rainy daze

Blades. Knife-making, Flintknapping, sharpening broadheads, etc. A showcase for the talents of Cutlery and Artillery Artisans, and a place to sell and source wares, as well as materials, vendors etc.

Moderator: Moderators

gary p

rainy daze

#1 Post by gary p » Mon Feb 02, 2009 7:00 am

hi ,i got a little bored while on holidays just before christmas ,it was too hot for a ride on my motorbike ,had no one to go hunting with, tides were wrong for fishing so i headed to my shed.i had a couple of projects in mind first was a knife . it didnt take long about 2 hours i used a circular sawblade and a deer antler ,i was happy with the outcome .this knife i gave to one of my soninlaws to be ,he thought it was the best chrissy present he ever got. this still left me without a knife so the otherday i made another one, this one has osage handle the blade is a cold saw blade ,very hard steel it doesnt need to be heat treated .it is shaving sharp straight of the linisher, the other project i had on the drawing board was a long bow but i,l post that on a different category :D gaz.
Attachments
P1000617.JPG
P1000617.JPG (24.12 KiB) Viewed 2002 times
P1000569.JPG
P1000569.JPG (37.78 KiB) Viewed 2002 times
One crowed hour of glorious life
is worth an age without a name.

otis.drum

Re: rainy daze

#2 Post by otis.drum » Mon Feb 02, 2009 8:54 am

they look great mate,

i had a go at a couple from a circular saw blade in november which was easy to work with and kept its edge very well. however, not being stainless it did form a fair bit of surface rust. i'm not sure if that was helped by the humidity (constant 97%) in weipa or just because it wasn't stainless.

has anyone else had these troubles?

i was thinking of heating it and dunking it in linseed oil or some other oil but i'm not sure if (1) it will help stop the rusting, or (2) it will effect the temper of the steel.

any knowledge, experience or comments would be great.

otis
...otis...

gary p

#3 Post by gary p » Mon Feb 02, 2009 2:27 pm

hi yes the rust is a problem i make sure i oil the blade before when not in use,gaz.

Gringa Bows

#4 Post by Gringa Bows » Mon Feb 02, 2009 3:09 pm

the knives look good gary,so when is the longbow goin to be finished......Rod

pdccr

#5 Post by pdccr » Mon Feb 02, 2009 3:36 pm

Those are some great knives mate!
Cheers, Toby

gary p

#6 Post by gary p » Mon Feb 02, 2009 3:37 pm

hi the bow is finished but i have taken it to my brothers workshop to spray it its too windy and wet. he,ll spray it in his spray booth. its handy having a french polisher for a brother :) .soon as i have it back i,ll post pics, gaz.

Gringa Bows

#7 Post by Gringa Bows » Mon Feb 02, 2009 4:33 pm

lookin forward to seeing the picies .............Rod