Bread knife

Blades. Knife-making, Flintknapping, sharpening broadheads, etc. A showcase for the talents of Cutlery and Artillery Artisans, and a place to sell and source wares, as well as materials, vendors etc.

Moderator: Moderators

Gringa Bows

Bread knife

#1 Post by Gringa Bows » Thu Jan 17, 2008 9:26 pm

i got this knife off my daughters fatherinlaw it was made by his father from a cane knife for cutting bread 80 years ago.so i thought i would put a new handle on it the blade is 9 in. long and razor sharp.not pretty but keeping it because of age....rod

Glenn Newell

#2 Post by Glenn Newell » Thu Jan 17, 2008 9:34 pm

Rod the steel those old cane knives were made of was very very good, like the old hand saws, they use to be made what was referred to as black steel. They use to sharpen up to a wonderful edge and the old hand saws I have seen the end of the saw blade passed through the hole in the handle and would spring back to it original shape and no sign of being bent. Can't get steel of that quality these days...Glenn...

Gringa Bows

#3 Post by Gringa Bows » Thu Jan 17, 2008 10:02 pm

gidday Glen,i dont know how much cane or how much bread it cut but the blade is still straight after all this time so your so your right it must be good steel...........Rod

Glenn Newell

#4 Post by Glenn Newell » Thu Jan 17, 2008 10:25 pm

It's good steel no worries Rod. Many good knives have been made out of the old handsaws over the years. You can get a fantastic edge on that steel with just a file...Glenn...