woodworking tools

Blades. Knife-making, Flintknapping, sharpening broadheads, etc. A showcase for the talents of Cutlery and Artillery Artisans, and a place to sell and source wares, as well as materials, vendors etc.

Moderator: Moderators

jape

woodworking tools

#1 Post by jape » Sat Nov 01, 2008 1:37 pm

http://www.woodsmithstore.co.uk/shop/Products/Tools/

Yes, I know it is in UK but if you like tools, especially if you work green, it is worth a look just for the pleasure of seeing old drawknives, billhooks and axes and more including some I hadn't seen available for years. Reasonably priced too but the shipping weight would probably do in any ideas of getting one or two!

If anyone knows of a source in Aus. of similar tools I would like to know. I have never seen a decent billhook in Aus. but for some jobs nothing touches them, better than a machete or hand-axe.

GrahameA

Re: woodworking tools

#2 Post by GrahameA » Sun Nov 02, 2008 6:43 am

Morning Jape
jape wrote:... If anyone knows of a source in Aus. of similar tools I would like to know ...
Make forge - plenty of plans on internet.
Male Charcoal - use dead trees.
Car leaf spring - start hammering.
Save Oil from Car to quench finished product.

:D
Grahame.
Shoot a Selfbow, embrace Wood Arrows, discover Vintage, be a Trendsetter.

"Unfortunately, the equating of simplicity with truth doesn't often work in real life. It doesn't often work in science, either." Dr Len Fisher.

jape

#3 Post by jape » Sun Nov 02, 2008 7:03 am

Thanks Grahame! The days are long gone since I could use a heavy hammer on an anvil. I once forged a sword from truck leaf springs though - looked like somethings the Orcs in LOR would have used rather than a 'gentleman's eviscerator'. I swapped it for a six-pack one very hot day if I remember rightly.

Have you ever used a bill-hook? The double-edged hook is still the best trashing and trimming tool ever devised. I did a year or two of hazel hedge-laying in wales many moons ago on a farm and got to love that tool. I have had machetes and all sorts of things since and never found one that fit the hand so well and just did the job.

The draw-knives looked good but you can get similar here, same with the axes. Blacksmith made tools are always the best if they are not based in a back alley in Beijing! I was glad to see some UK blacksmiths still making a living and that there is enough of a market to support them. And where else could you still purchase a froe or an adze?

GrahameA

#4 Post by GrahameA » Sun Nov 02, 2008 7:19 am

Morning Roland
jape wrote:The days are long gone since I could use a heavy hammer on an anvil.
Try a barter arrangement with a smith.
jape wrote:Have you ever used a bill-hook?
No,
jape wrote:Blacksmith made tools are always the best if they are not based in a back alley in Beijing!
Back-alley tools are very good - it is the mass produced factory ones that you need to look out for.
jape wrote:And where else could you still purchase a froe or an adze?
Carbatec, Tool Exchange or a friend.
Grahame.
Shoot a Selfbow, embrace Wood Arrows, discover Vintage, be a Trendsetter.

"Unfortunately, the equating of simplicity with truth doesn't often work in real life. It doesn't often work in science, either." Dr Len Fisher.