First Knife

Blades. Knife-making, Flintknapping, sharpening broadheads, etc. A showcase for the talents of Cutlery and Artillery Artisans, and a place to sell and source wares, as well as materials, vendors etc.

Moderator: Moderators

hillbilly WA

First Knife

#1 Post by hillbilly WA » Sat Dec 13, 2008 6:03 pm

Hi Guys
I have been looking at the knives on this forum for quite a while, wanting to make my own. Problem is, it all looked really difficult and there were too many things i didn't know how to do. Well, after reading lots of tutorials and things on the internet, i decided i was pretty much ready and when Vaughn (Hills Twinky) phoned me up and told me he'd made one, i thought i could try one. So Vaughn made his merry way to our shed and we worked on two knives together. Here's mine. I really struggled with the grind, and re-did it and almost got it right the second time, so any tips on grinding with a belt/bench sander will be much appreciated.
Also, the sheath's not quite ready yet, the leather still has to be glued and bound by wire.

Thanks guys, Carl
I did have a signature... It was a very good one in fact... It made me laugh... But i lost it... So i dont have one anymore.

Hills Twinky

Re: First Knife

#2 Post by Hills Twinky » Sun Dec 14, 2008 2:00 am

Really Nice knife Carlos! not a bad job for a couple of newbies hey!
Love the scabbard man, you will have to teach me how you did it! Great on man.... keep us posted if you are making and more and if you get any more saw blades.

Vaughn
If A is success in life, then A equals x plus y plus z. Work is x; y is play; and z is keeping your mouth shut.
Albert Einstein

Gringa Bows

#3 Post by Gringa Bows » Sun Dec 14, 2008 7:55 am

that's not a bad job for your first attempt,what timber is in the handle,keep makin them you can only get better at it..............Rod

hillbilly WA

#4 Post by hillbilly WA » Sun Dec 14, 2008 11:23 am

Thanks guys, the timber in the handle is Jarrah, however when it was stained it went much darker and didn't really come out that well. It is not quite as dark as in the pic.
Yeah Vaughn, i am looking for some more saw blades, gonna check any mills in the area.
Carl
I did have a signature... It was a very good one in fact... It made me laugh... But i lost it... So i dont have one anymore.