sharp at last - accusharp in fact!

Blades. Knife-making, Flintknapping, sharpening broadheads, etc. A showcase for the talents of Cutlery and Artillery Artisans, and a place to sell and source wares, as well as materials, vendors etc.

Moderator: Moderators

jape

sharp at last - accusharp in fact!

#1 Post by jape » Thu Mar 19, 2009 3:32 pm

I received this morning an 'Accusharp' knife and tool sharpener from John at Amso 128. Thank you John! John has a solution for any bow or equipment problem.

Just a few days ago I was whinging that I cannot get a decent edge on my tools, well, now I have no excuses. :lol:

It works! It is 'V' groove tungsten-carbide sharpener that strips metal quickly from your blade or broadhead until it evens out to a consistent angle with a sharp edge. No need to press as hard as you may imagine, light pressure works best otherwise you can strip too much off or roll and blunt your good work. It may take a few draws along a blade at first as it re-cuts it to the correct angle, then just the very lightest pressure sparkles it up. That is the trick. Simple and effective with reversible sharpeners it should last years. A good tool for all to carry into the bush, keep amongst your arrows and also to fix up the kitchen knives. Very suitable for 'dummies' like me! :oops:
sharp.JPG
sharp.JPG (10.95 KiB) Viewed 2496 times
I now have all my badly treated broad heads re-sharpened, a couple of utility knives ready just in case I actually get something to skin one day, and a kitchen drawer full of knives that will slice tomatoes (my criterion).

The edge is not shaving sharp, but it will cut newspaper under its own weight which is sharp indeed, and I now have a pile of tomato slices for tea! I am content.

Mick Smith

Re: sharp at last - accusharp in fact!

#2 Post by Mick Smith » Thu Mar 19, 2009 4:48 pm

Good to hear mate. :wink: It sounds a bit like the little sharpener that I have.

Mick
There is no use focusing on aiming if you don't execute the shot well enough to hit what your are aiming at.

pdccr

#3 Post by pdccr » Thu Mar 19, 2009 5:30 pm

The only way i ever know a knife is sharp is when its too late :x :lol:
Cheers, Toby

otis.drum

#4 Post by otis.drum » Thu Mar 19, 2009 7:20 pm

pdccr, it's normally the oppersite.

it's ussually the blunt knife that cuts.
...otis...

Nephew

#5 Post by Nephew » Sat Mar 21, 2009 12:54 pm

Jape, could you put up a pic of the tool itself please Bud? Thanks. I'm wondering if it's the same thing they have on King Of Knives. If so, then KoK is bloody expensive!
Lately, if life were treating me any better, I'd be suspicious of it's motives!

jape

#6 Post by jape » Sat Mar 21, 2009 2:21 pm

Moreton wrote:Jape, could you put up a pic of the tool itself please Bud? Thanks. I'm wondering if it's the same thing they have on King Of Knives. If so, then KoK is bloody expensive!

- your wish is my command :lol: - this is the one available from John, Amso 128,
Accusharp brand, good quality tungsten carbide. Some knive and blade edges will actually quickly cut and wear the sharpeners on cheap ones, not on this one!
sharp 001.jpg
sharp 001.jpg (149.74 KiB) Viewed 2372 times

Nephew

#7 Post by Nephew » Sun Mar 22, 2009 2:50 pm

Yep! That'll do me! :D KoK are asking a crazy price compared to John! Of course. :roll:

jape

#8 Post by jape » Sun Mar 22, 2009 4:29 pm

Hi Craig, you shouldn't need one of these with the stone and diamond set you got a few weeks ago? If you do get one as a field backup, get it from John (add it to the bloody great parcel you have accumulated in few day :lol: ) and just remember what I learned from this, light strokes do the best sharpening if the angle is right and hard strokes can actually blunt your edge and shave too much metal off.

The first sharpener I got elsewhere was similar but a different brand, I hadn't realised they could be so different in quality. The V blades on it were nicked and cut after just a few strokes over BHs and knives and it is now worthless as they score/groove the edges. With a bit of practise at concentrating on holding it square as I pull it I managed to sharpen every blade I have (quite a few) in less than an hour! I have gone from dummy to competent by having the correct tool.

Nephew

#9 Post by Nephew » Sun Mar 22, 2009 10:03 pm

mate, the diamond sharpener is just great, and the stone, but I'm blowed if I can use them on a three blade, y'know? I can get it sharp, but not humanely sharp. :wink:

Nephew

#10 Post by Nephew » Wed Mar 25, 2009 7:01 pm

Ok, mine turned up today and they are just the ticket for three blade broadheads. I've used it on Wensel Woodsmans and they sharpened up lovely! Bit of a finish on the Jewell Stick and they are scary-sharp! Does anyone else have methods to sharpen three blade heads?

jindydiver

#11 Post by jindydiver » Wed Mar 25, 2009 7:42 pm

A word of warning on those carbide sharpeners.
DO NOT use them on your good stainless hunting knives. The carbides in some grades of stainless (and D2) are relatively large and the carbide sharpeners pull them away and ruin your edge. If you keep working to get it smooth you will soon find you have ruined a good knife.
They work a treat on simple carbon steels (like broadheads).
Mick

Nearly all men can stand adversity, but if you want to test a man's character, give him power.

Abraham Lincoln

Nephew

#12 Post by Nephew » Wed Mar 25, 2009 8:22 pm

Ah-ha! Thanks Mick, that's the sort of thing you can only know with experience, Good onya.