calling all knappers.

Blades. Knife-making, Flintknapping, sharpening broadheads, etc. A showcase for the talents of Cutlery and Artillery Artisans, and a place to sell and source wares, as well as materials, vendors etc.

Moderator: Moderators

clinton miller

calling all knappers.

#1 Post by clinton miller » Thu Mar 12, 2009 2:57 am

could anyone make a point like this from texas chert?? got to be able to handle buffulo ribs. :) design suggestions welcome

The degree of satisfaction gained from the accomplishment of a goal is directly proportional to the hardships and challenges overcome in order to achieve it.

border black douglas recurve 70# & 58# HEX6-H BB2 limbs
brigalow selfbow with rawhide string

Nephew

Re: calling all knappers.

#2 Post by Nephew » Fri Mar 13, 2009 8:49 am

As you can see, old mate, not a lot of knappers here. Shame that, I'd love to learn it. I'm told maybe it's because we have no natural flint?
Lately, if life were treating me any better, I'd be suspicious of it's motives!

jape

#3 Post by jape » Fri Mar 13, 2009 11:15 am

I have had a go like some others on here but not with much success. Wasted a big lump of Obsidian recently. PM to Yeoman, he's advises on such stuff, certainly knows how to do it and is/was an archeological student I think with plenty of practical knowledge in most areas..

There were a few amerindian type and flintknapper web sites you can buy them from at hunting quality in flint, about $US 7 when I was looking a few months back if you poke around on Google. Or some of the guys on Primitive Archer and Primitive Ways or PaleoPlanet forums make them, trade them and maybe sell them.

clinton miller

#4 Post by clinton miller » Fri Mar 13, 2009 11:16 am

you can knapp basalt. i don't know if the stuff where the chital are is any good?
The degree of satisfaction gained from the accomplishment of a goal is directly proportional to the hardships and challenges overcome in order to achieve it.

border black douglas recurve 70# & 58# HEX6-H BB2 limbs
brigalow selfbow with rawhide string

Nephew

#5 Post by Nephew » Sun Mar 15, 2009 4:49 pm

Come to think of it, Kimall had done a bit of Knapping. Maybe P.M.him? They say toilet ceramic is bloody good to practise on. Check your local dump.

otis.drum

#6 Post by otis.drum » Sun Mar 15, 2009 7:20 pm

Come to think of it, Kimall had done a bit of Knapping. Maybe P.M.him? They say toilet ceramic is bloody good to practise on. Check your local dump.
..or your local plumbing joint for some clean, new, broken toilet tanks. rather than the likes of the ones at the dump. that may have been 'dumped on' a few times... :mrgreen:
...otis...

Coach

#7 Post by Coach » Sun Mar 15, 2009 7:22 pm

Moreton wrote:Come to think of it, Kimall had done a bit of Knapping. Maybe P.M.him? They say toilet ceramic is bloody good to practise on. Check your local dump.
Sorry ,,, Just cracked me up :D :lol: :lol: I;ll leave now 8)

kimall

#8 Post by kimall » Sun Mar 15, 2009 7:40 pm

In my experience with the material that the toilet cisterns are made from now it is not worth the trouble.I worked in a plumbing supply shop so had heaps to choose from but it is all very grainy now and even if you do get a good looking edge it is not anywhere near sharp enough for me to hunt with.I would try to get some nice thick slabs of glass and use that to learn on but I had best results by getting on the trad sites and finding someone that will make you some. :wink:
Just for fun and to help with the learning process google "Beerbottle to arrowhead" and use the directions there.
Cheers KIM

Nephew

#9 Post by Nephew » Mon Mar 16, 2009 6:02 pm

Coach wrote:
Moreton wrote:Come to think of it, Kimall had done a bit of Knapping. Maybe P.M.him? They say toilet ceramic is bloody good to practise on. Check your local dump.

I wondered if anyone would get it. Trust you! :wink: :lol:

Coach

#10 Post by Coach » Mon Mar 16, 2009 6:31 pm

Moreton wrote:
Coach wrote:

I wondered if anyone would get it. Trust you! :wink: :lol:
Yeah , well ,,, maybe I just have a sense of humour , even if it is in the toilet :roll: