again, they are quite free with their info at the right time.
trikegeoff wrote: , will i learne anything, can i buy parts there.
Yes, a lot, bring a pen. Sometimes you might have steel, micarta and wood for sale.

I will not be there, went to Canberra this year, Melbourne again next year.
Stewart Townsend
Australian Knifemakers Guild

Knives I have made
http://s154.photobucket.com/albums/s276 ... os/Knives/

trikegeoff

#7 Post by trikegeoff » Wed Apr 22, 2009 4:13 pm

thank you for your feedback it has been very helpfull. does anyone know of any other knife shows that mite be around sydney or nsw?