Spanish blade

Blades. Knife-making, Flintknapping, sharpening broadheads, etc. A showcase for the talents of Cutlery and Artillery Artisans, and a place to sell and source wares, as well as materials, vendors etc.

Moderator: Moderators

Sewer Rat

Spanish blade

#1 Post by Sewer Rat » Mon Dec 15, 2003 12:16 am

Someone had posted a pic and website for a spanish blade... bowie type with a machete end and double edge on the machete end.... now I cant find it....

was I dreaming??

Want to say it was a spanish montenegro military blade or something like that.....

Do any of youse guyz use blades on pigs??
Toodle Pip, Ta Ta, Old Chap

Sewer Rat

#2 Post by Sewer Rat » Tue Apr 05, 2005 5:18 pm

HAW!!

took me over a year, but I finally found it..... now to save up for it...
Attachments
aitorchuchillo.jpg
aitorchuchillo.jpg (51.44 KiB) Viewed 5230 times
Toodle Pip, Ta Ta, Old Chap

stace

#3 Post by stace » Tue Apr 05, 2005 5:49 pm

Jeez Rat
Your gunna cut yourself or something precious with that thing aye

All I can say is the stories we hear over here about the gator's in the sewers must be right ,take care
Stace

try hard to make bow

#4 Post by try hard to make bow » Mon Dec 31, 2007 9:49 pm

i have exackly the same i brought from china and it has made in spain on it aitor but mine is an aitor negro
~Aaron~

ive got there

the irish one

in stock?

#5 Post by the irish one » Tue Jan 01, 2008 11:47 am

Last time I was there the boys at alcocks in melbourne had the negro's in stock may be worth giving them a call :wink:

aroadik

spanish blade

#6 Post by aroadik » Tue Jan 01, 2008 11:56 am

I know this has nothing to do with this thread, but can someone tell me a bit about the U.S.M.C. KA-BAR knife, I have one and it is in original condition with original scabard ??? it is not a practical hunting knife- but I like it... what is it worth ? thanks regards Peter.

Stewart Townsend

#7 Post by Stewart Townsend » Tue Jan 01, 2008 10:43 pm

The K-Bar, origionally made out of 1095 steel.
There have been a number of factories have made them for the USMC.
Designed WW2.
It's a fighting knife.

Google it and you would find more information you will ever need to know about it.

Price? Who knows, Chesty Puller's K-Bar would be worth a mint, my well used one a lot less than $100.

TomW

#8 Post by TomW » Sat Jan 12, 2008 6:49 pm

Sewer Rat

I located your knife plus a number of similar looking others on E Bay today. Prices weren't all that bad. Perhaps you should look them up.

Type in Bowie Knife in All Categories and you'll see these plus hundreds of other knives:
Attachments
knife 5.jpg
knife 5.jpg (5.68 KiB) Viewed 4868 times
knife 4.jpg
knife 4.jpg (5.14 KiB) Viewed 4869 times
knife 3.jpg
knife 3.jpg (6.8 KiB) Viewed 4869 times
knife 2.jpg
knife 2.jpg (4.3 KiB) Viewed 4869 times
Knife 1.jpg
Knife 1.jpg (7.09 KiB) Viewed 4869 times
"You want me to do WHAT???"
Lord Cardigan's reply when told by Lord Lucan to charge the Russian guns with the Light Brigade.

Nephew

#9 Post by Nephew » Sat Jan 12, 2008 8:02 pm

Isn't the one second from last one you made, Tom? Either that or you made one very similar...bloody nice knife as I remember! I recall thinking at the time "What's he gonna use THAT on, tyrannosaurus??" :wink: :lol:
Lately, if life were treating me any better, I'd be suspicious of it's motives!

TomW

#10 Post by TomW » Sat Jan 12, 2008 10:38 pm

Moreton

No mate. Mine is totally different:
Attachments
My Knife 004.jpg
My Knife 004.jpg (8.79 KiB) Viewed 4829 times
Lord Cardigan's reply when told by Lord Lucan to charge the Russian guns with the Light Brigade.

Nephew

#11 Post by Nephew » Sun Jan 13, 2008 10:23 am

Ah yeah, so it is. I just kinda vaguely remembered seeing it. Crikey Tom, that's a KILLER of a Bowie!
Anyway, how'd it go in the end, Sewr Rat? Did you end up finding the model you were after?
Lately, if life were treating me any better, I'd be suspicious of it's motives!

Jaydo

#12 Post by Jaydo » Sun Jan 13, 2008 3:56 pm

hmm they are big, and happy looking alright :shock:

although do you really think there is a need for such a big knife seeing that a smaller more practicable knife could be used,
A smile is priceless, yet can make so much difference

Coach

#13 Post by Coach » Sun Jan 13, 2008 4:46 pm

Jaydo17 wrote:
although do you really think there is a need for such a big knife seeing that a smaller more practicable knife could be used,
I agree , from a hunters point of view :wink:

The only uses for the ones above would be , chopping a pigs jaw out , chopping someones head off,cutting firewood or making chops out of a beast which I use a Meat Cleaver for :wink: :D

Jaydo

#14 Post by Jaydo » Sun Jan 13, 2008 5:11 pm

yeah, the designed feature of a tool makes it easier to use, that's why it was designed that way :lol:

but chopping wood with a bowie knife would take for ever, and undoubtedly destroy the knife, i remember reading somewhere here that a few of the members here carry a hatchet or a tomahawk when they are out in the field,
surely that would be a more versatile tool, providing more options and could be used for other things if the situation occurs,

i guess what i mean is, unless your counting on your knife to be your last line of defence, what would be the driving force of carrying a knife that big ?

TomW

#15 Post by TomW » Sun Jan 13, 2008 7:15 pm

I can't answer for anyone else but my bowie is as big as the machete I used to carry when I was in the Army. When in the field you can use a big knife to cut saplings to make hootchie frames, to clear away smaller undergrowth, clear fire lanes, chop up kindling, chop through the water vines on rainforest trees to get a drink, etc and if you keep it really sharp you can use it to skin caught animals and chop them up for cooking. The boss on the hilt of my Bowie is really heavy and is designed to act as a hammer if the need arises.

As I said earlier a big knife, well made, can do pretty well everything a small knife can do plus retain all of the advantages of a big knife. I made mine out of a sense of nostalgia, since I am not fit enough for anything adventurous these days.

And don't go all Feudian on me - as the man himself said "Sometimes, Madame, a cigar is nothing more than a good smoke" and that's how I view knives (and guns). :D

The photo gives a better idea of the real size of the knife - and an excuse for anyone so inclinied to have a further go at me about it. Not that I mind, OK? :D :D
Attachments
Bowie Reference 1.jpg
Bowie Reference 1.jpg (18.87 KiB) Viewed 4775 times

Jaydo

#16 Post by Jaydo » Sun Jan 13, 2008 7:32 pm

thats a beatiful knife Tom,

i wasnt having a dig, up until a few months ago i would have said a small knife was no where near as good as a larger knife, but in my experience my smaller knife has done me better service than my bowie,

just going off what i found,
everyone is different aye :D

Coach

#17 Post by Coach » Sun Jan 13, 2008 7:40 pm

but chopping wood with a bowie knife would take for ever, and undoubtedly destroy the knife
If made properly it wouldnt :wink:

Jaydo

#18 Post by Jaydo » Sun Jan 13, 2008 7:41 pm

yeah i agree coach but how many comerically made knives are properly made these days ?

i bought one years back tried cutting something and it snapped,

i think its either custom or my own made ones from now on :D