Newey

Blades. Knife-making, Flintknapping, sharpening broadheads, etc. A showcase for the talents of Cutlery and Artillery Artisans, and a place to sell and source wares, as well as materials, vendors etc.

Moderator: Moderators

hardgainer

Newey

#1 Post by hardgainer » Wed Mar 05, 2008 5:10 pm

Picked up this great little 6" Bunny blade from Dennis Scantlebury at Lilydale Bowmen. Pro Bo blade steel cut off (66 Rockwell) Samba antler handle. What I thought was great was Dennis's leathercraft. The seam is perfect tight and even. Im no expert but I thought it was a pretty good job.

Nephew

#2 Post by Nephew » Thu Mar 06, 2008 10:38 am

Nice knife that, but your right, it's the sheath that really stands out!
Lately, if life were treating me any better, I'd be suspicious of it's motives!

hardgainer

#3 Post by hardgainer » Thu Mar 06, 2008 8:26 pm

Agree'd Moreton..He is working a neck knife and sheath which I will post when finished.

Nephew

#4 Post by Nephew » Sat Mar 08, 2008 1:01 am

Excellent Mate, I look forward to seeing it! Does he take orders for sheaths?

hardgainer

#5 Post by hardgainer » Sat Mar 08, 2008 7:44 am

I know he has won a few prizes for his knife and leather work at shows. I will ask him if he sells sheaths and let you know. I traded the 6" pictured for a old Recurve I had.

Nephew

#6 Post by Nephew » Sat Mar 08, 2008 7:48 am

Here's a couple I bought off Coach, mate-http://www.ozbow.net/phpbb2/viewtopic.php?t=5984 & http://www.ozbow.net/phpbb2/viewtopic.php?t=5944. he's new to it and I reckon he has a big future in knives.

Ok, when I posted this, only one of the addresses I cut & pasted turned out blue so you can click on it, at least from my perspective. Can anyone tell me why?

hardgainer

#7 Post by hardgainer » Sat Mar 08, 2008 9:08 am

Beautifull work. That sure is talent.

Nephew

#8 Post by Nephew » Sat Mar 08, 2008 9:21 am

My word, Hardgainer! Check out some of his other stuff on here. I reckon it's time he set up a website or something, show the world what he can do, y'know?

GrahameA

#9 Post by GrahameA » Sat Mar 08, 2008 9:36 am

Hi Craig
Moreton wrote:Here's a couple I bought off Coach, mate-http://www.ozbow.net/phpbb2/viewtopic.php?t=5984 & http://www.ozbow.net/phpbb2/viewtopic.php?t=5944. he's new to it and I reckon he has a big future in knives.

Ok, when I posted this, only one of the addresses I cut & pasted turned out blue so you can click on it, at least from my perspective. Can anyone tell me why?
Yep.

Because there was no space between the hypen and the h in the first url address. Thus it did recognise it as an url.

Have a look at the code in that post where I adjusted it for you. It is better to force the code rather than relying on the system to do it for you. :D

Why aren't you out fishing??? Or at least making arrows?
Grahame.
Shoot a Selfbow, embrace Wood Arrows, discover Vintage, be a Trendsetter.

"Unfortunately, the equating of simplicity with truth doesn't often work in real life. It doesn't often work in science, either." Dr Len Fisher.

Nephew

#10 Post by Nephew » Sat Mar 08, 2008 6:25 pm

Thanks Grahame. I hope to make a far better archer than I do a computer operator! mate, just waiting on some components and I'll be making some aluminiums... maybe this week. As for the fishing, mate I have to wait until I can talk Sharon into coming with me to take 'em off the line gut 'em & scale 'em...I'm bloody allergic to almost ANYTHING that lives in the ocean!! :cry:
While I've got you Grahame, mate remember that wax you gave me at centenary that day? Any chance you could post the recipe for that, please mate?

