Cable Damascus

Blades. Knife-making, Flintknapping, sharpening broadheads, etc. A showcase for the talents of Cutlery and Artillery Artisans, and a place to sell and source wares, as well as materials, vendors etc.

Moderator: Moderators

kimall

Cable Damascus

#1 Post by kimall » Fri Dec 28, 2007 7:11 pm

I got a bit motivated this morning and decided to see what I could do with a bit of steel cable I had in the shed and had a bit of fun with my forge.The first attemp came out just as I wanted but when I ground it to shape I could soon see that I had not worked it enough and it became a letter opener instead.Its hard to learn this sort of stuff from books and I leart heaps from my first try so gave it another go and this time really worked it well and I think it will become a knife tomorrow.I love the look of the rougher one but need more practise.The bottom one in the pic was the first attempt.
Cheers KIM

Glenn Newell

#2 Post by Glenn Newell » Fri Dec 28, 2007 7:25 pm

That rough one does look good Kim. Look forward to seeing what the second knife turns out like...Glenn...

Stickbow Hunter
Supporter
Supporter

#3 Post by Stickbow Hunter » Fri Dec 28, 2007 7:52 pm

Very interesting. I look forward to the progress.

Jeff

TomW

#4 Post by TomW » Sat Dec 29, 2007 7:06 am

Kim

I'm a bit puzzled. I thought the aim of making Damascus steel was to get a pattern into the steel. Your first attempt seems to have achieved that but I can't see any pattern in the second. Or does this have to be etched out to reveal it?
:?
Tom
"You want me to do WHAT???"
Lord Cardigan's reply when told by Lord Lucan to charge the Russian guns with the Light Brigade.

kimall

Yep

#5 Post by kimall » Sat Dec 29, 2007 7:49 am

Yes Tom if it is made right you dont see a patern until it is etched but I do like the look of the first but it was to cold I think so the metal did not weld propely and as you grind it in some places the strands come unstuck so to speak.It is my first time so a long way to go yet.
Cheers KIM

TomW

#6 Post by TomW » Sat Dec 29, 2007 8:04 am

Thanks Kim. As you can see I know very little about damascus steel except that I like it. You have my admiration for trying your hand at it. :D
Lord Cardigan's reply when told by Lord Lucan to charge the Russian guns with the Light Brigade.

kimall

#7 Post by kimall » Sun Dec 30, 2007 8:54 am

OK guys here is a bit of a update of the 2nd blade and it looks like it WILL become a knife.It has been heat treated and tempered and etched and you can see the lines nicely.
Cheers KIM

TomW

#8 Post by TomW » Sun Dec 30, 2007 9:46 am

Kim

That came up marvellously. :D

May I ask what you use to etch the blade with?

Stickbow Hunter
Supporter
Supporter

#9 Post by Stickbow Hunter » Sun Dec 30, 2007 11:54 am

Great news.! :D

Jeff

kimall

Etch

#10 Post by kimall » Sun Dec 30, 2007 3:14 pm

Yep Tom you may I used plan old white vinegar.
Cheers KIM

TomW

#11 Post by TomW » Sun Dec 30, 2007 3:51 pm

I'll be damned. Vinegar! :shock:
Logical I guess - it is an acid of sorts. :roll: :D

kimall

#12 Post by kimall » Sun Dec 30, 2007 5:19 pm

Tom the proper stuff is the stuff they etch circuit boards with but I love doing things home made and it is safer cheaper and just takes a little longer.It was in about 15 hrs and the other stuff will do it in a few minutes I have read.
Cheers KIM

TomW

#13 Post by TomW » Sun Dec 30, 2007 6:21 pm

Thanks Kim. It's a tip well worth remembering. :D

kimall

Finished

#14 Post by kimall » Mon Dec 31, 2007 12:24 pm

Ok this is the latest pic and it has an edge and seems to sharpen well and is a bit harder od tougher in the feel to sharpen than the L6 I normally use but I will keep this one for myself and give it a longterm test.
I dont think I will do a cable damascus next time prob just a normal pattern welded piece.
Cheers KIM

TomW

#15 Post by TomW » Tue Jan 01, 2008 11:34 am

That's a great job, Kim. It polished beautifully and I like the way you used the rear end of the tang as a pommel - it's both unusual and very handsome. :D

Glenn Newell

#16 Post by Glenn Newell » Tue Jan 01, 2008 6:02 pm

The knife turned out really good Kim, roo skinners use to weld a pommel on the end of their knife handles like you have done with yours. They used to make all of the cuts around the legs and body and then use the pommel to punch the carcass out of the skin...Glenn...