New Damascus blade and Homemade Knife

Blades. Knife-making, Flintknapping, sharpening broadheads, etc. A showcase for the talents of Cutlery and Artillery Artisans, and a place to sell and source wares, as well as materials, vendors etc.

Moderator: Moderators

perry

New Damascus blade and Homemade Knife

#1 Post by perry » Tue Jan 15, 2008 7:06 pm

I made my first knife from a hand plane blade . I pinned and epoxied a goat horn handle with buffalo horn bolsters on . I roughed out the profile with a el cheapo bench grinder and the steel never heated more than I could hold in my hand .

I gained a new respect for those of you that polish your knife blades . I spent 3 hours over wet and dry sandpaper and didn't get all the scratches out . I ended up soaking the blade in vinegar overnight for a patena type finish .

The knife takes a very fine edge and I am happy with my first knife from scratch

I found the Damascus blade while looking around for knife blanks I followed links to a medievil supply mob called 'Esford " in Brisbane . I gambled after talking to the people and bought the knife for $55.00 . I know you usually get what you pay for but this is real Damascus that takes a good edge . The knife is 15 cm longoveral lhas bone scales and a brass bolster . I couldn't be happier - tremendous value for money .

regards Perry
Attachments
243.JPG
243.JPG (190.41 KiB) Viewed 2336 times
"To my deep morticication my father once said to me, 'You care for nothing but shooting, dogs and rat catching, and you will be a disgrace to yourself and all your family.' "

- Charles Darwin

Jaydo

#2 Post by Jaydo » Tue Jan 15, 2008 7:25 pm

anyone that has a go at knife making has my respect, its in my objectives to do, right up there with making my own bow,

i love the look of the knife you made there, you said this was your first attempt ?,

its very good,

keep up the good work

jaydo
A smile is priceless, yet can make so much difference

bsrecurve

#3 Post by bsrecurve » Tue Jan 15, 2008 8:37 pm

both look good mate - i just can't believe it took you so long to get into the knife making caper.

for those interested - i visited the shop the other day and ended up leaving with a damascus bowie knife - just couldn't resist, and i've always wanted a "big chopper" type knife. sorry - no pics as i don't have access to a digi camera at the moment - it is item # RL17 on the website.
a really interesting little shop....

http://www.esford.com

TomW

#4 Post by TomW » Tue Jan 15, 2008 10:03 pm

Lovely knives Perry. And yes, polishing is a real pain in the butt. :(
"You want me to do WHAT???"
Lord Cardigan's reply when told by Lord Lucan to charge the Russian guns with the Light Brigade.

Coach

#5 Post by Coach » Wed Jan 16, 2008 6:13 am

Well done , on both knives :)

Chase N. Nocks

#6 Post by Chase N. Nocks » Thu Mar 20, 2008 3:23 pm

Nice knives mate. Back hair needs another shave tho. :lol:

troy
I am an Archer. I am not a traditional archer, bowhunter, compound shooter or target archer.....I am an Archer
"Shooting the Stickbow"

....enforced by the "whistling grey-goose wing."
"The Witchery of Archery"

TEX

Re: New Damascus blade and Homemade Knife

#7 Post by TEX » Wed Aug 13, 2008 8:26 pm

Hey Perry
Great knives.
Reg Tex