Im getting a new Knife. Any ideas?

Blades. Knife-making, Flintknapping, sharpening broadheads, etc. A showcase for the talents of Cutlery and Artillery Artisans, and a place to sell and source wares, as well as materials, vendors etc.

Moderator: Moderators

hillbilly WA

Im getting a new Knife. Any ideas?

#1 Post by hillbilly WA » Fri Dec 26, 2008 8:06 pm

Hi guys
Merry Christmas, hope you all had a good one!
Well, im looking at going hunting in the next couple of months with my mate Vaughn (Hills Twinky) and i was thinking, as my knives im making aren't that sharp :oops: , i should get a nice knife that i can do skinning and prep. tasks and camp chores with. I will only be shooting small game; rabbits, feral cat, and fox.
Me and the Vaughn are making a knife with a pre-bought blade which is a good shape for a boner and chopper (fixed blade), so i have that organised.
I was wondering what folder would you guys recommend for me for doing skinning and other camp chores/tasks? Or would you reccommend using, and taking, another smaller fixed blade? I would like something a bit traditional looking (don't go for the tactical look as much) but i would not want to risk practicality for looks. Also, as i don't have much money it would have to be less than $130. Any ideas?
Thanks guys,
Carl
I did have a signature... It was a very good one in fact... It made me laugh... But i lost it... So i dont have one anymore.

nimrod

Re: Im getting a new Knife. Any ideas?

#2 Post by nimrod » Fri Dec 26, 2008 8:16 pm

mate cant really help as all ive owned have been made by gerber but if you google british blades forum you will find a site that covers not just custom knives but has a good section on folders hope you find something cheers hugh

jape

#3 Post by jape » Fri Dec 26, 2008 8:26 pm

have a look through these, I am sure you will find one you like at a good price:

http://www.knivesaustralia.com.au/super ... tml#Ka-Bar

kerrille

#4 Post by kerrille » Fri Dec 26, 2008 9:30 pm

mate you cant go past cold steel check out their web site they have a good range from exspensive down to cheap and their cheap knives are very good.

...nev...
i hunt animals because they have legs and can run away ................plants dont

jape

#5 Post by jape » Sat Dec 27, 2008 8:11 am

there are a couple of Cold Steel Voyagers on that same page

kerrille

#6 Post by kerrille » Sat Dec 27, 2008 8:46 am

also look at all terrain gear and look in their knives section . ive delt with these guys a number of times now and their postal service is very good i for one would recomend them.

...nev...
i hunt animals because they have legs and can run away ................plants dont

Mick Smith

#7 Post by Mick Smith » Sat Dec 27, 2008 11:16 am

Carl

I like some of the Buck range of folding knives. The are very strongly built and they hold a good edge for ages. Some people say they're hard to sharpen, but I've never had any problems. My Buck folders have wooden scales and they look fairly 'traditional'. I don't like the current, flavour of the month, black plastic 'tactical' knives either.

Whatever type of folding knife you buy, make sure it has a locking blade. The last thing you want when your cleaning an animal in the field is to have the blade fold closed on your fingers.

I like to carry a smallish folder on my belt, which I use for most jobs. I usually also carry a small sheath knife (a Puma 'Hunter's Pal) in my pack for those very odd occasions when I'm successful and need to do some serious skinning and cleaning. I never feel completely safe when I'm carrying a razor sharp sheath knife on my belt.

I don't usually advise people to buy products from overseas suppliers, but I've found there are huge savings to be made by doing so. I bought my last few knives directly from the States for about half the price of what they would have been if bought here in this country.

Mick
There is no use focusing on aiming if you don't execute the shot well enough to hit what your are aiming at.

Stewart Townsend

#8 Post by Stewart Townsend » Sat Dec 27, 2008 11:51 am

If you could find one either a
Wenger New Ranger 57,67,58 But I do not who stocks them.

http://www.wenger.ch/scripts/Modules/Pr ... =3&idn=139

I ended up getting a Victorinox Jumpmaster and an olive Hunter
http://www.swissknifeheadquarters.com/product/53846-V
http://www.swissknifeheadquarters.com/product/53641

One of those would be under $130. Liner lock and could do every thing you described.

If you had a bit more $$$$ (like I wished I had)
a Puma Jagdtaschenmesser (especially an older one) would be good to.
http://www.pumaknives.de/dispitemgroup_en.php?g_nr=8 (the 4 blade one )
Stewart Townsend
Australian Knifemakers Guild

Knives I have made
http://s154.photobucket.com/albums/s276 ... os/Knives/

gundy

#9 Post by gundy » Sat Dec 27, 2008 7:31 pm

Carl,

I have a mint/unused small Kabar in 1095 with leather handle I am selling - under your budget. Although it appears you want a folder?

I would go for any of the recommendations above mate. All good for a hunter.

Here is the Kabar if you want to know more...
Attachments
MVC-016y6y8S.JPG
MVC-016y6y8S.JPG (30.63 KiB) Viewed 2684 times