Ideas for a new knife?

Blades. Knife-making, Flintknapping, sharpening broadheads, etc. A showcase for the talents of Cutlery and Artillery Artisans, and a place to sell and source wares, as well as materials, vendors etc.

Moderator: Moderators

hillbilly WA

Ideas for a new knife?

#1 Post by hillbilly WA » Thu Oct 30, 2008 2:43 pm

Hi guys, I'm turning 18 next year, and looking at doing quite a bit of hunting, and i want a nice knife which i can get which i can keep till im old, sort of as a special knife. I don't want to go cheap, i want one which will work well and stay keen. I was thinking probably just a fixed blade, but folding is good also, something thats got quite a heft to it which i can use as just a general-use knife for all tasks. So, im just wondering if you guys know any knives which are really trustworthy which will work for me for a long time. What knives have served you well?

Thanks guys, Carl
I did have a signature... It was a very good one in fact... It made me laugh... But i lost it... So i dont have one anymore.

Mick Smith

Re: Ideas for a new knife?

#2 Post by Mick Smith » Thu Oct 30, 2008 3:38 pm

Howdy Carl

Love the new avatar. :wink:

I've owned and used Puma 'Hunter's Pal' knives for many years. The Hunter's Pal is a very useful knife. It has a great general purpose blade shape that can do just about anything and it's just the right size, not too big and not too small. They hold a good edge and they will last a lifetime. The only reason why I've owned more than one is because my first one was stolen. :)

There's plenty of other good knives around too. I own a few 'Buck' knives which I think are quality, excellent value for money knives.

Mick
There is no use focusing on aiming if you don't execute the shot well enough to hit what your are aiming at.

Jaydo

#3 Post by Jaydo » Thu Oct 30, 2008 5:11 pm

You want a great custom made knife,

talk to coach, ive got one and it'll last for ever if you take care of it
he makes some awesome knives,

failing that i'd say a buck knife
A smile is priceless, yet can make so much difference

nimrod

#4 Post by nimrod » Thu Oct 30, 2008 7:27 pm

mate just got a new gerber fixed blade have had a few over the years only ever had one puma it was very good
Attachments
DSCF0003.JPGg1.jpg
DSCF0003.JPGg1.jpg (104.17 KiB) Viewed 2043 times
DSCF0002.JPGg3.jpg
DSCF0002.JPGg3.jpg (129.58 KiB) Viewed 2045 times
DSc0004.JPGg2.jpg
DSc0004.JPGg2.jpg (130.77 KiB) Viewed 2039 times

Steven J

#5 Post by Steven J » Thu Oct 30, 2008 9:04 pm

Check out http://www.ragweedforge.com

Purchase a good scandi blade and put the handle on yourself. There are loads of blades to choose from and the quality is A+. Buying a blade and making a handle is a very traditional thing to do for Scandinavian folk.

If you don't want to handle a blade, buy a knife. The price is cheap as you are purchasing a top notch blade with a purely functional handle. The knives have not changed in decades. My Dad has his knife from his childhood, and an identical knife can still be purchased. Can't improve on perfect.

A scandi knife is not sharpened with a secondary bevel and is either flat or convex ground. A flat grind is superior for carving and camp chores. A convex grind provides a stronger edge for jointing game.

Check out the scandi section at www.knifeforums.com

Steve
http://www.stevenjawerth.weebly.com

On Christ the solid rock I stand, All other ground is sinking sand. Edward Mote, 1797-1874

Stewart Townsend

#6 Post by Stewart Townsend » Thu Oct 30, 2008 10:47 pm

As Mick Smith intimated the Puma "Hunters Pal" gets a lot of good reports, however I do not think that the newer Puma's look as good.

Certainly as Jaydo said " You want a great custom made knife, " especially for a 18th birthday.

Have a look at the Australian Knifemakers Guild site
http://www.akg.org.au/
There are some good makers out in the West.

If you want to get a knife that is "special" a custom would be the go.
Stewart Townsend
Australian Knifemakers Guild

Knives I have made
http://s154.photobucket.com/albums/s276 ... os/Knives/