GrahameA

#11 Post by GrahameA » Sat Mar 08, 2008 6:56 pm

Hi Craig

That is a mixture of Bee's wax and Paraffin wax. Bee's wax alone suffers a bit in the hotter Queensland weather so I mix a bit of paraffin wax to raise the melt temperature. Normally I go for around 25% paraffin 75% Bee's wax.

If you need some more send me a pm. I am still using paraffin wax my wife purchased in 1972.
Grahame.
Shoot a Selfbow, embrace Wood Arrows, discover Vintage, be a Trendsetter.

"Unfortunately, the equating of simplicity with truth doesn't often work in real life. It doesn't often work in science, either." Dr Len Fisher.

jindydiver

#12 Post by jindydiver » Sat Mar 08, 2008 7:19 pm

Great looking blade :D
Mick

Nearly all men can stand adversity, but if you want to test a man's character, give him power.

Abraham Lincoln

Jaydo

#13 Post by Jaydo » Sat Mar 08, 2008 7:33 pm

its a great looking knife but i dont really like the small blades in comparison to a larger looking handle, still really well made, the sheath looks awsome.
A smile is priceless, yet can make so much difference

Nephew

#14 Post by Nephew » Sat Mar 08, 2008 7:38 pm

Thanks Grahame, wow! "72 and it's still fine? Keeps well, huh? I'd like to have a go at making some, but if I don't do any good you'll hear from me. How's things in general with you, Gra? Been shooting much? Gotta try to get you over here for a barbie one day soon, mate!

The shape of the blade on Hardgainers knife is kind of similar to the one in your avatar pic, isn't it, Mick? Except, (and this is a novice asking you, so please excuse mistakes) the pronounced choil(I hope that's the right word) on yours?

How've you been going, Jaydo? Up to much, matey?

Jaydo

#15 Post by Jaydo » Sat Mar 08, 2008 7:46 pm

G'day Moreton,

yeah we'll just take over this thread :D , ive just been working, loving this apprenticeship although it keeps me busy, havent had the chance to shoot much though, i saw your letter in bowhunter down under,

hows your shooting going, getting closer to your hunting bow ?

is that wax for the bowstring ?

jayden

Nephew

#16 Post by Nephew » Sat Mar 08, 2008 7:57 pm

I,ve never written to Bowhunting Downunder matey!! :D In fact, I've been having a hard time finding it this month, I've been to countless newsagents, but no good! May have to subscribe I think. Yeah, the wax is for the bowstring. It's really bloody good wax, too. Getting closer to that hunting bow mate, practicing every day! Been shooting barebow for the last six weeks or so, and I'm really starting to get it now.
Your right, we probably shouldn't highjack Hardgainers thread any further! :wink:
Last edited by Nephew on Sat Mar 08, 2008 8:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Jaydo

#17 Post by Jaydo » Sat Mar 08, 2008 8:01 pm

hey Jindydiver is that handle of your knife there black micarta ?

looks good, i reckon that knife would look better with that damascas style patern on the blade or even the patina sort of look, works with the black handles i reckon,

jindydiver

#18 Post by jindydiver » Mon Mar 10, 2008 6:26 am

Moreton wrote:
The shape of the blade on Hardgainers knife is kind of similar to the one in your avatar pic, isn't it, Mick? Except, (and this is a novice asking you, so please excuse mistakes) the pronounced choil(I hope that's the right word) on yours?

It certainly looks similar in intent, you could use them for the same things :)
Mine has a ricasso (un-beveled section of blade) that extends to make a guard of sorts. There are many ways of looking at it, but I am in the camp of the "all hunting knives need a guard" guys and think that fully beveled blades (sharp right to the rear edge) are for kitchen knives and not for the field.

Jaydo17 wrote:hey Jindydiver is that handle of your knife there black micarta ?

looks good, i reckon that knife would look better with that damascas style patern on the blade or even the patina sort of look, works with the black handles i reckon,
The handle is blue G10. I had a small supply of it and used it for some special knives. That knife in the avatar was given to John Tingle as part of an appreciation present from a bunch of us hunters when he retired from parliament.
Mick

Nearly all men can stand adversity, but if you want to test a man's character, give him power.

