Khukuris or Goloks or Machete's

Blades. Knife-making, Flintknapping, sharpening broadheads, etc. A showcase for the talents of Cutlery and Artillery Artisans, and a place to sell and source wares, as well as materials, vendors etc.

Moderator: Moderators

Chuditch

Khukuris or Goloks or Machete's

#1 Post by Chuditch » Fri Apr 04, 2008 6:24 pm

I have a few Khukuris, Goloks or Machete's and was wondering other peoples thoughts about the use of bush knives and what they prefer. I have some great Khukuri that would be ok to use as a bush knife but they are just too damn pretty to use for chopping scrub or clearing.

I carry a martindale golok when which is I believe the best value for money chopper that I have found. Not too heavy and you can use it for finer work than just brush cutting.

What are other folk using?

jape

#2 Post by jape » Fri Apr 04, 2008 9:47 pm

Tried a few over the years in the bush, trimming and so on around camp and fire-wooding. I used a proper golok for ages, much like the Valiant but with a longer handle so you could adjust where you had the point of balance in use. It got 'borrowed' and never returned. :evil: It was reforged for better tempering by a blacksmith mate and because of the proper profile it never got stuck or bound. I haven't found anything better.

I find even the Martindales type you have 'bind' because of the flat profile but they 'boing' less and hurt less than many machetes in use and available commercially today! In the UK years ago I once had a real heavy 'profiled' machete which was brilliant but too heavy to heave around all day. Khukris are surprisingly heavy on the wrist as well when used a lot, maybe not so much if they are your 'native; blade as you would develop the right muscles from childhood. Give it a go Chuditch, all blades should be used.

Horses for courses, I reckon, never found a better all rounder than the golok but prefer to have a few tools with me these days, easy enough with a vehicle! I use an old locally handforged hatchet a lot that I picked up in a garage sale with a longer handle than usual and a heavy bowie a mate made as a camp knife. For a pocket blade I have a small tanto.

I also have a heavy medieval sword, carbon steel, which did fine in chopping plastic bottles up and small trees but I didn't dare risk it on anything thicker than a couple of inches! I shall keep that for if the French invade Australia then.

Chuditch

#3 Post by Chuditch » Sat Apr 05, 2008 12:12 am

Hey Jape, I agree the martindale does bind a bit with the edge grind it comes with from the factory. I mucked around with sharpening it to my own specs and found it worked a lot better. I only have one bush beater Khukuri from Khukuri House the rest are slimmer, longer 'fighting' versions from Himalayan Imports. I have a few 'survival' golok's from Valiant too, sharp as bejesus (ouch my finger :oops: ) and hard to knock as a cutter.

I actually carry the martindale and a Gransfors Bruks wildlife hatchet in the field. The Bruks hatchet is a bit expensive but really is the best hatchet I have come across, holds an edge on very tough mulga and acacia.

I'm partial to the odd swordy object too but only have one, a cutting sword from Hanwei, the 'Banshee'. It's inexpensive and a great fun chopper thats very tough but a bit conspicuous for me to carry around in the field. Not to mention it's a bit clumsy to carry with backpack and bow etc... Still, if the Zombies ever attack I will be ready for them I guess.
DjidiDjidi, Nullark Gullart Nyarrt.