Abraham Lincoln

Jaydo

#19 Post by Jaydo » Mon Mar 10, 2008 9:35 am

Thanks Jindydiver,

yeah i was close :D , does look good though, i reckon wood looks better on a handle though,

how would you go about having a black blade ? ive always liked knives with dark blades and i was thinking about making one,

thanks for clearing it up.

jindydiver

#20 Post by jindydiver » Mon Mar 10, 2008 9:49 am

The G10 is good looking stuff

I have made some with black blades. I use a cold blueing solution from the G96 company. It only works on carbon blades though.
Mick

Abraham Lincoln

Jaydo

#21 Post by Jaydo » Mon Mar 10, 2008 10:56 am

it does look really good,

ive used the blueing method on other things ive made from metal, but does it work well with knifes, can it harm the temper in anyway ?

Nephew

#22 Post by Nephew » Mon Mar 10, 2008 11:37 am

Ah! Yes, I see the ricasso in that bigger pic, thanks Mick. Coach uses a very similar technique in the knives he has made for me so far.

jindydiver

#23 Post by jindydiver » Mon Mar 10, 2008 12:36 pm

Jaydo17 wrote:it does look really good,

ive used the blueing method on other things ive made from metal, but does it work well with knifes, can it harm the temper in anyway ?
Blueing is just controlled rust. In the blueing solution you have acid and a form of copper and together they form a rust on the blade that contains the copper and steel and that forms a sort of barrier to prevent water getting to the raw steel and causing rust. It can not hurt the blade. It does wear off a bit in use, just like blue wears on a rifle, but in a using blade it isn't an issue as your going to polish any rust of those wear areas as you use the blade anyway. You can always reapply the mixture and clean it up too.
Mick

Abraham Lincoln

Jaydo

#24 Post by Jaydo » Mon Mar 10, 2008 1:14 pm

thanks Jindy,

yeah, i understand how blueing works, but the method i used to blue, was completely different to what you used, i heated the steel till a blueish colour and then dunked it in old motor oil, i guess thats how i got confused and thought it may harm the steel,

cheers for clearing that up again

Jayden

jindydiver

#25 Post by jindydiver » Mon Mar 10, 2008 2:10 pm

If you heat your knife till it is blue you have buggered it :(
Mick

Abraham Lincoln

Coach

#26 Post by Coach » Mon Mar 10, 2008 3:11 pm

That looks like a nice little knife Hardgainer :)

You can also give a nice finish like this , by soaking some tissue paper in Vinegar and wrapping the blade in it for a few hours . It gives a sort of fake Damascus :)

Jaydo

#27 Post by Jaydo » Sat Mar 15, 2008 12:46 pm

yeah thats what i thought jindy, hence asking the question :D thanks for clearing that up though,

thats a patina finish isnt it coach ?

Coach

#28 Post by Coach » Sat Mar 15, 2008 4:22 pm

Yeah Jaydo , it is :D I did that to my knife after being slack one night after a BBQ . I had just left the knife sitting on the cutting board after preparing the food and it was rusted in the morning , so I thought bugger it , I'll go the whole hog . Now it takes a bit more punishment as far as rusting/staining goes :D

Jaydo

#29 Post by Jaydo » Sat Mar 15, 2008 7:55 pm

thanks coach, good to see i remembered what you said, looks good though, you still making knives havent seen any on the forums for a while, ?

hardgainer

#30 Post by hardgainer » Wed Mar 19, 2008 8:43 am

Some additional Dennis builds...My 4" neck knife.. Red Deer Antler on a HD hacksaw blade cutoff....and nice little skinner. But again I sure like the sheaths. Moreton he will do sheaths if required contact is (03)97271203.